• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Quadriga

The Premise and the 2005 arrived in Atlanta but the one I really wanted a resupply of, Dominus, has for some reason not appeared. That was the bottle I brought back from Barbados that I really wanted more of!

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

get ready to Yawn  !

1163572977_Negronimix.thumb.jpg.d7f80437894b6660149758169d087f3f.jpg

Im a wine drinker

but over the years

the LunchLadies have finally corrupted me.  these LL's:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156882-manitoulin-–-–-change-is-in-the-air/?page=11&tab=comments#comment-2161538

Im entering the Twilight Zone.

and I going to try a Negroni tonight  this evening   later.

of note that's  2.250 liters of Negroni's right there !suprise.gif.20cab4bc96d22e4915d8fedbe4fb7779.gif

I did note at TotalWine there was Negroni vermouth :

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/dessert-fortified-wine/aperitif/campari-negroni-rtd/p/172205010?s=1701&igrules=true

seemed a bit steep   more than the Bombay !

reporting later on the Drinks ! thread for the first time !

money-mouth.gif.8a1a42bb6442d4ebc5c0441af1ed5287.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I did note at TotalWine there was Negroni vermouth :

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/dessert-fortified-wine/aperitif/campari-negroni-rtd/p/172205010?s=1701&igrules=true

seemed a bit steep   more than the Bombay !

I've seen that stuff at my Total Wine and also noted the relatively high price.  Note that the linked Campari Negroni is actually a ready to drink pre-mixed Negroni cocktail.  

I guess it could be handy in some situations but it takes away all the fun of mixing!  

While you're waiting for the appropriate hour, you could also peruse the Ideal Negroni thread for some background reading xD

Looking forward to your report! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im a wine drinker

The Wall Street Journal recently reported a CO2 shortage impacting the beverage industry.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Wall Street Journal recently reported a CO2 shortage impacting the beverage industry.

Perhaps that is why we cannot find decent soda water no decent tonic water in any of our local stores.   I thought it was just a European issue.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps that is why we cannot find decent soda water no decent tonic water in any of our local stores.   I thought it was just a European issue.

I believe it is just a European issue, but my MR cartridges come from Austria.

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I believe it is just a European issue, but my MR cartridges come from Austria.

That doesn’t explain why we can’t find soda water or tonic water. It is a puzzlement.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That doesn’t explain why we can’t find soda water or tonic water. It is a puzzlement.  

Make your own!  Plenty of water where you are.  @feste sells tonic.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

P.S.:  the gin is in the freezer and the other two in the refrigerator.

But why?

You do want to have some dilution. It (=water) is basically an as crucial ingredient as spirits, juices etc. in order to get a balanced drink..

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, rotuts said:

its very humid here

That gin bottle will be so good at pretending the humidity doesn't bother it that you'll stop worrying in no time at all. :P

• Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m looking at sources of 2005 exceptional cask.   Have a bunch of ‘04s but ‘05 is stellar.  Thinking of heading back to Barbados next year and stocking up on what’s still available and what’s new.  Customs was a breeze last time.  Hope it’s the same 

And Barbados was a nice beach venue.  I’m happy around the coast.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 9:56 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

The Premise and the 2005 arrived in Atlanta but the one I really wanted a resupply of, Dominus, has for some reason not appeared. That was the bottle I brought back from Barbados that I really wanted more of!

I bought a 6 pack I think from Astor

Total Wine had RL Seale on special  for $22.99.  Bought 6, all they had.  It reminds me a lot of the 2004 exceptional cask at a lower proof

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

My liquor store was out of Absolut Peppar so I bought STOL Hot instead,   Big mistake, it's awful.  I'll have to use it up in my bloody Mary’s instead.  It tasted terrible when I used it in my Gibson.

@lindag

if only you could feel this In-The-Hand !

Im not a cut-crystal person 

to many fancy swirls etc

this is simple and the cuts are deep.

Im very happy I spotted this a long time ago 

at an extraordinary exchange rate.