• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "Smart" oven vs. Oster "dumb(?)" oven.

Cyberider

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The bathroom perhaps?

Thought of that.  But when I use my Anova in the bathroom the lights flicker.  I suppose I could run an extension cord from the bedroom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've been testing the different settings on the new Oster Digital French Door Convection Oven.

So far, it has passed with flying colours, except for toast. It does toast. But it isn't ideal for toasting. It is just too big and takes too long.

And besides, I didn't buy it for that function and since I'm never going to toast again in it anyway I don't care.

Today, I decided to baked bread in it. The dough was hand-mixed on Saturday morning and left in the fridge until today.

I ordered a stone for this oven. Found one that is the perfect size. 15" X 12".

5ac2bd57714a4_osterovenwithstonesandpanforice.thumb.jpg.9fb530637773b1c49966c9d79d25c00a.jpg

But in the meantime while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I used three small stones that I already had, to line the rack.

5ac2bdef639fc_OsterovenfirstbreadbakeApril2nd2018.thumb.jpg.7178368e779d0568dd4f0c0b9681e9d6.jpg

Unlike the CSO, this oven doesn't offer the steam function, so I also preheated a small loaf pan so I could toss in a few ice cubes to create steam.

The oven will hold four baguette/batards when the new stone arrives.

5ac2bd93ebf51_OsterovenfirstbreadbakeApril2nd20181.thumb.jpg.359fdaa629361403ad4ef16142012ef5.jpg

Today I baked two baguettes. One was 15" and the other 13".  (after 15 minutes)

5ac2be811649e_OsterovenfirstbreadbakeApril2nd20182.thumb.jpg.8ef8daa5d058c1524379b6a759537b7a.jpg

They took 25 minutes to bake on the Turbo Convection Setting at 450°F.

5ac2bd74509c8_OsterovenfirstbreadbakeApril2nd2018sliced.thumb.jpg.42fdfbc433314c7927037480fe3cb14b.jpg

Sliced while still warm.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I've been testing the different settings on the new Oster Digital French Door Convection Oven.

So far, it has passed with flying colours, except for toast. It does toast. But it isn't ideal for toasting. It is just too big and takes too long.

And besides, I didn't buy it for that function and since I'm never going to toast again in it anyway I don't care.

Today, I decided to baked bread in it. The dough was hand-mixed on Saturday morning and left in the fridge until today.

I ordered a stone for this oven. Found one that is the perfect size. 15" X 12".

But in the meantime while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I used three small stones that I already had, to line the rack.

Unlike the CSO, this oven doesn't offer the steam function, so I also preheated a small loaf pan so I could toss in a few ice cubes to create steam.

The oven will hold four baguette/batards when the new stone arrives.

Today I baked two baguettes. One was 15" and the other 13".  (after 15 minutes)

They took 25 minutes to bake on the Turbo Convection Setting at 450°F.

Sliced while still warm.

Clearly you are the master!

• Like 1

@Ann_T

which oven did you get ?

https://www.oster.com/ovens-and-toasters/extra-large-ovens/

I see three here.

the ' black '  digital is more expensive , and I can't find out it its just for the color, or has other features.

how hard would it be to take this oven outdoors in the summer on a deck and bake there , with a sturdy extension cord from

the outdoor outlet w no rain in the forecast ?

Ive done that many times w the CSO

and where did you get the full sized stone ?

any problems w the IceCubeSteam ?

many thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

which oven did you get ?

I see three here.

the ' black '  digital is more expensive , and I can't find out it its just for the color, or has other features.

how hard would it be to take this oven outdoors in the summer on a deck and bake there , with a sturdy extension cord from

many thanks

Get a "CONTRACTOR'S" power supply cord that had a built in GFI or a switch.  The ones made for table saws  and etc.  That's what I have used when I take appliances like this out onto the deck.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 03/04/2018 at 10:04 AM, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

which oven did you get ?

I see three here.

many thanks

@rotuts I'm sorry.  I thought I had responded to your post, but apparently not.

I bought the Digital model of the French Door Oven.

5aca1569042f1_osterFrenchDoor.JPG.774758df9f4c26597ce0319a5c71887f.JPG

It was on sale at a local store for $169.00 and that is Canadian $$$$$.  I noticed today that it is back up to $199.99.

It would be easy to move outside.  Although larger in size, it isn't as heavy as the CSO.

I found the stone on line at Hubert.  The 15" X 12" should be the perfect fit. 

Here is a link to their US site.   https://www.hubert.com/search/pizza+stone.  

