• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Quadriga

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Lagavulin anything.....one of my favs.  Your friend is very clever and to be trusted.

• Like 1

Ive tried the Lagavulin 16

first of all , Im not much of a distilled drink person these day 

I will say this is an astonishing drink.

I mixed a ' dram ' of the whisky with a little bit of cold water

Ive been told that's what you do.

at about 1 unit of whisky and 1/2 unit of water , the alcohol burn receded 

and very fine whisky flavor remained 

it was a very enjoyable drink

no medicinal character at all.

that vein said , the ' finish ' remained for some time

I not sure when one should drink this.   clearly during the colder months

and probably not before a delicate filet of sole dinner.

very nice drink

• Like 3

This is a great whisky indeed. 

Also, it pairs well with a dark chocolate dessert 😉

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, damaaster said:

Today I finally splurged a bit - and decided to buy this bottle that I've heard so many good things about but have never actually tried. Hope it was worth it:)

Photo's of my Bar & Recipe Ideas

Carpano.jpg

Lovely stuff IMHO

• Like 1

A bit of background. I am Canadian - and more specifically from Manitoba - which means all our liquor sales are governed by the province. This means our selection is pretty limited. That said, every now and then, they do special releases, (limited quantities). Over the weekend I went to my first ever limited release, and was really hoping to score a bottle of Weller 12. I've heard great things, and have also heard how hard they are to find (even in the USA).

I brought 2 friends of mine with me, because I assumed it would be a limit of 1 bottle per customer (which it was). Anyways, long story short, I was able to walk away with THREE bottles of Weller 12. I also snagged 2 Stagg Jrs (which i don't THINK are as rare...however we never get them up here so I am not sure). I also grabbed 2 bottles of E.H Single Barrel (again - we never get any E.H up here).

This may not be a huge deal for some of the American's on here - but I'm pretty excited...I think I'm going to have to make some trips down to the USA to try and find a few other good bottles we can't get up here.

I haven't opened any of them yet - as I am just getting over a cold, and want to be 100% when I crack em. What should I try first?

Release Jpeg.jpg

• Like 1