• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream Freezer Bowl No Longer Freezes

beau

The freezing liquid in the bowl of my Cuisinart 2 quart ice cream maker no longer freezes. It's about 20 years old; is this the inevitable destiny of all such freezing liquids?

Everything else in my freezer is as hard as granite :o)

Ooh, that's not good. Try to get your freezer down to 10f or below if you want things to stay solid. Even if you could make ice cream, it won't stay ice cream at 31f due to the sugar content. It will be soupy :(

Edited by pastrygirl
Soup (log)
  • Like 1

Good news! I found a leak in the freezer's seal, fixed it, the temp went right down to 4° F and the ice cream maker's freezing liquid froze solid overnight. Made some delicious ice cream right away!

<< [with freezer at 31° F] . . even if you could make ice cream, it won't stay ice cream at 31f due to the sugar content. It will be soupy >>

I would never put sugar in ice cream!  Heavy cream, egg yolk, a pinch of salt, that's it . . the best ice cream in the world!

Put sugary junk on top if eating sugar has dulled your taste buds so much that cream doesn't taste sweet to you!! End of sermon! :P

29 minutes ago, beau said:

I would never put sugar in ice cream!  Heavy cream, egg yolk, a pinch of salt, that's it . . the best ice cream in the world!

Put sugary junk on top if eating sugar has dulled your taste buds so much that cream doesn't taste sweet to you!! End of sermon! :P

Ouch, that was unnecessary. Eat what you want, but no need to insult all the dedicated and amazing pastry chefs, chocolatiers, confectioners, and home bakers here.  

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On August 23, 2016 at 10:46 AM, pastrygirl said:

Ouch, that was unnecessary. Eat what you want, but no need to insult all the dedicated and amazing pastry chefs, chocolatiers, confectioners, and home bakers here.  

Agreed. And please don't call heavy cream, egg yolk, and a pinch of salt "ice cream." It's not.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly