• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

I picked cherries. Too many cherries. I love picking cherries.

4 jars of Sweet and Sour Cherry Jam with Kirsch. (from Ferber's Mes Confitures - her recipe is called Morello Cherry and Black Cherry with Kirsch but the farm where I pick simply has sweet cherries and sour cherries.)

DSC02329.thumb.jpg.cb6ac0318547cfef3d10018428834beb.jpg

Also 7 jars of Cherry and Orange Conserve. This is more like a sauce for ice cream rather than a jam. It was supposed to be all sweet cherries but i didn't have quite enough so I used some sour cherries too and increased the sugar just a little.

DSC02328.thumb.jpg.587298cb154ecec4f6b26961e439e181.jpg

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

10 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

I picked cherries. Too many cherries. I love picking cherries.

4 jars of Sweet and Sour Cherry Jam with Kirsch. (from Ferber's Mes Confitures - her recipe is called Morello Cherry and Black Cherry with Kirsch but the farm where I pick simply has sweet cherries and sour cherries.)

DSC02329.thumb.jpg.cb6ac0318547cfef3d10018428834beb.jpg

Also 7 jars of Cherry and Orange Conserve. This is more like a sauce for ice cream rather than a jam. It was supposed to be all sweet cherries but i didn't have quite enough so I used some sour cherries too and increased the sugar just a little.

DSC02328.thumb.jpg.587298cb154ecec4f6b26961e439e181.jpg

I LOVE cherries.  Especially sour cherries.  Everything is so pretty.  You worked hard and it shows!

• Like 4

I contemplated putting up some of the Rainiers I bought the other day. But I've eaten more than half of them out of hand. They sure are good with yogurt and granola.

I need to pick cucumbers again tomorrow. I have done nothing with the last batch I picked. It may be sweet pickle relish time.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I need to pick cucumbers again tomorrow. I have done nothing with the last batch I picked. It may be sweet pickle relish time.

My cucumber plants are about 4" high! :$

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

what id the advantage , these days , to canning , say green beans , vs  blanching and vacuum bagging and freezing ?

For me it's that I don't have a ton of freezer space.  Our venison takes up a lot of room.

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and you get to see so many pretty jars in the basement

when there is 3 ft of snow outside.

I do enjoy that too!  

Honestly, it takes longer to prep the beans than it does to actually can them.....

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

what id the advantage , these days , to canning , say green beans , vs  blanching and vacuum bagging and freezing ?

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

For me it's that I don't have a ton of freezer space.  Our venison takes up a lot of room.

When I was a kid and we "put up" almost all the veggies we ate all winter, there were certain things one froze and certain things one canned, because...there just were. One froze okra (cut up, breaded in cornmeal, frozen on a cookie sheet and then transferred to a big bag), purple hulled peas, lima beans, brown butterbeans, and peaches. One canned, in addition to pickles, jams and jellies, green beans and shelled pinto beans and butterpeas (something like a chickpea).

They just tasted better that way.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

Another issue is power outages. This doesn't effect me - and I freeze veggies rather than canning them - but if you live in a place with possible serious power outages due to hurricanes or tornados or other disasters you can lose the contents of a freezer while your canned goods are perfectly safe. 

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 5

I had a big day yesterday.

Finally had enough tomatoes to make a bit of spaghetti sauce.  It's still keeping warm in the Instant Pot because I was too tired to put it away last night lol.

Also finally had enough cucumbers to start a batch of pickles.  Thankfully there was still a nice bit of dill in the garden to use.

5966387694fbd_photo243.JPG.1b1898ea297125baead44333f4e50809.JPG

5966387c82820_photo244.JPG.4e2d84ce91aaeff9c2f62131b818b952.JPG

596638814f2a5_photo245.JPG.0f738cd5aa1b26d53b2508143ba3014b.JPG

Then, I copied @dcarch and dehydrated some squash.  I don't know why it never crossed my mind to do that before so THANK you dcarch!!!  They dried overnight and this morning I did a little test--rehydrated a slice in hot water.  Worked like a charm.

596638874a428_photo242.JPG.29281a7a26eef662e530c22237e70d7f.JPG

5966388e98b65_photo240.JPG.593062e25f7131060369e4c134372750.JPG

59663894bd165_photo241.JPG.dcdb553dec1e401a05c625f1904e6046.JPG

I will use these in the winter in spaghetti sauce for sure!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

...Then, I copied @dcarch and dehydrated some squash.  I don't know why it never crossed my mind to do that before so THANK you dcarch!!!  They dried overnight and this morning I did a little test--rehydrated a slice in hot water.  Worked like a charm.

@Shelby So now visitors can leave their car doors unlocked when visiting you without fear of returning to a car full of squash? xD :B

Edited by Toliver
added name tag (log)
  • Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 minutes ago, Toliver said:

@Shelby So now visitors can leave their car doors unlocked when visiting you without fear of returning to a car full of squash? xD :B

xD

Oh no, one should be afraid.  Be very afraid.

• Like 8

596a7eaa89cc2_picklerelish0715.jpg.70a5e8c85922757d2098f5091f5cd6c5.jpg

Sweet pickle relish. Brine of 4 cups vinegar, 2 cups sugar, 4 tbsp. pickling spice. In addition to cucumbers, a couple of big onions and a healthy double handful of Cubanelle sweet peppers shredded up in there. An experiment, as I attempt to deal with the continuing onslaught of the cucumbers. Of course, I still have about half the last harvest, which I tried my best to give away.

596a7f6036cc2_cucumbers0715.jpg.b0132c14d96baa9355079ace816a0617.jpg

And I picked about twice that many today. I can't win. 

Tuesday I am going to a friend's house to pick figs. There is fig jam in my future.

Edited by kayb
to add ingredient in brine (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

@FrogPrincesse, those colors are glorious: summer in a jar.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

first try to make vermouth at home. let's keep fingers crossed. I used very plain flavours, just cinnamon and lemon rind besides white wine and brandy. warmwood and thyme as herbs and some sugar.

IMG_3193.JPG

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a big deal to anyone but me.  After not having enough tomatoes to can last summer, I got enough to do 3 quarts yesterday :)  Also my first time canning tomatoes in the pressure canner.  Why I waited so long to buy one of those is beyond me.  So much easier than using a water bath.  And the kitchen stays a bit cooler, too.

Unless, we get botulism and die that is.

5979fd54de801_photo265.JPG.2d121890df1228fcb9accdfb4f352e5b.JPG

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Unless, we get botulism and die that is.

5979fd54de801_photo265.JPG.2d121890df1228fcb9accdfb4f352e5b.JPG

Feeling cheery today, are we?

Nice looking tomatoes.  Did you grow these?  I was told at the farmers market last Saturday that we are still 2 weeks away from ripe local tomatoes.:sad:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Feeling cheery today, are we?

Nice looking tomatoes.  Did you grow these?  I was told at the farmers market last Saturday that we are still 2 weeks away from ripe local tomatoes.:sad:

Thank you!  Yes, these are ours from our garden. :) 

• Like 2