• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

I would like some advice on drying tomatoes.  I have the new Breville Air" oven which has a dehydrator setting.  I would like to try my hand at drying Roma tomatoes.  The consensus seems to be, from what I have read, that you cut them in half, cut the stern end out, dry the cut surfaces, place them cut side up on a rack which is placed on a tray, sprinkle them lightly with salt and  dehydrate them for 8 hours.  I would check them from time to time as they dehydrate at different times;  they should have the consistency of dried apricots.  I can also use an oven set to 170F with the door propped open and dehydrate for 12 to 13 hours.  Does all of this make sense?  Or should I be doing something differently?  

I'd be surprised if they dried in that length of time, unless that's one heckuva dehydrator. I've had moderate luck, though, drying cherry and grape tomatoes,halved, tossed olive oil and salt, and put on a rack in the oven at 250 overnight. I'd think I might slice the Romas, myself.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I'd be surprised if they dried in that length of time, unless that's one heckuva dehydrator. I've had moderate luck, though, drying cherry and grape tomatoes,halved, tossed olive oil and salt, and put on a rack in the oven at 250 overnight. I'd think I might slice the Romas, myself.

@kayb  Thank you.  They are both convection ovens, if that makes any difference.  Today at the market I bought a small basket of 7 Roma tomatoes.  I'll put some in each oven first thing tomorrow and see what happens.  My normal bed time is 1:00 AM so if they go on at 9:00 AM that gives them 16 hours.   Do you or anyone else know why I should salt them first?  

23 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@kayb  Thank you.  They are both convection ovens, if that makes any difference.  Today at the market I bought a small basket of 7 Roma tomatoes.  I'll put some in each oven first thing tomorrow and see what happens.  My normal bed time is 1:00 AM so if they go on at 9:00 AM that gives them 16 hours.   Do you or anyone else know why I should salt them first?  

Well, salt will help to drive out the water. Salt will also help preserve the tomatoes better by giving you another attack against bacteria growing. And salt makes them taste better.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Canned some tomatoes this weekend using the Tomatoes in jars recipe from Vivian Howard's "Deep Run Roots". Looking forward to making some of her recipes that call for these tomatoes. Have enough tomatoes to can some more tomorrow night.

59ae0857433a9_IMG_5037-lowres.jpg.777b51ba7dc9fdfa5b6efe779f70da60.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, curls said:

Canned some tomatoes this weekend using the Tomatoes in jars recipe from Vivian Howard's "Deep Run Roots". Looking forward to making some of her recipes that call for these tomatoes. Have enough tomatoes to can some more tomorrow night.

59ae0857433a9_IMG_5037-lowres.jpg.777b51ba7dc9fdfa5b6efe779f70da60.jpg

Nothing much prettier to me than canned 'maters!  Nice job!

• Like 2

My husband's daughter, a friend and I spent the weekend making and canning salsa.  Last year was our first year doing this, thanks to the largesse of her brother-in-law and his bumper crop of tomatoes and peppers; I wonder if he knew how many people he'd get hooked on the process? This year there was no such gift, so we kept going back to the local farm stand for more. We made 24 quarts' worth. Maybe this will last our families through the year? Nah...I may make more when we get home, just to be sure. Here's the haul that hadn't already been inhaled or given away, before we split it 2 ways.

20170906_084132.jpg

3556.jpeg

Each day's batch was a bit hotter than the previous, thanks to changes in the balance and type of peppers. I think we hit our upper limit with the last batch. Does anyone know what variety of peppers these are?  

20170905_191921.jpg

The top one, with the crooked neck, is a good heat source. I brought these from the farm stand at home, where the salesman didn't know the type and the farmer wasn't present to answer my questions.

• Like 12

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_1550.thumb.JPG.0895cf6dfa3c0cdc795dc8d6b357e1f8.JPG

I refuse to be intimidated by all you  Extreme Canners:D

These are actually quickles from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1568.thumb.JPG.1400357c69ca6c9afbeb1d91f39d9be7.JPGIMG_1569.thumb.JPG.fbc56fda3ee241e6b064802496b17ee3.JPG

Onion jam made in the Thermomix. Not terribly photogenic.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My mother-in-law was telling me a couple days ago that she has a craving for relish--zucchini relish piled on a hotdog.  She was going to make some but I think she said she was out of onions...and, also, I don't think she has a cuisinart so she would have to shred all of the ingredients by hand and that's a lot for her.  Anyway, I decided to be a good daughter-in-law and make some for her.  I hope she likes it......

Not too pretty of a picture, but ....

IMG_3725.JPG.fa9ddbc722bdb22839eb5cc3b46830ab.JPG

And after it's all canned up.  

