• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy free salted caramel?

martin0642

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone had success with a dairy free (ie vegan) salted caramel recipe that they'd like to share?

I'm just introducing a vegan chocolate range and I'm planning to offer basically the exact same chocolates I do in the non-vegan range....but i'm a bit stuck on the salted caramel

I've found a bunch of recipes but they seem to be largely just pureed dates or combinations of ingredients that ....well ...just don't sit right. One criticism I have of existing vegan chocolates is that they're generally not very tasty (compared to non vegan versions)...there's too much "this is sort of like the non vegan thing so it will do". I've sourced a decent vegan milk chocolate and I make a dark chocolate that's fine so most confections I'm making turn out just fine (replacing cream and butter with rice milk and coconut oil) - in fact they have a cleaner taste than non vegan versions which I kinda  like. 

But as you all know...a caramel (as used in confections) relies on the dairy fats for that rich flavour and I'm struggling to understand how the alternative fats I could use will work. I see things that suggest coconut oil or cocoa butter as alternatives but the melting points seem to be an issue as does the final texture. Mostly i'm concerned what will happen to them when sat on a shelf for a week or two in a shop.

So - any pointers would be very gratefully received"!!

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

Yeah, sorry, that'll take some experimentation.  I do think that a combo of coconut oil and cocoa butter sounds like a good way to go for the fat, as all coconut oil would be a bit soft and all cocoa butter would be a bit hard.  Good luck!

• 3 months later...