• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

18 minutes ago, Craig E said:

I've been wondering for a while now: As I understand it, Hamilton imports high proof rum from Guyana and dilutes it to bottle the 86. Am I getting essentially the same rum by adding water to my 151 (online ABV calculators tell me to use 1:1)? I've tried it in recipes that call for a regular-proof demerara rum, and it seems to work, though I'm not a pro taster and I haven't had the bottled lower-proof stuff to compare. But this home dilution scheme greatly appeals to the cheapskate in me.

I would presume it is similar as long as you are using a good quality water. Might want to let it "marry" together for a bit I suppose.

By my calculation you would add 7.56 ounces of water for every 10 ounces of the 151 to get it to 86 proof. Were I to do that I probably wouldn't go below 100 proof though!.

Volume of product x ((current proof/desired proof)-1) = Amount of water to add

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

2 minutes ago, Craig E said:

I've been wondering for a while now: As I understand it, Hamilton imports high proof rum from Guyana and dilutes it to bottle the 86. Am I getting essentially the same rum by adding water to my 151 (online ABV calculators tell me to use 1:1)? I've tried it in recipes that call for a regular-proof demerara rum, and it seems to work, though I'm not a pro taster and I haven't had the bottled lower-proof stuff to compare. But this home dilution scheme greatly appeals to the cheapskate in me.

I would presume it is similar as long as you are using a good quality water. Might want to let it "marry" together for a bit I suppose.

By my calculation you would 7.56 ounces of water for every 10 ounces of the 151 to get it to 86 proof. Were I to do that I probably wouldn't go below 100 proof though!.

Volume of product x ((current proof/desired proof)-1) = Amount of water to add