IMG_3726.JPG.8716588d02cb304c65276a03d54e8c89.JPG

I halved the recipe.....I should have halved it again because I don't know what I'll do with two whole pints for myself xD

• Like 7

Wow, some wonderful stuff here. I'm doing minimal stuff this summer, though I did make some super-small batches of jam - here are some raspberry, blackberry and apricot jams. Not processed, so we will have to try and use them up fairly quickly. 

Jams.jpg.cf7abcf90c4550bc3328b8bcf86b14cf.jpg

• Like 8

I have three experimental jars of dill pickles beginning the lacto-fermentation process. No pictures, because I never think of 'em until I'm sitting here at the computer. Also have been stocking up my herb stash for winter, drying some (parsley, oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary) and pureeing and freezing others (cilantro, more sage, basil, Thai basil). 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I dry the whole leaves, and I find they do retain their flavor fairly well. You have to use more than you would if it was fresh, but I find that even one well-grown parsley plant provides plenty. The one I've got this year is so big I can't fit my arms around it, and it grew almost waist high. 

I've been gathering bunches the size of my head all summer long (and I've got a big head!) and it's still huge. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I forgot to take photos while I had everything out, but the list of canned/preserved foods is ever increasing:

pressure canned:

ground beef with taco seasoning.....14 pints

ground beef with peppers and onions (the base for Uncle Carl's sloppy joe)...8 quarts

ground beef with onion and Italian seasoning for spaghetti sauce or lasagna.7 quarts

stew meat.....7 pints or more. I lost count there, too. 

waterbath canned:

Blueberry/blackberry jam-7pints

Blueberry jam- 7 pints

smooth applesauce...7 pints

Blueberries in simple syrup....I lost count. 

Today, I'll do chunky applesauce.   Next week, I am butchering the 14 meat chickens- some of which will end up being canned.  The turkeys are not nearly ready for butchering.At this rate.  I'll likely end up dressing them Thanksgiving morning. :+/

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

I forgot to take photos while I had everything out, but the list of canned/preserved foods is ever increasing:

pressure canned:

ground beef with taco seasoning.....14 pints

ground beef with peppers and onions (the base for Uncle Carl's sloppy joe)...8 quarts

ground beef with onion and Italian seasoning for spaghetti sauce or lasagna.7 quarts

stew meat.....7 pints or more. I lost count there, too. 

waterbath canned:

Blueberry/blackberry jam-7pints

Blueberry jam- 7 pints

smooth applesauce...7 pints

Blueberries in simple syrup....I lost count. 

Today, I'll do chunky applesauce.   Next week, I am butchering the 14 meat chickens- some of which will end up being canned.  The turkeys are not nearly ready for butchering.At this rate.  I'll likely end up dressing them Thanksgiving morning. :+/

You always inspire me.  

I haven't done meat in the pressure canner yet.  Why?  I think it scares me and that is ridiculous.  I have tons of venison burger to use up so why not try canning?

(I'm giving myself a pep talk here).

Could you please share directions to doing the taco meat?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

You always inspire me.  

I haven't done meat in the pressure canner yet.  Why?  I think it scares me and that is ridiculous.  I have tons of venison burger to use up so why not try canning?

(I'm giving myself a pep talk here).

Could you please share directions to doing the taco meat?  

The taco meat is easy.  Brown the ground beef, though it doesn't have to be entirely done.  For every pound of ground beef, add in a scant 5 TBS of taco seasoning.  Pack the ground beef in the pints, use the leftover beef juices to fill the jar with a 1" headspace.  Its going to be salty, but you can always drain and rinse a bit before using.  

You'd have to pressure can pints for 75 minutes, at 10 pounds.  I double stacked them in the pressure canner, and did 14 all at once. =) 

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

The taco meat is easy.  Brown the ground beef, though it doesn't have to be entirely done.  For every pound of ground beef, add in a scant 5 TBS of taco seasoning.  Pack the ground beef in the pints, use the leftover beef juices to fill the jar with a 1" headspace.  Its going to be salty, but you can always drain and rinse a bit before using.  

You'd have to pressure can pints for 75 minutes, at 10 pounds.  I double stacked them in the pressure canner, and did 14 all at once. =) 

Awesome!  I'm going out to get packages of venison burger to thaw out now.  We like salty, so it's all good :)   Thank you!

• Like 1

It is the Saurkraut season for me:

This may amuse you:
Sauerkraut, four large hard white cabbage, salt and seasoning.
cutting the first quarter piece I neglected to use the protector and sliced into my index finger through the nail and out the other side. it has just stopped throbbing.

who’d a thunk you could get 4 cabbage in there, but you have to pound them.
the color of the slicer is rather overpowering but it was £4 cheaper than the more sensible colours (from Germany, as was the pot.)
i will try it in about a month (do not tell Wendy)

note the blood on the pounder.

I did have four apples to peel and cut into small pieces (one for each cabbage,) but as i cut a finger tip into small pieces the fun went out of that idea.

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

• Like 3

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.