• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Cyberider

Cyberider

Follow-up after six months of use.  Both ovens continue to function.  I've used the BSO mainly for things other than loaf bread, namely pies, cookies, brownies, and corn bread.  Due to the extra headroom, I mainly use the ODO for loaf bread.  However, even with the extra headroom, there is still a problem with the tops of loaves scorching.  The upper heating elements in both ovens are on during baking, perhaps at a lower level than if toasting or broiling, but still so much that it is necessary to put foil over the tops of the loaves about halfway through the bake to keep them from scorching.  My old Toastmaster oven didn't suffer from this issue unless it was a very tall loaf and I don't think the top elements were on during baking, or at a very low level if they were.  When the warranty period is up, I may consider disconnecting the upper elements on the ODO because I have no plans to toast or broil in it and this may solve the bread scorching problem.  Otherwise, both ovens are functioning well even though I could have gotten along with just the ODO had I not just gotten the BSO.  :raz:

Cyberider

Cyberider

Follow-up after six months of use.  Both ovens continue to function.  I've used the BSO mainly for things other than loaf bread, namely pies, cookies, brownies, and corn bread.  Due to the extra headroom, I mainly use the ODO for loaf bread.  However, even with the extra headroom, there is still a problem with the tops of loaves scorching.  The upper heating elements in both ovens are on during baking, perhaps at a lower level than if toasting or broiling, but still so much that it is necessary to put foil over the tops of the loaves about halfway through the bake to keep them from scorching.  My old Toastmaster oven didn't suffer from this issue unless it was a very tall loaf and I don't think the top elements were on during baking, or at a very low level if they were.  When the warranty period is up, I may consider disconnecting the upper elements on the ODO because I have no plans to toast or broil in it and this may solve the bread scorching problem.  Otherwise, both ovens are functioning well even though I could have gotten along with just the ODO had I not just gotten the CSO.  :raz: