• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville "Smart" oven vs. Oster "dumb(?)" oven.

Cyberider

I had a different problem with my BSOA and replaced it with the Air.  I use it as my main oven and it gets a lot of use.   I'm curious to know if anyone has contacted Breville about this problem?  Seems rather widespread.

23 hours ago, Darienne said:

How long have you owned each oven?

We have found  that all electronic products simply fail after a certain length of time.  Just part of this AI life we lead.  

We used to shop at a certain local appliance dealer which closed up years ago.  DH was a former teacher of one of the employees who told him that if someone gets five years from a stove, fridge, etc...that person is very lucky.  

Both of them are at least a few years old, but certainly not old enough that I would expect them to both be failing (and potentially dangerous) due to the same faulty part.  Nothing lasts forever, but I would expect domestic kitchen products, particularly solid state bits on supposedly premium products that cost several hundreds of percent more than the average toaster oven, to last for a reasonable amount of time.  I'm pretty disappointed and my experience has definitely dissuaded me from purchasing other Breville products with the same circular buttons (although I don't know whether they have the same problem or not or if its just the SmartOven).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

Both of them are at least a few years old, but certainly not old enough that I would expect them to both be failing (and potentially dangerous) due to the same faulty part.  Nothing lasts forever, but I would expect domestic kitchen products, particularly solid state bits on supposedly premium products that cost several hundreds of percent more than the average toaster oven, to last for a reasonable amount of time.  I'm pretty disappointed and my experience has definitely dissuaded me from purchasing other Breville products with the same circular buttons (although I don't know whether they have the same problem or not or if its just the SmartOven).

I agree.  My Sharp Convection/Microwave oven lasted for 21 years and then the convection oven stopped heating but the microwave continued working just fine for another 5 years.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 2/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, Anna N said:

Same here.  So far only annoying. 

Good luck.  I'm on my 3rd BSO.  Would've completely quit them if not for BB&B's replacement policy.

The build quality is not very good, considering that $29 toaster ovens' are better.  The controls are flimsy and fritzy, and that f^c&ing thermal fuse Breville uses (less than the top set temperature!) is enough reason to never buy one of these. 

13 hours ago, boilsover said:

Good luck.  I'm on my 3rd BSO.  Would've completely quit them if not for BB&B's replacement policy.

The build quality is not very good, considering that $29 toaster ovens' are better.  The controls are flimsy and fritzy, and that f^c&ing thermal fuse Breville uses (less than the top set temperature!) is enough reason to never buy one of these. 

That thermal fuse issue certainly should earn the engineer his/her walking papers. That's pretty egregious. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

That thermal fuse issue certainly should earn the engineer his/her walking papers. That's pretty egregious. 

Yes.  When the first oven failed, I read up on how to "fix" it by replacing the fuse (about $1 from Radio Shack).  There are YouTube vids, but don't waste your time--they changed the design to prevent user replacement.

On 2/3/2018 at 8:13 PM, boilsover said:

Can you please explain the issue with the thermal fuse?  Is that part of the issue with the defective switch? Or is that a separate issue?

5 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

Can you please explain the issue with the thermal fuse?  Is that part of the issue with the defective switch? Or is that a separate issue?

Separate issue.  The oven just CATOs if the fuse reaches its blow temp--which is less than the oven's max temp.  Nifty, huh?

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

Separate issue.  The oven just CATOs if the fuse reaches its blow temp--which is less than the oven's max temp.  Nifty, huh?

Sorry...,but does CATO mean Catastrophe at Take Off?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

I just discovered that two 8" cake pans will fit at one time in the Oster oven.  Up until now, I've always used the big built-in oven for layer cakes because I had to.  Glad I thought to check and it worked out perfectly.  This will be particularly useful during the hot summers here in the desert.  Sorry, only one pan at a time in the Breville!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cyberider said:

I just discovered that two 8" cake pans will fit at one time in the Oster oven.  Up until now, I've always used the big built-in oven for layer cakes because I had to.  Glad I thought to check and it worked out perfectly.  This will be particularly useful during the hot summers here in the desert.  Sorry, only one pan at a time in the Breville!

