• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Quadriga

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

17 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Wut?

I re-read @tanstaafl2's reply. He is helping you determine the actual distillery. He neither contradicted anything you said nor implied that you were spreading false information. I appreciate @tanstaafl2's expertise, enjoy his posts, and usually learn something.

I was probably being oversensitive.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for checking. Your link seems to refer to a J.B. Dant and my longtime brand was J.W. Dant. Maybe that was his great-great-great-great ... grandfather or something?

It doesn't really matter to me where it was distilled as long as the vodka tastes smooth and can pretty much disappear in water. I have found that in Bowman's and used to find it in Dant's.

I'm really sorry I opened up this can of worms and apologize if I offended anyone.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:50 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thanks for checking. Your link seems to refer to a J.B. Dant and my longtime brand was J.W. Dant. Maybe that was his great-great-great-great ... grandfather or something?

It doesn't really matter to me where it was distilled as long as the vodka tastes smooth and can pretty much disappear in water. I have found that in Bowman's and used to find it in Dant's.

I'm really sorry I opened up this can of worms and apologize if I offended anyone.

No offense here! I freely admit vodka is not my forte. I suppose I was just waxing poetic and drifted off subject a bit! Vodka labeled by a brand could very well be made at some giant neutral grain distillery and bottled by Heaven Hill or perhaps redistilled by them before labeling.

Hang on because I seem likely to start waxing poetic again! :B

Wax On!

The great overlord that is North Carolina' ABC Commission does note that JW Dant vodka is a Heaven Hill brand but that does not guarantee it is from the same distillery as the bourbon (which is currently distilled in Louisville, KY). Bardstown is Heaven Hills corporate HQ but the distillery burned down in the 90's and so all distilling was moved to Louisville when they bought a old and well known distillery there usually referred by its older name, the Bernheim distillery.

And I have no absolute certainty with regard to where Bowman vodka comes from either. The information I posted is accurate for their whiskey but might not apply to the vodka. They also have a rum which I know is sourced from an unspecified Caribbean distillery but unfortunately that tells us nothing about the vodka either!

There is a number that would be reasonably definitive which is called a DSP or Distilled Spirits Plant number which would help define the source (this site shows DSP numbers for many Kentucky distilleries for example). It is not without a few flaws either. Dant has a DSP on their Bottled in Bond or "BIB" bourbon but no DSP on their vodka as far as I know. Unfortunately it is not required to be on every bottle of alcohol made. I wish it was!. Typically it is found on things that are "BIB" which is mostly a few brands of straight American whiskey like the JW Dant BIB or Heaven Hill BIB 6yo.

One exception used to be Lairds Apple Brandy which had a Bottled in Bond brand. Unfortunately they couldn't keep up with demand and now use some brandy that is young than what is allowed (has to be at least 4 years old) so they can't currently call it Bottled in Bond or "BIB" anymore.

Wax Off!

• Like 3

I think the Bowman rum is sourced from DDL in Guyana, is c memory serves me right. When I visited they were more than happy to share the info.  Sure they would do the same with their vodka and gin. 

Posted (edited)

The Nastro D'Oro Avvero Campania is absolutely delicious - bit of mint, bit of cola, bit of citrus.  Haven't tried the Gifford Passionfruit yet.

aviary_1502643997970.jpg

Edited by Smithy Rotated photo to upright position (log)
  • Like 3

Visit to Booze Mecca Hi-Time. I kept it under $200...

Hi Times purchases

Chauffe Coeur rhum agricole blanc from Martinique (I have to try all the white agricoles as a matter of principle), Christian Drouin pommeau because I love calvados and this seemed interesting, Sipsmith VJOP because over proof and very junipery, amaro sfumato rabarbaro because I didn't have a smoky amaro in my collection, Dopo Teatro Cocchi vermouth amaro because a vermouth - amaro combo sounded interesting like Punt e Mes, and the Michter's rye was a restock (it's delicious).

• Like 5

From my local monger:  a restock of Appleton 12 and a bottle of Soave.  In the cool of the evening I trudged over.

What I did not receive today was a case of Soave ordered from drinkupny on 7/20.  2017.  I finally emailed drinkupny this afternoon.  Seems my wine is waiting to clear customs.  I was afraid they would say the grapes were waiting for the harvest.

• Like 3

Another run to Hi-Times. Doing some tiki exploration. 

IMG_4204.JPG

• Like 3

OK, it was a charity shop rather than a booze shop, but I found three of these rather nice glasses:

Glass.png

I can report that they in no way detract from the taste of a Miramar, posted recently.

• Like 4