• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fanfare: Announcing a New Foodblog!

Smithy

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

There are different rules for fishing salmon versus cod.  One can fish for cod for 46 days this year, up from 32 last year.  The limit is 5 cod per day.  There is also a boat limit where three or more people cannot in total catch more than 15.  I don't know what the rules are for freshwater fish.  

I'm curious how it is that I am quoted as quoting the question about fishing...

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 2.51.30 PM.png

19 minutes ago, huiray said:

I'm curious how it is that I am quoted as quoting the question about fishing...

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 2.51.30 PM.png

Aaargh!  I am having trouble with some of my quotes.   I usually back space to get rid of what I don't want showing and I missed this one.  If you look down one line, it was rotuts who asked the question.   Sorry,  I'll double check in future. 

10 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Jiggs dinner with pease pudding and blueberry duff and roast chicken with Newfie dressing... a ridiculously large meal but it's pretty tasty (although the dressing I've experienced contained too much Savoury for my taste). The older daughter's husband's parents are from Newfoundland, that's where I got my introduction to some of the cuisine. Looking forward to seeing what you get into there.

We were there last year (husband's first time) and the Legion in one of the places we were staying in was serving up a Jigg's dinner.  However, they were serving it at 4:30 in the afternoon so we gave it a miss thinking we would have another chance.  And sure enough, it was on the menu in another spot.  And they had had a power outage that day and had not been able to prepare the meat that was required.  And those were the only two times in two weeks we saw Jigg's dinner mentioned.   It is on the list to eat if we find a place serving it.

I also wanted to bring some savoury back but I never did.  It too, is on the list.

• Like 3

Will you have cooking facilities or will you be taking us out to eat?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Will you have cooking facilities or will you be taking us out to eat?

We will have cooking facilities on 3 of the nights we are there, the rest of the time we are in hotels and one night in a B & B.  I'm not sure if any staples are supplied at any of these places and I don't want to be buying a bunch of stuff to cook with only to leave it behind.  I'm glad you asked the question because I will get in touch with the two places that have kitchens and find out what I might expect to find in the cupboards. 

If they have any staples I will seriously consider cooking something.  One place we are staying in for two nights is a cottage with a bbq and since we can no longer bbq ourselves, that may be tempting.  If I do cook, it will likely be pretty basic stuff.  The rest of the time I will be taking you out to eat lunch and dinner.  We aren't much on breakfast.

Edited by ElsieD
fixed some auto corrections (log)
  • Like 11

As promised, here's another of the teaser images:

57b3a2e2899a1_2015-08-1612.34.56.thumb.jpg.71a2228fa6cb4b7382d367421a9853b8.jpg

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

48 minutes ago, TicTac said:
49 minutes ago, TicTac said:

You don't need much besides a fire pit and a pot.  The rest mother nature will provide) - the best scallops, clams, lobsters, crabs and mussels you can imagine!

This is true.  But NL (to use the short form for it's proper name, Newfoundland and Labrador) is a sparsely populated area outside the capital and a couple of bigger towns here and there.  For example, one place we are staying in has a population of 439.  The places with the kitchens are bigger, something like 4,000 in one and 2,500 in the other.  So, I may be able to get the goods to cook with, but maybe not.  Those of us of a certain age will remember The Rolling Stones singing, "you can't always get what you want".

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

This is true.  But NL (to use the short form for it's proper name, Newfoundland and Labrador) is a sparsely populated area outside the capital and a couple of bigger towns here and there.  For example, one place we are staying in has a population of 439.  The places with the kitchens are bigger, something like 4,000 in one and 2,500 in the other.  So, I may be able to get the goods to cook with, but maybe not.  Those of us of a certain age will remember The Rolling Stones singing, "you can't always get what you want".

The rest of that lyric though, goes, "...You get what you need!"

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I wrote to the place where we are staying for 2 nights to ask what I might possibly find in the cupboards.  The answer was sugar, salt and pepper.  The places I have stayed in where the pepper was provided, the pepper was in one of those shakers and no longer resembled pepper.  I have decided to pack a pepper grinder and some sea salt.  I may even pack some chipotle powder.  

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 9

One more day to go, or more likely one-and-a-half, so I'll throw in two pictures.  

A roadside garden

20150820_122837.thumb.jpg.2daece92234e0e498bd1fc3a3aa130d3.jpg

Another sort of excavation

57b794fd6f03b_2015-08-1913.50.12.thumb.jpg.acc89973e5ee04fd6754691176be4743.jpg

• Like 6

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Two years ago when we visited Nfld, we noticed that onions were scarce and expensive. We surmised it's because they don't seem to grow there, and thus had to be imported. I'll be interested to see if you also found/find this to be the case!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

That wire rack with the cod on it is called a "flake" in Newfoundland. My grandfather's house had one behind it, and I remember inspecting the drying cod with great fascination when I was but a sprout. I'll guess that tips the scale in favor of Newfoundland, though I suspect Scandinavians probably dry cod as well. 

