• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

18 minutes ago, Craig E said:

I've been wondering for a while now: As I understand it, Hamilton imports high proof rum from Guyana and dilutes it to bottle the 86. Am I getting essentially the same rum by adding water to my 151 (online ABV calculators tell me to use 1:1)? I've tried it in recipes that call for a regular-proof demerara rum, and it seems to work, though I'm not a pro taster and I haven't had the bottled lower-proof stuff to compare. But this home dilution scheme greatly appeals to the cheapskate in me.

I would presume it is similar as long as you are using a good quality water. Might want to let it "marry" together for a bit I suppose.

By my calculation you would add 7.56 ounces of water for every 10 ounces of the 151 to get it to 86 proof. Were I to do that I probably wouldn't go below 100 proof though!.

Volume of product x ((current proof/desired proof)-1) = Amount of water to add

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

2 minutes ago, Craig E said:

I've been wondering for a while now: As I understand it, Hamilton imports high proof rum from Guyana and dilutes it to bottle the 86. Am I getting essentially the same rum by adding water to my 151 (online ABV calculators tell me to use 1:1)? I've tried it in recipes that call for a regular-proof demerara rum, and it seems to work, though I'm not a pro taster and I haven't had the bottled lower-proof stuff to compare. But this home dilution scheme greatly appeals to the cheapskate in me.

I would presume it is similar as long as you are using a good quality water. Might want to let it "marry" together for a bit I suppose.

By my calculation you would 7.56 ounces of water for every 10 ounces of the 151 to get it to 86 proof. Were I to do that I probably wouldn't go below 100 proof though!.

Volume of product x ((current proof/desired proof)-1) = Amount of water to add