• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

Quadriga

On August 27, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Quadriga said:

I'm already one step ahead of you ;)

FRSQR04.JPG

Looks like my first 3 from Masters of Malt.  The bottle shape is different compared to the ones distributed in the US which is the same bottle used for Doorly's.   

I love this rum.  Can nose it all night but I'd rather drink it 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:39 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Interesting.  I have Hamilton 151 and some old Lemon Hart left.  I read today with much delight that Lemon Hart is back in the US market.  It would will be fun to compare the three 151's!

Been there, done that! Don't remember most of it... O.o

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

According to this guy, Hamilton 151 is superior to the red label and new version Lemon Hart 151 that you just bought, at least in a Zombie. But they haven't included the yellow label Lemon Hart in the comparison...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

I've never tasted either of the older labels of Lemon Hart: my interest in cocktails got serious only after the imports stopped. I bought a bottle of the Hamilton 151 a while ago and have almost worked my way through it, liking it a lot.

When I got home I poured a shot of each (Hamilton and the new LH) to do a quick and dirty taste test, but it quickly became apparent that these are just too hot to drink neat with any discernment. I would say that the Lemon Hart burned with alcohol less—was a little smoother—thought that may just have been because I sipped it second. But maybe that tameness is connected to the disappointment your Instagram guy felt in the cocktail context.

I'll do more testing.

Edited by Craig E
clarifying (log)

@Craig ESimply dilute each to a reasonable sipping proof (say 60-80?). 50/50 would end up at 75 proof, which would be easy to measure.

Also, for spirits that are destined for a cocktail (as I suspect this is), maybe you need to very carefully make two cocktails that highlight the product. I tend to prefer bolder / rougher spirits in cocktails than I do neat.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Uncle Val's is fun. Very cucumbery—more so than Hendrick's, I'd say.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

On September 3, 2016 at 7:30 AM, EvergreenDan said:

@Craig ESimply dilute each to a reasonable sipping proof (say 60-80?). 50/50 would end up at 75 proof, which would be easy to measure.

Also, for spirits that are destined for a cocktail (as I suspect this is), maybe you need to very carefully make two cocktails that highlight the product. I tend to prefer bolder / rougher spirits in cocktails than I do neat.

Okay, I sat down with two shot glasses of the rums diluted 1:1. 

I'm not an experienced taster so take this with a grain of salt. 

At dilution, to my nose Hamilton 151 had an aroma of cognac and alcohol; new Lemon Hart was more subdued.

The taste differed; I got brown sugar Pop Tart and overripe fruit. In the LH I think I got red apples.

On the finish, Hamilton seemed "hot" in the temperature sense, a deep and long lasting warmth. LH seemed more "hot" in the spicy sense, black pepper. 

I think diluted Hamilton had more character, and for that reason that rum might well be superior in many cocktails. But both feel well crafted, not raw at all, and if the goal is to boost the octane of a cocktail while keeping it accessible, the smoothness of Lemon Hart might serve well. 

I'm curious how both match with the older bottlings of LH but I don't have access to those.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Craig E said:

Okay, I sat down with two shot glasses of the rums diluted 1:1. 

I'm not an experienced taster so take this with a grain of salt. 

At dilution, to my nose Hamilton 151 had an aroma of cognac and alcohol; new Lemon Hart was more subdued.

The taste differed; I got brown sugar Pop Tart and overripe fruit. In the LH I think I got red apples.

On the finish, Hamilton seemed "hot" in the temperature sense, a deep and long lasting warmth. LH seemed more "hot" in the spicy sense, black pepper. 

I think diluted Hamilton had more character, and for that reason that rum might well be superior in many cocktails. But both feel well crafted, not raw at all, and if the goal is to boost the octane of a cocktail while keeping it accessible, the smoothness of Lemon Hart might serve well. 

I'm curious how both match with the older bottlings of LH but I don't have access to those.

I still have some older yellow label LH as well as the red label and Hamilton. Now I just have to find the new one!

Haven't seen it in Atlanta yet but we aren't exactly on the front lines of new spirits debuts even though it seems to be all around us (Florida, Tennessee). All the talk on Tiki Central suggests each is a bit different in its own way (not really a big surprise). Since I still have a little of the earlier yellow label left it will be interesting to see how it stands up to the other three if and when I do find the new version.

Going to San Francisco in a couple of weeks so I will have to see what I can find out about the different versions at Smuggler's Cove if I can find time to stop in. Although odds are good that I will find the time... :B

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't remember what I bought that day, but sometimes I just like watching! :)

This is Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, and it's only a small part of the selection.

Whiskey

Holiday Wine Cellar

More whiskey

Holiday Wine Cellar

And more whiskey

Holiday Wine Cellar

Rum. They didn't have the Hamilton I was looking for.

Holiday Wine Cellar

More rum & rhum

Holiday Wine Cellar

Gin

Holiday Wine Cellar

Edited by FrogPrincesse
added link (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back down to the Islands before Thanksgiving so it was a bit of deja vu all over again for me. Except for this time I managed to get to Marie Galante and tour Poisson and Bielle distilleries. Alas, Bellevue was just a bit too far especially since they all generally closed up shop at 1300 in the offseason.

But I did pick up several rhums of interest! And I wish I had room in my luggage to bring back a few more. But I was limited to about 9 because glass is heavy!

Rhum Agricolle Marie Galante.JPG

Rhum agricole pere labat.JPG

The Pere Labat 1997 from Poisson is allegedly an 18yo-ish rhum bottled last year but oddly is lighter in color than the 8yo next to it. But a very nice flavor as I got to taste pretty much everything at the distillery before buying. It was kind of like having an open bar!

Rhum agricole bielle.JPG

Bielle was similar with an opportunity to taste everything beforehand and had several cask strength offerings that I wish I could have brought. There was a very nice 2002 vintage but it was rather spendy. Instead I picked up another cask strength Rhum Rhum 2015 which was about half the cost of buying it at Astor (I just couldn't resist!), the Bielle 40th Anniversary is barrel proof 7yo-ish agricole made to celebrate some anniversary or another and the Canne Grise which was a particularly unusual blanc rhum made from the gray species of sugar cane, rather like the Canne Beu that Clement makes.

1931 10 cane depaz clement bleu 2009.JPG1931 rum close up.JPG

And speaking of Clement Canne Bleu I managed to stumble upon a 2009 vintage in St. Lucia along with a 2014 vintage of 1931 from St. Lucia distillery (I picked up the 2013 vintage last trip), a 10 Cane from Trinidad which has since been discontinued that was an impulse buy (that I kind of regret now as it took up potential space for another bottle). We also had the chance to tour Depaz in Martinique where I picked up the 2002 vintage agricole that was bottled in 2013 so is about 11yo.

Ah, so much rhum, so little luggage space....

But unfortunately due to a minor medical issue I am on the wagon at the moment. Talk about frustrating! But I hope to fall off and get back in the gutter soon...

• Like 3

~tanstaafl2

• 3 weeks later...