• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Las Vegas

Wild_Yeast

Hi there, my name is Tim, I've just joined egullet, again. I used to be a member a while back 2007 and was active for a while  but after 2009 I didn't have a computer anymore so I just let it go and then eventually forgotten my user name and password. Anyways, I re-joined in the hopes of getting other members insight regarding food in general.

As of late, I've been delving into the mysteries of wild fermentation, done in the way of our ancestors. Currently I have a few projects going on such as, Doenjjang/ Korean soy bean paste, soy sauce, Nukazuke/rice bran pickle, Kombucha and kimchi and a lot more in the future. Aside from fermentation, my first passion is cooking. I don't discriminate when it comes to food. My strongest suit would be Asian cuisine, and then a dabbling of Middle Eastern,Indian, Spanish, Italian and American then I just pretty much suck at the rest of the European nation's cuisine and Great Britain. I drink coffee and tea, but I do prefer the latter, and have developed an unnecessary obsession with tea wares. Thank you for having me here once again and I wish you all a fabulous day!  - Tim

• Like 4

Hello, and welcome back! There are some serious kimchi aficionados on here, so let's hear more. Looking forward to learning from you!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thank you for the warm welcome Kayb! I'd me more than happy to share my experiences with Kimchi. Just made a fresh batch of regular kimchi, white kimchi, cucumber kimchi/side dish and cubed radish kimchi yesterday. Will last us about two to three weeks. I make them often enough I will post next time for sure. 

8 hours ago, sartoric said:

Welcome to a world of information sharing (and fun).  I'm keen to read about your meals and fermentation endeavours :)

Thanks @sartoric I did miss this, I forgot how fun the challenges are as well. Several of my fermentation projects are gonna get more activity once fall hits here in the desert. Right now it's still too hot outside and I can't afford keeping all of that fermenting smell inside my home. Heh the neighbors might think I might be harboring a dead body lol. But I will keep you all posted. I'm also trying to revive dormant threads regarding pickling and fermentation. I'd love to get people interested in it again, and urge everyone interested to give it a shot. 

Edited by Wild_Yeast (log)
  • Like 1

Welcome, Wild_Yeast.  So far my experimentation for fermentation is sauerkraut and standard dill pickles - well, and sourdough bread. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Welcome, Wild_Yeast.  So far my experimentation for fermentation is sauerkraut and standard dill pickles - well, and sourdough bread. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to.

Sauerkraut fermentation is very much like kimchi, it's kinda in the same ballpark with the similar bacterias at play. Funny you mentioned sourdough, my handle is Wild_Yeast which is mostly associated with sourdough culture yet I'm intimidated by bread making lol I've never had a try in making bread, but who knows with enough encouragement from you guys, I might just plunge into it. 

24 minutes ago, Wild_Yeast said:

Sauerkraut fermentation is very much like kimchi, it's kinda in the same ballpark with the similar bacterias at play. Funny you mentioned sourdough, my handle is Wild_Yeast which is mostly associated with sourdough culture yet I'm intimidated by bread making lol I've never had a try in making bread, but who knows with enough encouragement from you guys, I might just plunge into it. 

I think I subconsciously associated you with sourdough because of your handle. If you do want to get into it, you'll have a lot of company!  Here are two topics you may find interesting:

eGCI (eGullet Culinary Institute) course: Sourdough Bread

and a more recent topic

Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think I subconsciously associated you with sourdough because of your handle. If you do want to get into it, you'll have a lot of company!  Here are two topics you may find interesting:

eGCI (eGullet Culinary Institute) course: Sourdough Bread

and a more recent topic

Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter

Merci! @Smithy that thread looks like a science experiment, I love it already! 

• Like 1