• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

A friend has come back from Turkey. He makes a great dinner every Friday after Thanksgiving, and often cooks something that represented the food on his most recent trip.He's also into meat, so I have no doubt he will be grilling kabobs, and using lamb and/or beef. Usually he wants no help. He keeps his menu pretty secret until the day. However, this year He's asked me to make some Turkish style pickles to go with, maintaining that they were served various kinds of pickles at every meal. He loves the escabeche that I have made for him.

I did a little research on line and discovered that delis and restaurants in Turkey, as well as many home cooks, make a 4-week fermented production, which isn't happening on my watch. So I want to make some quick pickles, a red cabbage pickle and a mixed pickle of some kind. Strangely, the few recipes I found used just about no spices, just vinegar and salt and water, with minimal use of garlic and no fresh herbs. That sounds so plain! I do have some fresh dill, and that might be a worthy addition, but if anyone out there has any suggestions as to what makes Turkish pickles Turkish, do weigh in.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sold! Brilliant reference. And I will use my dill. I think of dill pickles as what I grew up with, but turnips will be new. I'll do a mixed pickle of carrots, beets and turnips. My friend said that there was a wide variety of vegetables used in the pickles he was served, and I'm just assuming that people used whatever was available and looked good. Surprisingly he claims there were never cucumbers. Clearly DL's experience must have been similar. Weirdly I asked another friend who was in Turkey maybe ten years ago claims that she never saw or was served any pickles. 

As for cocktail hour, Jeff will do something unexpected with some kind of Turkish alcohol.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)