• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

26 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The meat is droole worthy!

Thanks.  Few things can be quite so easy!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely work! Going to hold on to that process/recipe. Will pick up ducks one of these days at the Chinese market. Pastrami from the breasts, confit from the legs.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Question about the slicing.  Could one use a slicer machine or is it too ‘floppy’?

It isn’t floppy at all but quite firm. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

39F74350-A84C-4334-872D-1BED3A14E8B9.thumb.jpeg.3bd3b92aeae95b449c17baf82329024a.jpeg

Asian pears with lemon, and radishes.  I made the Asian pear pickles once when @Kerry Beal and I were up in Manitoulin.  They were very good.  The radishes are quite pungent when you first open the jar.:o

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

15A61D03-689A-42C8-AE84-B32C88BB7B17.thumb.jpeg.e657c64711ccd4bf6a111f8952e93faf.jpeg

“Wasabi” carrot pickles. Actually the recipe calls for horseradish rather than wasabi since real wasabi is almost impossible to source.  I suspect that these would appeal to @HungryChris  who is not afraid of a little heat. Here.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Anna N, could you share a link/recipe for the Asian pear pickles?

But of course. I have the book but I found this online and it’s the same recipe.

Click.

The recipe suggests that the pears will take about six minutes to cook. Ha ha.   Mine took considerably longer — like about 24 minutes. YMMV. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Many thanks! Looks simple enough. They would work well with the pineapple pears from the tree up home, should it decide to bear this year.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2018-05-12 at 9:24 AM, Anna N said:

15A61D03-689A-42C8-AE84-B32C88BB7B17.thumb.jpeg.e657c64711ccd4bf6a111f8952e93faf.jpeg

“Wasabi” carrot pickles. Actually the recipe calls for horseradish rather than wasabi since real wasabi is almost impossible to source.  I suspect that these would appeal to @HungryChris  who is not afraid of a little heat. Here.

The Silk Road Spice Merchant has Wasabi and they ship.  Actually, they have a lot of interesting spices.  All fresh.  https://silkroadspices.ca/products/wasabi-powder?variant=7246103543874

DSC02416.thumb.jpg.0dd0ea3488781782c56d4595b032f310.jpgDSC02417.thumb.jpg.1631ecac2246a88da560a088bc23a909.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Thanks 1

Oh My !

Ive never had fresh wasabi grated just before you get your Sushi etc.

I did see , sometimes back . a reputable British food show 

and yes they are

that went so some place in GB that's growing it.  etc

in fresh water etc , and very secret as it so expensive and perishable.   

they tasted it fresh ground , and I have no reason to believe the shows 

presenter had any reason to exaggerate.

in Canada , rats.

however , is the real wasabi powder , when re-constituted 

worth the effort ?

Im keen to know.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The powder isn't nearly as strong and hot as freshly grated.  It's quite mild.  I have used it in the Wasabi-soy vinaigrette from Raising the Salad Bar.  The dressing needed some cayenne/white pepper to get more of a kick.  If you are wild about wasabi, it's probably not worth it.

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The powder isn't nearly as strong and hot as freshly grated.  It's quite mild.  I have used it in the Wasabi-soy vinaigrette from Raising the Salad Bar.  The dressing needed some cayenne/white pepper to get more of a kick.  If you are wild about wasabi, it's probably not worth it.

That was my thought. Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

@ElsieD

wow

had I known about this and it existed some time ago

I would have figured out how to grow in in MA

other :

thanks for your qualifiers 

Ill lust after something else

which is never a problem.

I wrote about growing it for some publication or other. I don't remember who it was, just that I had a hell of a time getting paid.

It grows fine in temperate climates, but it's terribly temperamental. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29082091

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 5/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, Anna N said:

But of course. I have the book but I found this online and it’s the same recipe.

Click.

The recipe suggests that the pears will take about six minutes to cook. Ha ha.   Mine took considerably longer — like about 24 minutes. YMMV. 

A short while back, I posted on the Crazy Good eBook Bargains discussion that Karen Johnson had a number of Kindle ebooks regarding Asian pickling on sale (they're currently still sale priced).

You can visit her Amazon page here (click) to view her titles.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yesterday, I spied the first cherries of the year at the local farmers market.

IMG_7837.thumb.jpg.d0e5a3054019d2a31bbf789e637000d6.jpg

I ate a bunch and the rest went into the pickled cherries from Six Seasons

IMG_7844.thumb.jpg.084b1837fd1224663b754f032b2b4bb9.jpg

The book uses a standard brine for a variety of refrigerator pickles.  I found it on the sweet side for some of the vegetables but I'm hoping it will be good for these cherries.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, I spied the first cherries of the year at the local farmers market.

IMG_7837.thumb.jpg.d0e5a3054019d2a31bbf789e637000d6.jpg

I ate a bunch and the rest went into the pickled cherries from Six Seasons

IMG_7844.thumb.jpg.084b1837fd1224663b754f032b2b4bb9.jpg

The book uses a standard brine for a variety of refrigerator pickles.  I found it on the sweet side for some of the vegetables but I'm hoping it will be good for these cherries.

Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made some coconut macaroons this morning and had four egg yolks that I couldn’t waste. 

5F893DF8-A9C1-4126-A06B-F20C0D96557C.thumb.jpeg.e5caf663f59d2a3ea9e3c2ac12fa4777.jpeg

On their way to becoming salt-cured yolks, I hope. I suspect the yolk on the lower left is broken so it may not make the whole journey.  I took the photograph before they were completely buried in salt/sugar mix. They will now rest in the refrigerator for four days before spending further time being dehydrated in a low oven. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog