• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Quadriga

I have the 2012 Rhum Rhum bortled @ 45%. Can't say I'm a fan. It is well made but not to my taste. Lots of flavors reminiscent of green tea. The Lonecaner had a recent review of the 2015 and had high praise for the cask strength

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moto said:

I have the 2012 Rhum Rhum bortled @ 45%. Can't say I'm a fan. It is well made but not to my taste. Lots of flavors reminiscent of green tea. The Lonecaner had a recent review of the 2015 and had high praise for the cask strength

Rhum Agricole typically is a bit funky and it sounds like this will be no different from the few reviews I have seen. I was leaning towards the cask strength and maybe the blanc just for the sake of variety.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

On 4/15/2016 at 2:51 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

That is one of the options but it is the 2015 version. There is also a blanc version and apparently a cask strength version. I don't know which to choose! Might have to just get them all...

Rather spendy though. Apparently the price has sky rocketed in 5 or so years!

Don't you just love how they spelled Sauternes! At least I presume that is what they were going for. Auto correct at it is finest perhaps?

Astor has rum on sale today @ 15% off.  May be a good time to grab the Rhum Rhum

6 hours ago, Moto said:

Astor has rum on sale today @ 15% off.  May be a good time to grab the Rhum Rhum

Just what I did! One of them was sold out by the time I could get a break and get online but I did get a few rums at the sale.

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just what I did! One of them was sold out by the time I could get a break and get online but I did get a few rums at the sale.

I received the 15% off Astor Wines rum email too.  But when I went to drinkupny to compare prices there popped up a 10% discount code for everything on site.  This resulted in a mind numbing amount of math, taking into account drinkupny offers me free shipping whereas Astor Wines does not.  Drinkupny came out ahead on price, however Astor stocks a couple of my must have favorite beverages that drinkupny does not.

I am now broke, but sufficiently well splificated for another month.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Been a while since I've posted in this thread, has anyone else picked up Star of Bombay gin? I think it has a bitter note from the bergamot, was nice in a G&T, but not to my taste in a Martini. It seems to me that a lot of new style gins tend to the sweeter side, and this is quite different than those.

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:20 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Some new toys to play with. I have been picking up the annual Caol Ila unpeated bottle from the Diageo "special release" each year but for some reason it never showed up in Atlanta this year. So a friend did me a solid and sent me one! This year (the 2015 release) is a 17yo cask strength bottle weighing in at 111.8 proof and aged in used bourbon. Each year is a bit different in some way and typically a bit older. 2012 was 14yo aged in European oak, probably sherry. 2013 was the Stitchell Reserve blend of unpeated Caol Ila and 2014 was a 15yo unpeated from used bourbon. It is interesting to taste the underlying Caol Ila distillate without the peat (there is typically a little peat but not much in these bottles).

Caol ila 17 Bowmore 23.JPG

If you are in the Atlanta area, mac's on eighth street in midtown just got a shipment of the 2014 caol ila 15 unpeated. As of last Friday they had four bottles if you are still interested. As for the bowmore, do you like the later years? I tend to find they drink more like a spey side than an islay especially if they are older. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:54 PM, Progress bar said:

If you are in the Atlanta area, mac's on eighth street in midtown just got a shipment of the 2014 caol ila 15 unpeated. As of last Friday they had four bottles if you are still interested. As for the bowmore, do you like the later years? I tend to find they drink more like a spey side than an islay especially if they are older. 

I have some of the  2014 15yo Caol Ila unpeated already but thanks. It is a particular nice one though! I still haven't done a side by side with the 2015 17yo unpeated yet nor have I even seen the 17yo in town. Had to get mine from other sources. And where did all the 16yo go??? 9_9

As for Bowmore these were a bit unusual because of the full maturation in port pipes. Compared side by side I found that the 23yo lost some of the unique balance of peat and sweetness that has made the 199116yo Port matured Bowmore such a favorite of mine. Which is not to say the 23 is not good. Just not "as" good! :D

I find that age slowly softens the peat in many whisky's although it can certainly vary by distillery. For example I love older Caol Ila where the peat seems to take on an almost sweet character with time. Not sure I would call it a typical speyside though! The same with Bowmore.