Edited to add: Forgot my longtime rule about not posting a reply without reading the whole thread. Doh...

Looking forward to reading your blog, Elsie. I lived in NL when I was in my teens, but haven't been back since '83 (shame on me). Still have lots of family there, and in fact my parents just got back from a visit. 

Edited by chromedome
Lack of attention to detail... :P (log)
  • Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Can we look forward to cod tongues and seal flipper pie? :P

Never been to the East Coast, but it's certainly on my must-go list.  Can't wait for your foodblog, Elsie D!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Two years ago when we visited Nfld, we noticed that onions were scarce and expensive. We surmised it's because they don't seem to grow there, and thus had to be imported. I'll be interested to see if you also found/find this to be the case!

I'll take a look.  Last year when we were there we were in one grocery store only and that was more by accident than design.  The liquor store was attached to it and we had gone there to buy some wine.  Since it was right there we had a look around and I recall that I thought the produce was expensive. I'll report back.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm guessing this is from L'Anse aux Meadows? The Viking settlement? 

You're guessing correctly!  Here's the other photo she sent me of that area:

57b794de8f681_2015-08-1913.49.14.thumb.jpg.12d203efdba189763aa56f4ffa7283e2.jpg

I'll save the final photo for later.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

That wire rack with the cod on it is called a "flake" in Newfoundland. My grandfather's house had one behind it, and I remember inspecting the drying cod with great fascination when I was but a sprout. I'll guess that tips the scale in favor of Newfoundland, though I suspect Scandinavians probably dry cod as well. 

Edited to add: Forgot my longtime rule about not posting a reply without reading the whole thread. Doh...

Looking forward to reading your blog, Elsie. I lived in NL when I was in my teens, but haven't been back since '83 (shame on me). Still have lots of family there, and in fact my parents just got back from a visit. 

Where did you live?  Last year we started in St. John's and ended our trip in Deer Lake.  We took in the northern part of the Avalon Peninsula,  Bonavista Peninsula,  up to Gambo,  then north through Musgrave Harbour,  Twillingate to Grand Falls. We were worried about the amount of time we had at that point and so had to give Baie Verte Pennisula a miss.  We did explore the Northern Penninsula to the extent that there were roads, and visiting L'Anse aux Meadows.  

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm guessing this is from L'Anse aux Meadows? The Viking settlement? 

Quite right.  That is where the initial settlement was.  As you can see, pretty much all that is left are the outlines of where the buildings stood.  What they have done, though, a bit away from the original site, is created a re-enactment of the original village.  If anyone is interested, i'd be happy to post a couple of pictures.  To tell the truth though, I was much more moved by the outlines of the original, wandering around and wondering what their lives were like back then.   

• Like 4

A few words about the picture of the roadside garden. We saw literally hundreds of them along the highway in the Northern Penninsula.  We were told that although the land belongs to the provincial government, anyone can stake out a garden. They keep these for as long as they want to, or until the province needs the land.  In contrast to other parts of he province, the land here is very barren.  Mostly rock, every now and again you see a few trees. The soil by the roadside, in contrast to thd rest of the area is quite fertile.  These gardens are meticulously maintained.  When we first saw them, we didn't know what to make of them as here they were, in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes there wasn't a house in sight.  From what we were told, theft is also not an issue, it seems people respect other people's property.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Where did you live?  Last year we started in St. John's and ended our trip in Deer Lake.  We did took in the northern part of the Avalon Peninsula,  Bonavista Peninsula,  up to Gambo,  then north through Musgrave Harbour,  Twillingate to Grand Falls. We were worried about the amount of time we had at that point and so had to give Baie Verte Pennisula a miss.  We did explore the Northern Penninsula to the extent that there were roads, and visiting L'Anse aux Meadows.  

I lived in Sop's Arm, a tiny hamlet across White Bay from Baie Verte. Those of my close relatives who still live there were all in the very section you skipped. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

24 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I lived in Sop's Arm, a tiny hamlet across White Bay from Baie Verte. Those of my close relatives who still live there were all in the very section you skipped. :)

If we had only known......

I just looked it up on the map.  I can't say we would have visited there if we had had more time, but you never know.  Some of the best places we saw last year were those off the beaten track.  We would go off the highway and follow all these little roads to the end.

• Like 1