• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When Hobbits Go to Vegas

Just a small sample of pix....

IMG_8205.JPG

IMG_8218.JPG

IMG_8244.JPG

IMG_8253.JPG

IMG_8257.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8273.JPG

IMG_8275.JPG

IMG_8292.JPG

Marinated artichokes.

IMG_8293.JPG

Caponata.

IMG_8296.JPG

Grilled shrimp, fennel and celery salad.

IMG_8298.JPG

Fregola with mussels, clams and fish.

IMG_8302.JPG

Crepe stuffed with banana and hazelnut.

IMG_8304.JPG

Hazelnut gelato.

IMG_8358.JPG

Kitchen equipment from sometime during the 1930s.

IMG_8363.JPG

IMG_8377.JPG

IMG_8385.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

Lobster eggs benedict, potato cake

IMG_8464.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

IMG_8481.JPG

Huevos rancheros, crema, avocado and black corn tortilla.

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

Foie gras, bourbon bread pudding, orange cherry salad

IMG_8493.JPG

Porterhouse steak with onions and carrots

IMG_8496.JPG

Brown butter cake, blueberry compote, Meyer lemon curd, corn ice cream

IMG_8501.JPG

Pork khao soi at Lotus of Siam

IMG_8239.JPG

IMG_8398.JPG

• Like 15

Stash....wonderful pictures. I want that steak......

love to hear your thoughts on some place I will probably never visit....

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thanks.  Haven't been there but been to Wing Lei many times.  For the most part I've always had great food and service at the Wynn/Encore.  Great report.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Stash....wonderful pictures. I want that steak......

love to hear your thoughts on some place I will probably never visit....

Most of the restos were great.  Special mention to Mercato della Pescheria in the Venetian -- excellent food, horrendous service so it kinda balances out.  They opened two weeks ago so that's their excuse.

I had the same thing happen years back when Daniel Boulud's place at Wynn closed and they re-branded it as SW Steakhouse.  I was with a local food writer and we both knew the Chef.  Service was horrific and when he came out to chat, my friend showed him the raw lamb chops.  Talk about an embarrassing moment.  At this level, that shouldn't ever happen, whether they just opened or not.  I've got to get back down there soon.  So many newer places to try.

So, I want to show some of the brunch pix at the Encore.

Take a look at the menu below.  Enticing, no?

IMG_8207.JPG

IMG_8208.JPG

One surprise was that I noticed way too many people lining up for standard American food like scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage and waffles.

Why bother leaving home then?  I'll never understand why people in this country gravitate to the familiar when they travel.  It's kind of sad, frankly.

IMG_8212.JPG

Left to right:  pierogies in cream sauce; vegetable tamales; Spanish rice; minestrone.

IMG_8214.JPG

Left to right:  roast turkey; roast pork; roast ham (?)

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217-001.JPG

Left to right:  nori pork rinds; marinated olives with herbs and poached garlic; edamame seasoned with sea salt and sesame oil.

IMG_8209.JPG

Left to right:  cheesecake bites; yuzu lime bar; creme brulee; Thai iced tea custard cups; carrot cake; lime cones; coffee custard cake; strawberry cake; miniature cupcakes.

IMG_8220.JPG

I don't remember what these were, only that they're sugar-free.

IMG_8226.JPG

Left to right:  vegan chocolate chip cookies; snickerdoodle cookies; magic bar (round and square); warm chocolate cake; strawberry rhubarb crisp.

IMG_8218.JPG

Pretzels, candied apples, cake pops.

This was the only buffet we ate during our trip.  It's supposedly one of the better buffets in Las Vegas for that price point.  

• Like 7

What is the name of the place with montaditos/grilled cheese sandwiches, and the lobster eggs benedict, please?

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

• 3 weeks later...

Those are amazing pictures! You have an eye for that. I'm going to Vegas with my sister in November. She hasn't been there since 2001 so I thought I'd take her to dinner at Wynn. Thinking SW and sitting on the patio. So many choices! Going for five nights and still have to narrow things. Has anyone tried Sinatra? I've seen yelper reviews but that's about it. 

• 1 month later...

Just had some great food at Wazuzu and La Cave at Wynn/Encore and even better food at Jaleo in the Cosmopolitan.  Jaleo was just outstanding tapas and paella. Place looks like a shopping mall restaurant until you get inside. Sit in back near the paella pit (grill? whatever). Great service... inventive stuff and classic tapas.

I had a big group meal at Sinatra, which is never the same as ordering from the menu, but it was well executed. I'd eat there again if I could order for myself.

Edited by gfweb (log)