• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quadriga

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 part 1)

179 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If I knew the proportions of the Dandelion Soda I would definitely give it a shot. My bottle of Novasalus hasn't had much to do as of late.

Here's what they wrote down for me that night, which I realize is a little different than what some articles online are saying (for instance, no cacao).

.75 Cynar

.75 Novasalus

.5 lemon

.5 simple

.5 Jamaican rum (they used Hamilton Jamaican, he said S&C could work but not to use something like Coruba)

Short shake, strain into Collins glass with ice, top with soda water. Bracingly bitter in a surprisingly pleasant way.

1 person likes this

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, sbumgarner said:

Here's what they wrote down for me that night, which I realize is a little different than what some articles online are saying (for instance, no cacao).

.75 Cynar

.75 Novasalus

.5 lemon

.5 simple

.5 Jamaican rum (they used Hamilton Jamaican, he said S&C could work but not to use something like Coruba)

Short shake, strain into Collins glass with ice, top with soda water. Bracingly bitter in a surprisingly pleasant way.

Excellent! I will check it out. I guess with Novasalus the use of Dandelion & Burdock bitters is a bit redundant? Don't know why I thought that might be in there! Interesting that they did not include cacao which gets mention in a lot of posts about it as you note.

For me the latest delivery was the new Barrell brand of Jamaican pot still rum at around 135 proof (just a wee bit of a kick!) and several bottles of Vin Juane wine from Jura just to satisfy a gustatory itch, having never tried it, and to help complete my Jura trilogy (Jura marc, Macvin du Jura and now the Vin Juane). Couldn't wait and dived into a bottle already. Very fino/manzanilla like as expected but I think I like it better than manzanilla. Doesn't seem to last long once opened though.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0