• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fanfare: Announcing a New Foodblog!

Smithy

Woot woot!  An intrepid member has offered to take us on a 10-day trip, beginning Aug. 25. This foodblog will be slightly out of the ordinary: not only is it slightly longer than usual, but it will showcase the food and scenery of a beloved area that is not the member's home turf...

...in other words, the teaser photos will be clues to the location, but not necessarily to the member.

Hehehe. Y'all will be doing double guessing. :ph34r: I took a lesson from the last time around, too: to the best of our knowledge, none of the teaser photos has been posted before. 

Here's a photo from an earlier visit:

57b3a2b900331_2015-08-1814.51.54.thumb.jpg.9ef3a514445912d821666f41e5b69005.jpg

Let the guessing begin!

• Like 14

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Bring it on!  Can't wait. Blogs are da best. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Y'all have to tell me whether you want me to (a) tell you when someone's getting warm or (b) keep my fingers away from the keyboard.  If someone nails the location or poster, I'll confirm it, but that leaves the question of 'warm but not there' open.

Either way, more photos will be doled out as the time gets closer.

• Like 5

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nope.

...and, to @Thanks for the Crepes's question: not @sartoric, either.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

Woot woot!  An intrepid member has offered to take us on a 10-day trip, beginning Aug. 25. This foodblog will be slightly out of the ordinary: not only is it slightly longer than usual, but it will showcase the food and scenery of a beloved area that is not the member's home turf...

...in other words, the teaser photos will be clues to the location, but not necessarily to the member.

Hehehe. Y'all will be doing double guessing. :ph34r: I took a lesson from the last time around, too: to the best of our knowledge, none of the teaser photos has been posted before. 

Here's a photo from an earlier visit:

57b3a2b900331_2015-08-1814.51.54.thumb.jpg.9ef3a514445912d821666f41e5b69005.jpg

Let the guessing begin!

Ginseng?

dcarch

• Like 1

Another stab in the dark

@BonVivant?

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Not @BonVivant.  In all fairness I should note that @chefmd correctly identified the plant but not the venue.

I'll post another teaser in an hour or so.

• Like 1

I spent a while looking at all the cloudberry images Mr. Google offered up. They all seem to be composed of separate bits like raspberries and blackberries. There is a name for the way they are constructed with a composite of many small fruits with individual seeds, which eluded me until I looked it up. It is aggregrate fruit composed of small druplets.

Even when I pop the teaser image out, it looks like the individual berries are a solid globe? The leaf configuration and the way the berries are born in a central cluster seems to fit, though.

So okay, since the only cooking I have heard of with cloudberries  is in Sweden, Norway or Finland, and they all seem to have basalt formations, my guess is from the Nordic Countries? 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Scandinavia? Newfoundland?

edited to add: (cloudberry = bakeapple in Nfld) 

Dingdingding!  One of these is right. Good job on the alternate name for cloudberries, FauxPas.

Nobody has guessed the blogger yet.

Now, I have an apology to make: due to social obligations I may not be able to check in often for the next 24 hours or so. If I don't respond to a guess, it won't be because I'm being coy. I didn't think the schedule through carefully enough before I began this fanfare.  Sorry!  I'll check in when I can.

Here's the next teaser.

57b3a470d1a60_2015-08-1916.14.08.thumb.jpg.053bea3f1aef3aa865fbe7cd327c20d9.jpg

• Like 3

I've eaten cloudberries in Norway and bakeapple in Newfoundland. I'm rather hoping for Newfoundland though I'd be delighted with either one. My grandparents came to the US and then Canada from Sweden and Norway. But "The Rock" is very dear to my heart, also.  :)

• Like 3

I would Love to see a Newfie blog!  My folks just got back from PEI and raved, I have been to Nova Scotia myself, and NFLD is supposedly just as gorgeous!  And the people are a hoot....it's hard not to be after a few shots of SCREECH!

• Like 3

I haven't been to either PEI or Nova Scotia yet, but a couple of years ago we were in Nfld. And yes, it was absolutely gorgeous! We only had two weeks so we stayed in the eastern third of the island, but I don't remember seeing any fish drying on screens like that. (Then again, there hasn't been commercial cod fishing in Nfld for quite a while now, while we all wait for the stocks to recover.) We did, however, do a few hikes on areas with lots of wild blueberries underfoot, which made me quite happy.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I have a feeling there's some lutefisk in our future.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer