• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

13 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@kayb Envious I am! Black Arks are about my favorite apple in the world when they are good. The last few years here in CA they have been scarce and not as crispy as in the past. The season for them is like 2 weeks if we are lucky.

I did not see them at all last year. Been watching like a hawk this year. Apparently it's been a good harvest. We'll see how many jars of apple butter I get out of a half-bushel, and see if we need to go back. I wouldn't mind having some to dry...

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Got my first-ever batch of sauerkraut fermenting in the basement. A 2 kg batch, which seems pretty adequate for a first attempt. No pic, because...well...sauerkraut. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Pressure canned 14 jars of venison. 11 were taco seasoned, ground venison, and 3 were chunked stew meat.  Next round is going to be for chili- so I will add salt and chili powders to it, along with onion and garlic. 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Has anyone successfully canned lemon curd, for longer-than-a-couple-of-weeks consumption? A friend's chickens are still laying 10 eggs a day, freezer space is tight, and she's feeling a little overwhelmed.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I don't do a lot of pickling or preserving, but this time of year I do two things. We eat dinner every Friday after Thanksgiving (absolutely NO leftovers allowed) with friends who love the following, so I take them some: escabeche with cauliflower, carrots and jalapeños and Mostarda di Cremona. The escabeche I like is based on Lisa Fain's recipe in Homesick Texan. The Mostarda is adapted from Mario Batali's Molto Italiano (I go heavy on the fresh pears and NEVER EVER include....drumroll.....raisins!)  I bring them some coppa as well, since it is so yummy with the mostarda. 

• Like 2

Pressure canners out there: I have a question. I saved the drumsticks and uneaten dark meat from the turkey, and thought I would make Turkey Rillettes. I'd like to put them in four-ounce jars and can them, to put in Christmas gift baskets, so they would be shelf-stable.

What pressure and how long?

Many thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

Button mushrooms are on sale this week at Aldi. I am halfway through the last 2 quart batch of marinated mushrooms and decided it was time to make a back-up jar. Here is a pot with 4 pounds in the mild vinegar brine on the stove.

IMG_1309.thumb.JPG.eb99e9620f556bb61ae4927c6c6fb721.JPG

Here is the back-up 2 quart jar cooling on the deck rail next to some turkey soup I made earlier in the day.

HC

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.bfe4501e7ff491ad58880a6072b0ac87.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Button mushrooms are on sale this week at Aldi. I am halfway through the last 2 quart batch of marinated mushrooms and decided it was time to make a back-up jar. Here is a pot with 4 pounds in the mild vinegar brine on the stove.

IMG_1309.thumb.JPG.eb99e9620f556bb61ae4927c6c6fb721.JPG

Here is the back-up 2 quart jar cooling on the deck rail next to some turkey soup I made earlier in the day.

HC

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.bfe4501e7ff491ad58880a6072b0ac87.JPG

I keep losing your recipe.  Do you think you have time at some point to put it in the recipe archive here?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There's a recipe I'd recommend for marinated mushrooms in Time-Life Cooking of Italy.  Someone here recommended it and I was very pleased when I made a batch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am not sure how to post a link to the HungryChris mushroom recipe/method, but it was posted on this thread on February 20 this year. John.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

47 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I am not sure how to post a link to the HungryChris mushroom recipe/method, but it was posted on this thread on February 20 this year. John.

Here's the February 20 post.  Thanks, JohnT, for the date of the post, to make it easy to find.  Perhaps HungryChris will be willing to post it to RecipeGullet also, as suggested.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

46 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Here's the February 20 post.  Thanks, JohnT, for the date of the post, to make it easy to find.  Perhaps HungryChris will be willing to post it to RecipeGullet also, as suggested.

I will put it on RecipeGullet in the near future. My problem is that I have been doing this for so long that I go by feel and not by measuring cup. The next time I do it, I will break it down into exact quantities. It does produce a marinated mushroom that I have come to love and cannot go without.

HC

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I will put it on RecipeGullet in the near future.

Thank you. Thank you.  I will consider it a Christmas present from you to me. You were thinking of one, right?xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If you noticed my Thanksgiving relish tray on that post, it contained pickled asparagus and marinated mushrooms, both @HungryChris recipes I have finally saved (at least until I have a computer crash and it eats my data). I was MOST thankful for you that day, Chris!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Crankraut

Cranberries and red cabbage.

Natural fermentation.

2% equilibrium brine.

2qx9d0m.jpg

• Like 11

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Crankraut

Cranberries and red cabbage.

Natural fermentation.

2% equilibrium brine.

2qx9d0m.jpg

Now, that's intriguing. Just berries, cabbage and brine?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

20 minutes ago, kayb said:

Now, that's intriguing. Just berries, cabbage and brine?

Yeah—cranberries, cabbage, and 2% salt.

If the cranberries and cabbage don't yield enough water after salting, I add 2% brine to cover.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We are making an effort to shut down the industrial meat freezer to save on electricity.  That thing is a beast.   So, I moved several cases of beef and chicken from that freezer to the smaller freezer -gifted to us by my father in law. There was some beef that would not fit, so I've been canning away.  Managed to do 16 pints of ground beef with onion and seasoning- last night.   The small mouth jars aren't my favorite, but Wallyworld had them on Black Friday special for $5/case, so I picked up a couple cases.  

Also discovered that with the small mouth, I can cram 16 jars in the canner, whereas only 14 fit with the wide mouth. 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: