• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quadriga

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

203 posts in this topic

Fridge.  It'll be fine in there for, say, a couple of months.  Flavor will start to fade a little, but it won't get nasty. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Craig E said:

Also, is ruby port shelf-stable, or do I need to fridge it/drink it fast?

Just don't leave it in reach of my MIL

3 people like this

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I picked up 3-1.75 ml bottles of J.W. Dant vodka a couple days ago, as I have been doing for years, at the Cary state liquor monopoly. J.W. Dant is a lower priced vodka, $12.95, but has always been the best choice in that price range until today. I opened the first one tonight, and it immediately tasted and smelled like it was tainted with something. It smells like isopropyl rubbing alcohol. That is quite poisonous, and I'm sure that they did not deliberately taint my liquor with a poison. Maybe cleaning chemicals in a vat that were insufficiently cleaned out?

The worst part is that I pounded on the web site trying to contact them, which they make impossible, with Captcha after Captcha challenges, but guess what? These unethical people run a website that does not allow you to contact them, but then subscribes you to their feed, and the Unsubscribe button is as ineffective as is their Contact button. I have enjoyed their vodka for years, but at this point, I am really steamed. >:(

Perhaps they really are stupid enough to poison customers in probably the most litigious society in the world? I will definitely be rethinking my regular vodka purchases, and probably deleting a lot of unwanted spam. 

For anyone this may affect, the only thing different on these horrible tasting, possibly poisonous bottles is in the lower left hand corner of the label. The last batch, which was fine, had 240-4672 and the way, way off batch has 240-6011 on all three bottles. I opened a second one to smell it after tasting the first one, and sure enough, chemical isopropyl alcohol smell. To top it off, the state monopoly does not allow refunds for any reason.

Can anyone recommend an alternative brand of vodka in this same price range that tastes okay? 

> ^ . . ^ <

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0