I bake my angel food cakes in there in my TALL angel food pain with the feet, that certainly would not fit into a shallower oven.  

I do have to remove the top shelf for it to fit, but there is generous room for the cake to rise well above the rim of the pan.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My Waring Pro died today.   Been reading this thread from start to finish and I think I will buy the Oster with French Doors today.

A local store, London Drugs has the Digital model on sale for $169.00 Canadian.   

I was trying to find some advice as to whether the manual dials had less problems than the digital but couldn't find anything  on that, so since

the price is right I'm just going to go with the Digital.  

I use the CSO for almost everything, but the Waring came in handy for when I wanted to roast a larger bird/ham, etc...

Edited by Ann_T (log)

38 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

My Waring Pro died today.   Been reading this thread from start to finish and I think I will buy the Oster with French Doors today.

A local store, London Drugs as the Digital model on sale for $169.00 Canadian.   

I was trying to find some advice as to whether the manual dials had less problems than the digital but couldn't find anything  on that, so since

I use the CSO for almost everything, but the Waring came in handy for when I wanted to roast a larger bird/ham, etc...

The new Breville air is a bit bigger and has nice features. Not cheap but worth a look, perhaps

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

A local store, London Drugs as the Digital model on sale for $169.00 Canadian.   

I've had no problems with the digital controls on my Oster.  I love it. I can put tall vessels in it that would not fit in the other countertop ovens, not even in my Cadco.

I didn't think to take a photo.  I baked a fantastic cheese souffle last Sunday that 3 inches above the top of the baking dish and had plenty of room.  I used regular BAKE, not the turbo.

@gfweb,  I did look at the Breville Air. And the BSO.   The Breville Air was  $300 more and for what I wanted it for I think the Oster will do the trick.  Basically it will

just be used for roasting larger meats than what will fit in the CSO.  Not sure but I think the Oster is bigger.   Will hold  2 - 16" pizzas.  Although I don't plan to bake my pizzas in either oven.

@andiesenji,  good to know.  Thank you.  Going to go into town after work and pick up the Oster.

Ann

I have the Oster french door with the manual controls.  I ended up using a sharpie and an oven thermometer to note the actual temps around the dial since the printed ones were off by quite a bit.   But I love the thing.  The size is perfect for my needs and a bonus is that I can use it as a dehydrator (hello Beef Jerky and Biltong!) in the convection mode at the very low temps settings.   I don't love the broiler option on mine, but I rarely broil anything, so it might be operator misunderstanding.   I've had mine a couple years, I got a smoking deal of $99.00 delivered off Amazon, if I recall correctly.

I am drawn to the Oster but I’m so addicted to my Breville smart oven that even when it fails, and it’s threatening to do so, I don’t think I can drag myself away and switch to the Oster. Sad. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am drawn to the Oster but I’m so addicted to my Breville smart oven that even when it fails, and it’s threatening to do so, I don’t think I can drag myself away and switch to the Oster. Sad. 

That's what happened with me.  Love BSOair. And I love the CSO...complimentary units. 

Edited by gfweb (log)

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That's what happened with me.  Love BSOair. And I love the CSO...complimentary units. 

So let me understand – – – did you replace the Breville smart oven with the Breville air?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So let me understand – – – did you replace the Breville smart oven with the Breville air?

Yes, indeed. 

It feels better built...is bigger..does more...has a light. 

I'm very happy with it. 

The airfryer is a learning experience, but I'm sold on it. Schnitzel is a snap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Yes, indeed. 

It feels better built...is bigger..does more...has a light. 

I'm very happy with it. 

The airfryer is a learning experience, but I'm sold on it. Schnitzel is a snap. 

If only I had a bigger bedroom.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou