• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Quadriga

17 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Wut?

I re-read @tanstaafl2's reply. He is helping you determine the actual distillery. He neither contradicted anything you said nor implied that you were spreading false information. I appreciate @tanstaafl2's expertise, enjoy his posts, and usually learn something.

I was probably being oversensitive.

> ^ . . ^ <

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for checking. Your link seems to refer to a J.B. Dant and my longtime brand was J.W. Dant. Maybe that was his great-great-great-great ... grandfather or something?

It doesn't really matter to me where it was distilled as long as the vodka tastes smooth and can pretty much disappear in water. I have found that in Bowman's and used to find it in Dant's.

I'm really sorry I opened up this can of worms and apologize if I offended anyone.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:50 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thanks for checking. Your link seems to refer to a J.B. Dant and my longtime brand was J.W. Dant. Maybe that was his great-great-great-great ... grandfather or something?

It doesn't really matter to me where it was distilled as long as the vodka tastes smooth and can pretty much disappear in water. I have found that in Bowman's and used to find it in Dant's.

I'm really sorry I opened up this can of worms and apologize if I offended anyone.

No offense here! I freely admit vodka is not my forte. I suppose I was just waxing poetic and drifted off subject a bit! Vodka labeled by a brand could very well be made at some giant neutral grain distillery and bottled by Heaven Hill or perhaps redistilled by them before labeling.

Hang on because I seem likely to start waxing poetic again! :B

Wax On!

The great overlord that is North Carolina' ABC Commission does note that JW Dant vodka is a Heaven Hill brand but that does not guarantee it is from the same distillery as the bourbon (which is currently distilled in Louisville, KY). Bardstown is Heaven Hills corporate HQ but the distillery burned down in the 90's and so all distilling was moved to Louisville when they bought a old and well known distillery there usually referred by its older name, the Bernheim distillery.

And I have no absolute certainty with regard to where Bowman vodka comes from either. The information I posted is accurate for their whiskey but might not apply to the vodka. They also have a rum which I know is sourced from an unspecified Caribbean distillery but unfortunately that tells us nothing about the vodka either!

There is a number that would be reasonably definitive which is called a DSP or Distilled Spirits Plant number which would help define the source (this site shows DSP numbers for many Kentucky distilleries for example). It is not without a few flaws either. Dant has a DSP on their Bottled in Bond or "BIB" bourbon but no DSP on their vodka as far as I know. Unfortunately it is not required to be on every bottle of alcohol made. I wish it was!. Typically it is found on things that are "BIB" which is mostly a few brands of straight American whiskey like the JW Dant BIB or Heaven Hill BIB 6yo.

One exception used to be Lairds Apple Brandy which had a Bottled in Bond brand. Unfortunately they couldn't keep up with demand and now use some brandy that is young than what is allowed (has to be at least 4 years old) so they can't currently call it Bottled in Bond or "BIB" anymore.

Wax Off!

• Like 4

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I think the Bowman rum is sourced from DDL in Guyana, is c memory serves me right. When I visited they were more than happy to share the info.  Sure they would do the same with their vodka and gin. 

• 3 weeks later...

Visit to Booze Mecca Hi-Time. I kept it under $200...

Hi Times purchases

Chauffe Coeur rhum agricole blanc from Martinique (I have to try all the white agricoles as a matter of principle), Christian Drouin pommeau because I love calvados and this seemed interesting, Sipsmith VJOP because over proof and very junipery, amaro sfumato rabarbaro because I didn't have a smoky amaro in my collection, Dopo Teatro Cocchi vermouth amaro because a vermouth - amaro combo sounded interesting like Punt e Mes, and the Michter's rye was a restock (it's delicious).

• Like 5

From my local monger:  a restock of Appleton 12 and a bottle of Soave.  In the cool of the evening I trudged over.

What I did not receive today was a case of Soave ordered from drinkupny on 7/20.  2017.  I finally emailed drinkupny this afternoon.  Seems my wine is waiting to clear customs.  I was afraid they would say the grapes were waiting for the harvest.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, it was a charity shop rather than a booze shop, but I found three of these rather nice glasses:

Glass.png

I can report that they in no way detract from the taste of a Miramar, posted recently.

• Like 4

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 2 months later...

I find it difficult to believe nobody's bought any booze since October!

Mezcals are rare here - at least, good ones - so I was happy to find these in one of my haunts yesterday:

Mezcals.png

I've had the reposado version of the Gracias a Dios before (sold out, alas) and highly recommend it.  The Derrumbes is a new one to me but smells promising.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I just checked my Total Wine & More account as I opened this and I can confirm, I've bought a ton of stuff since December.

I feel weird posting it, seems like a humble brag.

But there's two purchases which aren't humble brags, it's a pure brag.

That's my Osocalis Apple Brandy 750 ml that I bought for less than $50 on sale.

And my St. George Agricole Rum 750 ml that I bought for $25 on sale.

Total Wine & More has amazing discounts on small local distilleries. I couldn't believe those when I saw it, so I had to snatch it up. I'm making a proper Mai Tai with the Agricole Rum tonight. ;)

• Like 1

Nothing exotic here:

I got a big bottle of Smirnoff (is that 2 liters?)

A 750l bootle of Smirnoff 100 proof to make my homemade Orangecello,

Big bottle of Kailua 

Big bottle of Irish Cream

750l bottle of Tanqueray (love a dirty martini)

Ready for the next blizzard now!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

I was thinking about getting the big bottle of Costco American Vodka, Mr. Smokey took the other one to a party. O.o That's ok, it was going on two years, still over half of it left.

I love Costco, a bottle of booze from there can last me a decade.

It's been quite a while since I bought anything new but a spate of holiday Réveillon cocktails used up my Laird's and it's not available in my immediate neighborhood so I placed an order with Hi-Time  yesterday.

Here's what was delivered today, all but one still wearing their travel attire :D

IMG_6820.thumb.jpg.25d1252d9442532b9b0545236940f2a0.jpg

The Laird's, Plantation pineapple rum, Punt e Mes and Elijah Craig are restocks.  The pineapple rum was $22.99 vs $31.99 @ Total Wine and the vermouth was $15.99 vs $23.99 @ Total Wine so those 2 covered the delivery charge of $11.99/case.  I wanted a bottle of the Bigallet China China but it's out of stock so I tossed in the Elijah Craig to fill up the box, even though it's exactly the same price.

New to me are:

IMG_6822.thumb.jpg.69cd9e19ef9b12b19c007beef1ec72d7.jpg

The Barr Hill Gin is a recent purchase from Trader Joe's and decided to join the group photo.  I've been enjoying it with some fresh lime juice - thanks to the honey, it doesn't really need more sweetening.  Suze is new to me. I''ve been using Salers so I'll be interested in comparing them in a white negroni. I really can't remember what I wanted the Batavia-Arrack for but it was out of stock last time I ordered. I figured it will come to me  eventually xD.  The Strawberry Brandy is a local product and I've been meaning to get over to their distillery to try their Persimmon Brandy.  I don't believe they are distributing that one yet so I went with the berries. 

Finally, three new-to-me amari - 2 from SoCal:

IMG_6821.thumb.jpg.00b74e5acc57e14d4aeb143368f18b46.jpg

The Amaro della Sirene is made by an Italian in Oregon and is flanked by the 2 LA offerings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I really can't remember what I wanted the Batavia-Arrack for but it was out of stock last time I ordered. I figured it will come to me  eventually xD

Mississippi punch!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

@blue_dolphin love to see what you do with these, especially the Peche and Strawberry brandy, which I've never seen before. I still can't get into Amaros, I need to give it another try.

I bought the Peche after a recent Cocktail Virgin Slut blog post about a negroni-like cocktail with a bit of the peach liqueur. Sounded interesting. 

I don't have anything planned for the Strawberry Brandy, other than when having friends over for brunch, I like to put out a variety of liqueurs that can be used to make Kir-type champagne cocktails or added to sparkling water for something light. 

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mississippi punch!

By Jove, I think you've got it!  Thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

By Jove, I think you've got it!  Thank you!

Brigade-Major Thomas Unett 1850 version, via @Splificator.  I know it well.  My dear son asked why I had five bottles of arrack.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got an unexpected late Christmas gift today. Naturally, first thing that came to mind was the liquor store. ^_^

eGullet, please help me, what should I buy next?

This is my collection so far (did I mention I'm a bit obsessive?), its grown since I last posted. I don't know how I ended up with so many bottles? :S It's a good problem to have!

Kirkland 1.75L London Dry Gin

Bombay Sapphire

Grey Goose Vodka (it was a gift)

St. Germain

Myer's Dark Rum

St George Rhum Agricole

Osocalis Apple Brandy

Angostura Bitters

Hella Citrus Bitters

Chambord

Remy 1738 Cognac

Champagne, Gloria Ferrar

Martini Rossi Dry Vermouth

Morey Orange Liquer

DeKruper Triple Sec

Luxardo Marachino Liquer

Campari

I have roughly $100. I don't mind buying 375ml because I'm the only drinker in the household. 375ml lasts me a long time.

I'm thinking of Green Chartreuse , an Absinthe, Appleton Reserve Rum... and one more thing should take me to $100.

Good? Bad? Suggestions?

28 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

I have roughly $100. I don't mind buying 375ml because I'm the only drinker in the household. 375ml lasts me a long time.

I'm thinking of Green Chartreuse , an Absinthe, Appleton Reserve Rum... and one more thing should take me to $100.

Good? Bad? Suggestions?

Maybe rye?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

Good? Bad? Suggestions?

I'm not sure how you plan to use the Absinthe but most of the cocktails I've made with it just use it as a rinse so you might want to go really small with that one.  My local Total Wine has 50 ml and 100 ml bottles available.  That might free up enough $ for another bottle.

I'd want to add a rye (Rittenhouse is affordable and good for cocktails) and/or bourbon and a sweet vermouth (you can go with a 375 here) to your collection.   Tequila is also missing but I'm not sure if you are interested in that or not. 

• Like 1

Rittenhouse Rye sounds good. I am sorely lacking in the whiskey dept.

Should I also get a scotch? They have 18 yr old scotch at Costco for $38. That's a deal, but I'm afraid I won't like it. I tried Scotch a long time ago and hated it, but it could've been cheap stuff.

And I'm curious about Mezcal. I think I'll wait on the Appleton and try a Mezcal.

Thanks for your suggestions!