~tanstaafl2

More fun with sugar cane!

Rhum agricole from Astor 1.JPGRhum agricole from Astor 2.JPG

Top row are the cask strength aged Capovilla "Liberation" rhum agricole (116.8 pf) and Capovilla rhum agricole blanc bottled at 112 pf both from Marie Gallant in Guadeloupe. In between is a Plantation 1998 Guadeloupe finished in cognac and Tokay casks (basically a restock of that one. Appears it was a store pick of sorts).

The bottom row has a couple of Duncan Taylors that were aged and bottled in Scotland at cask strength and noted as being without added color or other additives. One is a 1998 16yo (110.4 pf) from the Uitvlught plantation in Guyana before all the rum production was nationalized and centralized in 2000 and the other is a 1998 14yo (104.6 pf) from the Bellevue distillery in Marie Gallant, Guadeloupe. Interestingly the Bellevue distillery is made on a column still rather than a pot still. The tasting notes for it claim dry spices, mustard, earthy smoke, campfire, pure sugar, maple, and dried bananas. Hmm. Pretty interesting for a rum with presumably no color or additives.

In the middle in the frosted bottle is a 1 litre Neisson Rhum Agricole Blanc at a modest 140 pf. Couldn't resist as I figured this might be the closest thing I could get to "white dog" right off the still!

Traveling a bit for the next couple of weeks so not sure when I will be able to get to them but soon I hope!

• Like 3

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

The prices of Japanese whisky have skyrocketed now that demand is high and stock are getting depleted. I am apparently sitting on a little fortune at home, I had not idea... Wow. I could no longer afford anything at these prices!

These pictures was taken at Hi-Time Wine Cellars.

Hi-Time Wine Cellars

Hi-Time Wine Cellars

• Like 1

Here is what I ended up buying. The first three bottles on the left are restocks. I was going to get Elijah Craig for the bourbon instead of the High West Prairie, but I remembered about the whole Elijah Craig age statement debacle, and the Prairie was only $30.

Hi-Time liquor shopping

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)
  • Like 4

I checked online and was surprised to see that the St George pear brandy was selling for less than $40 for a full-size bottle. A really good price for this!

It's an eau-de-vie from what I understand.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

I'd only had it before in a icy Rusty Nail with god-knows-what Scotch at an airport bar that left me unimpressed, so I didn't think of Drambuie as something I really wanted nor needed, but I bit on a gift-box clearance (750ml + 2 rocks glasses for <$20!) today. And really enjoyed my first sip. 

Restocked some rye while I was there.

Once I actually made it to the store to place the special order my purveyor had the bottles in my hands within twenty and a half hours.  Hard to complain about the service.  Sadly there are so many other interesting brands they can't or don't know how to get.

There is something I do not care for about the flavor of Creole shrub, something I cannot put my finger on.  Some flavor that's familiar.  It's driving me wild.

In the interest of science I poured a goodly glass of my recently acquired bottle of Clement Creole Shrub.  (Neat).  It is perfectly lovely...except possibly for the color.  I don't understand what went wrong with my recent mai tai.  Perhaps a bad lime?  But the Creole Shrub by itself is neither astringent nor foul tasting.

However I doubt it will replace Cointreau in the white mai tai.

On 5/20/2016 at 0:51 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

I checked online and was surprised to see that the St George pear brandy was selling for less than $40 for a full-size bottle. A really good price for this!

It's an eau-de-vie from what I understand.

It certainly tastes like an eau-de-vie.  Very strong, perfectly dry, very potent perfume of pear.  I'm astonished at how reasonably priced it was!

• 3 weeks later...