• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Quadriga

Most recent arrivals.  I only get to keep three(those on the left) of these since I split this shipment with someone else to keep shipping costs down.   Not pictured is a Hamilton 9 yr CS that I reupped on my last time in DC.  

Caroni.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't bought anything in a long time but it's recently come to my attention that the LCBO now offers online shopping within Ontario. They'll ship orders over $50 to your local store free of charge or ship orders of any size to your mailbox for $12. I'm going to try to continue to avoid temptation.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Was bobbing about down island last week on the good ship M/S Sagitta and managed to make it to St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica and Iles des Saintes (a small group of islands that make up part of Guadeloupe). Despite my best efforts I could not convince the Captain to go to Marie Gallant, another of the islands that make up Guadeloupe, which was only a tantalizing 15 or so miles away. Oh well.

Picked up the odd rum/rhum or seven while I was there. The English Harbor was a gift from one of my tour guides and fellow rum enthusiasts. The rest came from the islands including a visit to Habitation Clement on Martinique. Well worth a tour if you ever find yourself on the island! For the 12 euro tour fee (8.7 euros for a group of ten) one could probably drink themselves silly in the gift shop where numerous Clement rhums (although not the high end stuff of course) were available to sample. I only wish I had more time to spend on Guadeloupe, to include Marie Gallant, and their 9 total distilleries, and Martinique which has about 7 distilleries. I am going to have to make a trip just to explore both these islands in more detail! 

I did find Bologne and Montebello rhum from Guadeloupe along with a white rhum/rocket fuel at 59% ABV from Bellevue on Marie Gallant. Also a couple of older expressions from Clement that I don't see in the US. And finally the 1931 is from St. Lucia.

rum rhum from windjammer trip 1.JPGrum rhum from windjammer trip 2 Montebello bellevue bologne.JPGrum rhum from windjammer trip 3 Clement.JPG

rum rhum from windjammer trip 5 Clement 15yo front.JPGrum rhum from windjammer trip 5 Clement 15yo back.JPGrum rhum from windjammer trip 4 Clement 1976 front.JPGrum rhum from windjammer trip 4 Clement 1976 back.JPG

I also discovered that oddly the lone distillery in St. Lucia doesn't do a tour on Saturday and I am embarrassed to admit that I did not know Dominica has not one but two distilleries, the rum from which is not easily found outside of the island itself. Belfast makes Red Cap from imported molasses and sells white rum by the cask to local shops and bars where they make their own recipes of spiced "bush" rum. Meanwhile the Shillingford Estate makes a rhum agricole reportedly grown entirely on Dominica itself known as Macoucherie. That one sounded interesting to me. Oh well, maybe next time!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)
  • Like 4

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

20 hours ago, Craig E said:

Excited to try them all, but just started a two-week clean-eating challenge that forbids alcohol. :angry:

This just seems wrong to me! If you don't have enough alcohol in your diet to kill the bacteria in your food how can you be sure it is "clean"???

:S

• Like 2

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Recent buys, all new to me except for the Ramazzotti, which is for the Amer Boudreau I'm cooking up.

Which is a deeper rabbit hole, rums or amari? O.o

IMG_2314.png

My alcohol-free cleanse ends tomorrow; pondering the best break-fast.

Edited by Craig E (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Craig E said:

Which is a deeper rabbit hole, rums or amari? O.o

Yes.

The Rabarbaro Sfumato is absolutely delicious on its own, but I haven't found many applications where I prefer it to Zucca, which it was brought to the US market to replace. Mezcal is an obvious dance partner; here's a drink that the head bartender at Boston's Hojoko (my bar's sister bar) had me make him with Zucca but which I also like with the Sfumato:

1 oz Mezcal

1 oz Cappelletti Aperitivo (or Zucca)

1 oz Cappelletti Rabarbaro Sfumato

Stir, strain, rock, orange twist (though I like a lemon twist too). 

Have fun with the Nonino. It's a classic for a reason.

Edited by Rafa (log)
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

3 hours ago, Rafa said:

Yes.

The Rabarbaro Sfumato is absolutely delicious on its own, but I haven't found many applications where I prefer it to Zucca, which it was brought to the US market to replace. Mezcal is an obvious dance partner; here's a drink that the head bartender at Boston's Hojoko (my bar's sister bar) had me make him with Zucca but which I also like with the Sfumato:

1 oz Mezcal

1 oz Cappelletti Aperitivo (or Zucca)

1 oz Cappelletti Rabarbaro Sfumato

Stir, strain, rock, orange twist (though I like a lemon twist too). 

Have fun with the Nonino. It's a classic for a reason.

Is the "(or Zucca)" supposed to be appended to the third line then?

Woops, yes. 

Make yourself a Paper Plane, if you haven't had one yet. 

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Multiples of Booker's Round Table selections and lots of this, Foursquare 2004 Exceptional Cask rum

image.jpeg

I got a chance to try this Foursquare 2004 as well as the port finish and the Zinfandel finish this week at a distributor's spirits show. I liked the port but liked the Zin even better. But the best for me was the 2004 cask strength blended rum. Now I just have to get some of my own!

~tanstaafl2

Interesting.  I have Hamilton 151 and some old Lemon Hart left.  I read today with much delight that Lemon Hart is back in the US market.  It would will be fun to compare the three 151's!

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I got a chance to try this Foursquare 2004 as well as the port finish and the Zinfandel finish this week at a distributor's spirits show. I liked the port but liked the Zin even better. But the best for me was the 2004 cask strength blended rum. Now I just have to get some of my own!

I'm already one step ahead of you ;)

FRSQR04.JPG

Cocktails at the home bar of one of my mixology gurus, so I brought over samples of my homemade Amer Boudreau, pineapple syrup, and tonic syrup. 

Came home with bottles of Vecchio Amaro del Capo and CioCiaro, both new to me.

syrups.png

• Like 1