• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cured nasturtiums

boudin noir

I have a few nasturtium plants growing and would like to cure them to use like capers. Most of the recipes I have seen suggest brining and the storing in vinegar.

Since I don't have an abundence of plants the seeds will come in waves and I was wondering if I could just store them in salt as they come in or if I must brine each batch and then vinegar them?

Should be fine for a few weeks refrigerated.  To be honest, I don't think they are anything like the pungent capers from the Mediterranean. A very different plant; a shrub, not a tender salad plant.

I'm just considering a couple of recipes and they seem to suggest between 24 and 48 hours in brine to soften the flavour anyway. Gonna try the actual pickling tomorrow since today got away with me!