• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Paul Fink said:

Thanks @tanstaafl2.

I'm sitting here with Bison Ridge. Please don't tell me its crap.

I'm enjoying it.;)

Ok, I won't tell you... :D

I believe one should drink what they like so if you like it then that is all that matters. That goes for Templeton as well! If you like it then you should drink it. I just find it important to me to know a little about how it is made and what is really in it. And if I don't like the way the company represents itself then it is almost inevitably going to effect the way I think about the product, even if it is "good". Michter's and WhistlePig are two that have impacted me that way. Some of the things they sell are pretty good but I just don't like how they sell it (with a made up story using whiskey they, for the most part at least in the recent past, got from somewhere else). Getting whiskey from somewhere else isn't inherently bad. But it is for me at least of some importance the way you market it and especially if you try to pass it off as something it is not.

To get back on track I recently picked up the most recent batch of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof  in its newly designed bottle at 127 pf.

58effc3c47225_Wednesdaytasting12APR172.jpg.9128fcbee29b3906c28c6cbf496deb09.jpg

We then did a side by side of this new bottle against the very first batch (at 134.2 pf) that I dug out of a dusty corner of my basement. No comparison as the original batch is a superior whiskey to me. The picture makes the older batch look much darker and it is darker but the contrast isn't quite as dramatic as it appears in the picture.

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Paul Fink said:

Thanks @tanstaafl2.

I'm sitting here with Bison Ridge. Please don't tell me its crap.

I'm enjoying it.;)

Ok, I won't tell you... :D

I believe one should drink what they like so if you like it then that is all that matters. That goes for Templeton as well! If you like it then you should drink it. I just find it important to me to know a little about how it is made and what is really in it. And if I don't like the way the company represents itself then it is almost inevitably effect the way I think about the product, even if it is "good". Michter's and WhistlePig are two that have impacted me that way. Some of the things they sell are pretty good but I just don't like how they sell it (with a made up story using whiskey they, for the most part at least in the recent past, got from somewhere else). Getting whiskey from somewhere else isn't inherently bad, it is for me at least the way you market it and especially if you try to pass it off as something it is not.

To get back on track I recently picked up themost recent batch of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof  in its newly designed bottle at 127 pf.

58effc3c47225_Wednesdaytasting12APR172.jpg.9128fcbee29b3906c28c6cbf496deb09.jpg

We then did a side by side of this new bottle against the very first batch (at 134.2 pf) that I dug out of a dusty corner of my basement. No comparison as the original batch is a superior whiskey to me. The picture makes the older batch look much darker and it is darker but the contrast isn't quite as dramatic as it appears in the picture.