• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

22 hours ago, teonzo said:

Seems like a great gift basket.

If someone gifted me a jar of chicken liver pate then he/she would become my hero!

Teo

Italy might be a stretch to ship it, but I will PM you my very favorite recipe, from Bon Appetit (I think; may have been Gourmet) years ago.

21 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice selection. When I did baskets for business clients I went with cheese that is ok to sit out in case it has to wait on a desk or doorstep if they are not around when you deliver.  Is the caponata on the sweet side because your tomatoes were awesomely sweet or?

Well...it's kinda embarrassing. I keep little four-packs of white wine, about 150 ml to the tiny bottle, on hand for cooking, because I don't drink that much white wine and the little bottles are handy. Did not realize until I'd dumped it in, having previously added the honey, that it was moscato.

I added a splash more vinegar to compensate a bit. But yes, the tomatoes (a mix of Romas and Arkansas Travelers) are very sweet.

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, kayb said:

Italy might be a stretch to ship it, but I will PM you my very favorite recipe, from Bon Appetit (I think; may have been Gourmet) years ago.

Can you PM me too?  I have too many chicken livers in my freezer, milked.  

We're well and truly into apple season here, so I've put up another 15 pints of applesauce while the getting's good.

I will probably put up another goodly batch at some point in the near future, and then turn some of it into apple leather for the grandkids. Also the Cortlands (my preferred general-purpose baking apple, of what's locally available) will be available in another week or so. I usually do some of those in the dehydrator as apple rings (again, mostly for the young 'uns) and cut/core/peel the rest and freeze them.

Usually I portion them into bags suitable for smaller and larger pies or crisps, tossed already with sugar, spices and a bit of flour for thickening as they bake. I vac-seal those in my Food Saver, and when I feel the urge to make a pie or an apple crisp they're ready to use.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Followed that batch with another dozen pints a few nights ago. My running tally of greens from the garden is up to 11.6 kg blanched and frozen for winter consumption. Locally grown buttercup squash were on for 25 cents/pound at a local indie grocer this past week, so I bought a LOT of those and have frozen several bags (didn't bother to weigh them) of the cooked squash for later use.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 6:49 AM, lemniscate said:

I'm not canning anything this year, but have been seeing the alarm over the lid shortage for 2-3 months.   Another thing I have heard is that some of the newer lids are not sealing after processing, some experienced canners are claiming 20-30% failures.  The going theory is something changed in the sealing material on the edge of the lid and it is not behaving as previous material.   

There have been a lot of fakes appearing on Amazon this year. The main problem is that the real and fake boxes get thrown in together in Amazon's warehouses, and if you buy one that is "Fulfilled by Amazon" you can't guarantee you'll get a real one even if you buy from a trusted seller.

The boxes for the fakes vary in quality, and the lids usually don't have the Ball/Kerr logos.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, jbates said:

There have been a lot of fakes appearing on Amazon this year. The main problem is that the real and fake boxes get thrown in together in Amazon's warehouses, and if you buy one that is "Fulfilled by Amazon" you can't guarantee you'll get a real one even if you buy from a trusted seller.

The boxes for the fakes vary in quality, and the lids usually don't have the Ball/Kerr logos.

That is so disappointing to find out there are fakes floating around.  All of the hard work to grow your food, then preserve it, only to find out they don't seal.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Turned 10 lbs of Cortlands into 5 trays of rings in my dehydrator and three vacuum-bagged portions of pie-ready apples (sliced, spiced, floured, lightly sweetened) in my freezer.

I'll do this once or twice more over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Turned 10 lbs of Cortlands into 5 trays of rings in my dehydrator and three vacuum-bagged portions of pie-ready apples (sliced, spiced, floured, lightly sweetened) in my freezer.

I'll do this once or twice more over the next few weeks.

Why do you flour the slices?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Why do you flour the slices?

I always add a starch of some sort to apple pie to absorb/thicken the juices as the apples cook. Sometimes I'll use cornstarch or something of that sort, but I find I prefer flour in a long-baking dessert like a big pie. Adding that when the apples go into the freezer, instead of at the time of baking, gives the flour opportunity to fully hydrate. It seems to me (though I have not done head-to-head testing, and can't swear to it empirically) that the juices thicken more quickly when I do it this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been dehydrating some apples in my APO and I have a couple questions.  How long should one leave apple slices in the acid bath?  How do folks feel about freeze pasteurization?  Teresa Marrone in The Beginner's Guide to Making and Using Dried Foods suggests freeze pasteurizing dried foods, though I've not seen the technique in other books.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Jo, I'm so sorry...I don't know any answers to your questions.  

And, I have more questions to add lol.

I've put away my canner and pressure canner......then my B-I-L texted to say he has tons of peppers if we want them.  Of course, I said yes.  I might have to drag my stuff back out.  I was thinking of making a big batch of pepperonata, but there are only like 5-6 bell peppers.  Is spicy pepperonata a thing?  Mostly they are banana and Anaheim with maybe 20 jalapeños.   Any fun, different ideas rather than pickling?  I won't let them go to waste.  Tomorrow I will be searching the net looking for ideas......

thumbnail_IMG_0031.jpg.7ddb8b2b80ae3c153ad1d84ec97129a1.jpg

• Like 3

I tackled the jalapeños yesterday.  Saving a few back for other purposes.  There weren't enough to can so I decided to pickle them and let them set in the brine for a while on the stove.  When mostly cooled I dumped them in a jar.  I figure they will stay nicely in the fridge for at least a month.  I use pickled jalapeños in a lot of things.

thumbnail_IMG_0043.jpg.8118d01d33c4aaa217ed096e4057ad00.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

12 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Shelby, there's something called "cowboy candy" (jalapeños) that are supposed to be really good. I haven't tried making it. It's called "candy," but is eaten as a pickle (with savory foods).

I think @Shelby could write the book on cowboy candy so if you have questions about making it, you've come to the right place!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

@Shelby, there's something called "cowboy candy" (jalapeños) that are supposed to be really good. I haven't tried making it. It's called "candy," but is eaten as a pickle (with savory foods).

I love cowboy candy!  Excellent over ribs...baked chicken....on top of cream cheese with crackers.... you should make some.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Would love to hear your method! 

Ok, give me time.  Might be a few days....family illness but I hope I'm wrong.  Long story short as soon as I can I'll post the recipe :) 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, TicTac said:

Would love to hear your method! 

Well, dang, the link to the cowboy candy recipe that I used doesn't work anymore :( (lesson to Shelby: don't depend on the internet, write stuff down!). I'm not seeing anything online yet that looks close to what I did.  I know I didn't put any celery and I don't think I did any turmeric.....I'll keep looking.

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, dang, the link to the cowboy candy recipe that I used doesn't work anymore :( (lesson to Shelby: don't depend on the internet, write stuff down!). I'm not seeing anything online yet that looks close to what I did.  I know I didn't put any celery and I don't think I did any turmeric.....I'll keep looking.

Maybe @Okanagancook has it written down somewhere.  She has referred to “@Shelby's Cowboy Candy” a few times.

Of course, now I want some, too 🙃

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Maybe @Okanagancook has it written down somewhere.  She has referred to “@Shelby's Cowboy Candy” a few times.

Of course, now I want some, too 🙃

I hope she did!  I can't believe I was so stupid sigh.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Have you tried the Internet Wayback? They archive websites, you may be able to find your recipe using their site, https://archive.org/web/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1