• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh goji berries. Thoughts?

Anna N

My daughter planted goji berries and is now reaping an abundance of them.  Searches don't seem to find very much about ways to use fresh goji berries.  I get many results for dried berries.  I know dried ones are very popular in Asian cuisines but she's unlikely to ever attempt that!  Any thoughts?  Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Tere said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanghulu ?

I am biased because I thought that this was fresh goji berries until @liuzhou educated me :D

Hmmm. Perhaps not. :D

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It was a serious suggestion. Goji has a sweet / tart profile as I understand it and those things are very tasty! :)

It's essentially toffee (notapples) with a bit of sesame if liked.

Edited by Tere (log)

I planted two goji berry plant last year and the fresh fruit aren't bad for eating either. Haven't seen berries yet this year but tons of flowers on mine right now. You can add them in yogurt or oatmeal like blueberries. If the abundance is overwhelming you can freeze them and add to smoothies , as they should contain the same amount of antioxidants probably more than the dried ones or you can dry them as well yourself... Beats $18/lb at the store any day. 

Edited by Wild_Yeast (log)

On August 21, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Tere said:

From the briefest of skims these people seem to think they are unlovely fresh. http://growingfruit.org/t/does-anyone-like-goji-berries/908/2. Cheap dryer or low oven for the benefits?

It reminds me a bit of my response to amelanchier (juneberries).

We waited til they were deep red and has a give like a raspberry before we picked them off the plant. The orangey red fruits(not so ripe) does tend to be astringent vs the deep scarlet ones, which are really sweet. 

Thanks @Tere and @Wild_Yeast

I did a fairly comprehensive search before I posted my question here and concluded that the most efficient way to handle them was to freeze them and use them in smoothies.   

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog