• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Quadriga

Just finished making a triple batch of my variation of Amer Boudreau, yielding 6.5 bottles. Unlike last time, after straining off the 95% Everclear, I washed the peels in 8 oz of hot water, and added that. It seemed to have a nice orange flavor, but it did add quite a bit of cloudiness. It drops the proof to 96%, which is fine. If it was a mistake, I'll be drinking it up for quite some time. Brooklyns anyone?

• Like 3

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

On 2/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, EvergreenDan said:

I think the 10 works very well in cocktails, where the extra "disinfectiousness" is a benefit.

After grabbing a bottle of the Quarter Cask and then discovering just how much I did not like it, I was hoping mixing would be the secret for me as well. But that did not prove to be the case, I just couldn't find a way to like it. I tried a cocktail that I can no longer remember the name of that combined the Laphroaig in equal parts with 3 other ingredients and initially thought I was ok with it but a second attempt convinced me I was wrong... so I gifted the bottle to a friend who actually enjoys it. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't tried it yet, but Hampden Estate Single Jamaican Rum Overproof.  Will be fun to compare with Smith & Cross.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2016 at 10:13 PM, lesliec said:

Every now and then, this little country I live in surprises me.  We can usually only get a couple of average mezcals, rye is rare (but fortunately includes Rittenhouse), Smith & Cross was impossible until only a few months ago.  Then I find one of our better booze shops has this:

Zwack.thumb.png.3c7d6474e216de7935ec398e

Not being a trained Hungarian, I don't think I'll be drinking it on its own - it's a bit too seriously medicinal (heading in a Fernet direction, but not as intense as that).  But it works really well in one of these.  A 500ml bottle is the equivalent of USD30 or so, but I can see myself getting it again.

I picked up a couple bottles of this when I was in Budapest last year! I read somewhere that the exported version’s recipe is slightly different (plus I found some kind of “special edition” variety at the same shop), so I figured it was worth the extra space in my luggage. Got a few varieties of pálinka while I was at it, too. :)

Got a bottle of Benedictine. Which is only noteworthy because I haven't been able to get one until the semi-fairly-recent change that allows ordering LCBO products online and having them shipped to your local store. It actually wasn't that recent that they made that change... I'm just trying not to admit that I'd completely forgotten I wanted it. I was almost tempted into a bottle of the Licor 43 while I was at it but couldn't quite justify it because the only reason I was considering it was for a couple of recipes from the Smuggler's Cove book. I looked for information for substituting something else and didn't find anything so it still may happen at some point.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 month later...

Three new gins, don't know what the pink craze is about, but I'm not complaining. I had found the Flor de Savilla last year and loved it, really glad to find it again. Nice orange flavour. Gordon's pink has a decidedly cream soda taste to it. Have not cracked the Beefeater yet. 

15579659449972294930435085480605.jpg

Edited by choux (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Found these 2 yesterday, sorry for the soft focus, smashed my camera lens. Amazed the pics look as good as they do. 

I have an older bottle of Dorothy Parker, with the old labels. I think it smells slightly different, a little less floral? 

It was a bottle I made 1 drink from and loved, and thought 'gotta save this for something special because it is delish', and haven't used it since. The special never comes, so I'll try and drink it up.

20190617_150845.jpg

• Like 1

Finally rememberd to put Canada Ddy tonic into the fridge(my baseline for tasting new gins), and oh my the Nikka gin is wonderful. 

Yuzu comes through very nicely. I cannot think of any similar gin to compare. I am slightly sad it is so delicious and also $80/bottle. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:04 PM, choux said:

Finally rememberd to put Canada Ddy tonic into the fridge(my baseline for tasting new gins), and oh my the Nikka gin is wonderful. 

Yuzu comes through very nicely. I cannot think of any similar gin to compare. I am slightly sad it is so delicious and also $80/bottle. 

Agreed, I love the Nikka coffey gin. I bought my second bottle a few weeks ago.

What is interesting about it as well is the long peppery finish (subtle yet noticeable). I love the fact that it incorporates all these interesting uniquely Japanese flavors, but is very restrained at the same time. It makes delicious sours - I used my first bottle to make Southsides mostly.

Luckily it is only about $50 in California! (It doesn't come in the fancy cardboard packaging though... :D)

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)
  • Like 3

It was last week, not today, but here's the haul from our road trip (not the reason for the trip, but I would have been massively remiss if I didn't take advantage of the lower taxes).

left.jpg

right.jpg

• Like 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

30 minutes ago, EvergreenDan said:

I've had the Ransom Old Tom. How does the dry compare? Same heavy spices? Coriander as I recall was very prominent in the Old Tom.

This is my first foray into Old Tom territory. I'll let you know after I sample it. The dry isn't heavily spiced, though, at least not to my palate.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 months later...

I stopped by Total Wine and stocked up for Réveillon season:

IMG_1648.thumb.jpeg.55a4a98ed540875edfaf68ed4a15eb07.jpeg

They were out of the Clear Creek Pear Brandy I usually get but I have enough left that I can compare it with this German bottle.  Tasting them neat, the Clear Creek tastes more of ripe pear and the German brandy has more of a green pear flavor. I suspect it will be fine in the cocktail though.

I like the Réveillon with Carpano Antica, the Punt e Mes is more of a general restock. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I stopped at the store this afternoon to replenish Cointreau and rhum.  Having turned the apartment upside down last night searching for the Cointreau I bought last month.  Eventually I gave up and looked at the receipt.  The receipt did not list Cointreau.  I distinctly recall taking Cointreau to the counter.  Oh well.

When it came time to make my mai tai I unscrewed the Cointreau cap.  Something felt lumpy.  Stinkbug makes a novel* garnish.  Sorry, no picture.

*if non-traditional.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Couple repeats and a couple new ones...

Sheringham gins are really tasty, I dont know how widely they are distributed, but if you can get them try them. From Vancouver Island.

Just found Hendrick's Midsummer today, a bit early for a drink yet so haven't tried. Also the Mcqueen and Violet Fog. Mouthful of a name.

Anyone else tried these?

20200214_140917.jpg

• Like 2

Oh YES.  The Seaside Gin is outta this world...a splash of Vermouth and a couple of olives.  I see they have the World’s Best Gin sticker on it...a bargain at around $35...we bought six bottles last year when we learned of the award...gave a couple away and find we could do with a couple of bottles in reserve.

have not tried their other offerings...what is the Kasuki like?

we live in the Penticton area and it is available at three private stores...have not looked in the Government store because I hate buying from them.

for those who do not know. 

https://www.sheringhamdistillery.com

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Kazuki is pretty soft, not much juniper but citrus and floral. 

$35? I think it was more like $45 here 🙄

From a private store as well. 

Just opened the McQueen and having a gin & tonic, seems citrusy and herbal, not very junipery. Not super distinctive. I'll try a martini later. 

The martini with the Seaside will knock your socks off...we do 2 1/2 oz Gin and 1/2 oz Vermouth (it is your standard Vermouth to let the Gin shine).

I think will seek out the other spirits on offer at Sheringham....I see a 'tasting' in the offing.

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

i noticed the Pear Brandy.

and at TotalWine , which is near me.

Ill look for Clear Creek.

there is no Clear Creek in my store

only in CT

Odd.   Ill ask if I remember

My Total Wine has been out of the Clear Creek pear for quite a while.  Also the Grappa.  They still have Clear Creek cherry brandy and raspberry liqueur in stock. 

The German pear brandy I got worked just fine in the Réveillon.  I batched the recipe for a party over the holidays and it was a big hit.