• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shel's Ex-wife's Kahlua Brownies

Shel_B

My ex-wife used to make these for parties, potlucks, and just plain good eatin' at home.  I have a batch in the oven as I type in the recipe, and thought I'd post it here to eGullet.  Truth is, I'm not even close to a baking expert, although over the last year I have been experimenting with one particular brownie recipe, but this one is not it.  I'm just following the ex's recipe ... and everyone who has tried them comes away with a chocolate smile.  Perhaps you'll enjoy them as well, or maybe even improve upon them.

KAHLUA BROWNIES

1 1/2 Cups sifted all purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2/3 cup butter (Unsalted)

3 1-oz squares unsweetened chocolate

3 large eggs

1/4 cup Kahlua

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 Tbs. Kahlua for top of bars

Resift flour w/baking powder and salt. Melt butter w/chocolate. Beat eggs w/sugar until light. Stir in chocolate mixture and 1/4 cup Kahlua. Add flour mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Turn into greased 9" square pan, bottom lined w/greased parchment or foil. Bake in center of 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, until top springs back when touched lightly in center and edges begin to pull away from pan. Do Not Overbake!

Remove from oven and cool in pan. Brush top with 1 Tbs Kahlua. Let stand until thoroughly cold. Cut into bars or squares.

NOTE: It's alright to brush a little more Kahlua on the tops of the brownies. Remember: Nothing succeeds like excess!

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 3

... Shel