• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

Preserved yolks...interesting.  What use for it?

Lately in our house it has been ramp season, so lots of pounding with the mortar and pestle (a far superior product than the blender) and good olive oil.  So far, 12 jars have made their way into the freezer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Preserved yolks...interesting.  What use for it?

I grate them over pasta, vegetables - would be lovely on asparagus - for a little umami hit.  Anywhere I might otherwise use a sprinkle of parm but don't want to go the cheese route. 

Since @Anna N is dipping into Japanese and Asian themes these days, I can imagine they would make a nice condiment there too and look forward to seeing how she uses them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I am assuming that the flavour increases via dehydration?

Sounds interesting.  Almost like a vegan botarga!

Well I don’t think it can be vegan if it’s egg but vegetarian for sure.  Hoping the flavour will increase but this is my first attempt.  Who knows what I may get.   But it is certainly meant to be a condiment that can be grated on top of various things.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh man this thread is so my jam*

Processed some mixed marinated veg this weekend , basically marinated shrooms but I add roasted red peppers, asparagus, and onion, because that all seems delicious.  No pic because I ran out of white vinegar and used cider vinegar so it is ugly as sin! But tastes fantastic still.

*pun intended

Edited by KCWilkinson (log)
  • Like 2

-K

On 2018-05-28 at 11:08 AM, Anna N said:

They will now rest in the refrigerator for four days before spending further time being dehydrated in a low oven.

So the yolks have spent four days in salt in the refrigerator and today I removed them from the salt, rinsed them off and they will now sit in a low oven (150°F) for one and a half to two hours or until done. 

If you are thinking of doing this,  You would be wise to follow one recommendation which I failed to do. Before you bury the eggs in the sugar and salt combination whiz that combination in the food processor. Very coarse crystals of the salt I used threatened the integrity of the yolks as I tried to get them out of their bed. 

705D208A-DA39-44DE-903D-8411E6022E35.thumb.jpeg.45e2b87e4668798ce2caea4087a1ac43.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Tell us more :) 

you have to have green walnuts which are still very soft. Cut all the green outside off until you have this white, soft nut. Put it immediately into water with some lemon juice, otherwise they turn brown. Cook a syrup with abt 500 ml water, 150 g sugar, juice of 2 lemons, 1vanilla bean. Cook for abt 10 min, put the nuts into the liquid, cook until soft (abt 10 min) fill into prepared jars, wait 6 month ;-)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

you have to have green walnuts which are still very soft. Cut all the green outside off until you have this white, soft nut. Put it immediately into water with some lemon juice, otherwise they turn brown. Cook a syrup with abt 500 ml water, 150 g sugar, juice of 2 lemons, 1vanilla bean. Cook for abt 10 min, put the nuts into the liquid, cook until soft (abt 10 min) fill into prepared jars, wait 6 month ;-)

Hmmm - should be some immature walnuts popping up this time of year. Do you still get black hands cutting off the green?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

I have green walnuts right now.  May have to see if I can gather enough to try this.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, ninagluck said:

Sounds like Georgian kaklis muraba.

https://georgianrecipes.net/2013/09/10/kaklis-muraba-pickled-walnuts/

I don't make them myself, mind you.  This is the brand of which I have become quite fond:

http://www.georgiangourmet.com/whole-walnut-preserve-from-georgia.html

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

I started out on my first batch of pickles for the season, as well. They're currently overnighting in a bath of lime water. Then they'll get rinsed and overnighted in ice water, then cooked in brine and jarred. These will be sweets, some of them sweet-hots; I still have some of the cucumbers to work up, and those will become half-sours, but I've run out of gas.That's tomorrow's preserving adventure. I'll set them to fermenting in the jars.

K.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pickling!

20180703_120716.thumb.jpg.9507c0704ae1d0dde88c12a8b77bba17.jpg

What will be kosher dills, about to go in salt-water brine and ready to ferment.

20180703_191943.thumb.jpg.388a143fcd751a35c8a61f34ff4a26cd.jpg

Sweet pickles-to-be that will soak in brine overnight.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sweet corn is ripe.  I planted a new (to me) variety this year.  I also have some Silver Queen that came up on it's own.  Anyway, the new variety is called Nirvana.  I can't believe it, but I love it more than Silver Queen.  The kernels just burst corny, sweet goodness into your mouth.  I could eat nothing but corn right now (and that's saying a lot).  Next year I have to do something about the damn earworms --Mom told me a farmer she knew used mineral oil on the silks at a very specific time during growth and that suffocated the worms/eggs.  Anyway, our corn isn't perfect, but it's SO good.  I decided to freeze it instead of pressure can it.  Easier for me and I think it tastes better.

Picked this morning

IMG_4870.JPG.6d8b78232a89ec2e99bfb95588f1e715.JPG

Shucked and blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes and then dumped into a sink full of ice water

IMG_4871.JPG.669940f70a422bc079cea11391dc4e96.JPG

I used the method @kayb taught me--a bundt cake pan.  Place the corn in the hole and scrape it down.  

IMG_4872.JPG.851427c93c9e517eec67be714e17d305.JPG

The nekkid cobs

IMG_4873.JPG.8a5a50b35604bbe90ee818c53b7a63c6.JPG

Bagged up and ready to freeze

IMG_4874.JPG.ffcd94530c8f7069df3d944c21dec57b.JPG

Now, I'm off to clean up the random spurts of corn that are all over the kitchen and to contemplate if I want to mess with the cobs or just dump them on the garden compost pile........

• Like 7

@Shelby

Big WoW and a few Kudos for the Corn and the Freezing

Ive thought about that for several years

on the 4th July and Memorial day , corn dans le Huske if uch cheaper in NE

I have had visions of getting a few , and doing what you've done

and enjoying the Results in Jan or Feb after a Massive SnowStorm

after Ive Frozen to Death

after Snow-blowing

good for you

maybe some day.

not to make your day longer

re : Deep Run Roots

have you ever made CornCobStock ?

Id never heard of it before

just and idea .....................

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Sweet corn is ripe.  I planted a new (to me) variety this year.  I also have some Silver Queen that came up on it's own.  Anyway, the new variety is called Nirvana.  I can't believe it, but I love it more than Silver Queen.  The kernels just burst corny, sweet goodness into your mouth.  I could eat nothing but corn right now (and that's saying a lot).  Next year I have to do something about the damn earworms --Mom told me a farmer she knew used mineral oil on the silks at a very specific time during growth and that suffocated the worms/eggs.  Anyway, our corn isn't perfect, but it's SO good.  I decided to freeze it instead of pressure can it.  Easier for me and I think it tastes better.

Picked this morning

IMG_4870.JPG.6d8b78232a89ec2e99bfb95588f1e715.JPG

Shucked and blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes and then dumped into a sink full of ice water

IMG_4871.JPG.669940f70a422bc079cea11391dc4e96.JPG

I used the method @kayb taught me--a bundt cake pan.  Place the corn in the hole and scrape it down.  

IMG_4872.JPG.851427c93c9e517eec67be714e17d305.JPG

The nekkid cobs

IMG_4873.JPG.8a5a50b35604bbe90ee818c53b7a63c6.JPG

Bagged up and ready to freeze

IMG_4874.JPG.ffcd94530c8f7069df3d944c21dec57b.JPG

Now, I'm off to clean up the random spurts of corn that are all over the kitchen and to contemplate if I want to mess with the cobs or just dump them on the garden compost pile........

If you like corn chowder, I'd suggest making corn stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am so well informed 

but Soooooo

backward in my Results

:(

just to be clear :

have your heard Corn Grow ?

its a very real thing

does not help you

for any results

dans le plate.