I paid $15.29 CAD and bought a couple of other things since the shipping was a flat rate of $12.99.

I preheated a small pan in the oven and tossed a couple of ice cubes in.  I also sprayed the loaves a couple of times in the first few minutes. 

My order is expected to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to a stone that fits the oven.  

• Like 3

I want to thank @Cyberider for starting this thread two years ago.  

I love this convection oven, as much for its size as its performance.

5accf41914b88_BaguettesintheOsternewstoneApril10th20183.thumb.jpg.61da7cbeb315f7e1d4dc820a1a8fe9c7.jpg

I baked three large baguettes this morning.    Dough was made last night and refrigerated until early this morning. 

5accf42cc0c50_BaguettesintheOsternewstoneApril10th20184.thumb.jpg.f00dec86a751df70c1a57770cece1ffa.jpg

Testing the new baking stone. 

I still can't believe how much space there is in this oven.    

5accf550c806b_BaguettesintheOsternewstoneApril10th20185.thumb.jpg.f4ac54e995023353ab83a3e879d9ee15.jpg

Just out of the oven.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I do not have room for the ovens I already have never mind another one. xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I baked three large baguettes this morning.    Dough was made last night and refrigerated until early this morning. 

Testing the new baking stone. 

I still can't believe how much space there is in this oven.    

5accf550c806b_BaguettesintheOsternewstoneApril10th20185.thumb.jpg.f4ac54e995023353ab83a3e879d9ee15.jpg

Just out of the oven.

I was also surprised by the interior volume.  My Cadco oven takes a 1/2 sheet pan but it is far more shallow and it was difficult to bake tall things in it.  So I bought the Sharp combination  Convection/Microwave which was tall but had the disadvantage of that rotating tray.

I love to bake some denser breads using the probe with the alarm so I know when the interior temp is 210° - could not do that with the rotation.

When the Sharp finally died, I was looking for a replacement and ordered the Oster.  I was so pleased with the results that I posted about it on another thread. 

Your baguettes/batards are gorgeous.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji,  Thank you.  Your advice was valuable in my decision to go with the Oster.  

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

wow

how did you add steam at the beginning as the tray looks full?

@rotuts,  I decided to go with a method I use to use years ago and just spray the loaves three times during the first 9 minutes in the oven.     With the three baguettes there wasn't room for a pan to drop ice cubs in.

The  CSO is amazing for baking small loaves.    Love the automatic steam on bread bake setting.    The crust gets that nice shine to it, but the crumb is the same regardless of which method I use. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyberider said:

And I want to thank Andie for putting me on to the Oster ovens.

You already thanked me long ago.  I'm happy that you are pleased with the results.

• Like 1

Still testing the Oster oven.

Baked the first Rhubarb Pie of the season in it yesterday morning.

5ad2194a899ba_RhubarbPieApril13th2018.thumb.jpg.f42b70df2b4e86f413390376d7e7c69c.jpg

Started it at 450°F on the bottom rack and after 15 minutes turned the temperature down

to 350°F and moved it to the upper rack.

5ad21936e91f6_RhubarbPieApril13th20182.thumb.jpg.d6b9d229f894b85eb501c10bfb80ef34.jpg

I was afraid that the top would brown before the filling cooked, but I was pleasantly surprised

at how evenly it baked.

5ad219239ba1f_RhubarbPieApril13th20181.thumb.jpg.c77627d2f5d3f55554874b3f260d2b49.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

@Ann_TIf you do not get any feed back, try dehydrating some sliced Onions..if they don’t work out no real loss.  I have done a whole Excalibur dehydrator full of onions....makes amazing onion powder....I threw my commercial onion powder out after making my own.

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

@Ann_TIf you do not get any feed back, try dehydrating some sliced Onions..if they don’t work out no real loss.  I have done a whole Excalibur dehydrator full of onions....makes amazing onion powder....I threw my commercial onion powder out after making my own.

@Okanagancook, thanks.  I'll do that.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I see that Costco US has the Oster French Door Oven (digital) on sale right now for $99.99 through November 26th. They say that sale price is $40 off. 

I'm almost tempted because I really like the idea of side-opening ovens, but the usual lament here - lack of space! Sometimes I think ditching the big oven makes sense, just go with cooktop (induction, in my case) and use a couple of the better quality toaster ovens - CSO, Oster. 

Edited to add the link:

https://www.costco.com/Oster-Digital-French-Door-Countertop-Oven.product.100407110.html

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

I've certainly enjoyed mine. I no longer have a Costco membership but I have a friend that does and I am tempted to go buy a back up for the one I have.

• Like 1