• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

typo

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

It turns out that two of the salsa jars didn't seal properly. I know I could have reprocessed them and maybe gotten them to seal, but I've simply put them in the refrigerator instead. We'll go through them quickly enough that I'm not worried about their going off.

That leads me to a question, however: with all the acid (vinegar) and the canning salt in this stuff, is there really a need to worry about it developing pathogens if it stays out of the refrigerator?

All I can tell you is that I have had commercial brands that got lost at the back of the fridge and developed mold. They had been opened, though. But if your jars aren't properly sealed then they are, in a way, already open, right?   🙂

I haven't canned my own salsa for several years, but didn't have any problems with unsealed jars or else I would have refrigerated them. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

It turns out that two of the salsa jars didn't seal properly. I know I could have reprocessed them and maybe gotten them to seal, but I've simply put them in the refrigerator instead. We'll go through them quickly enough that I'm not worried about their going off.

That leads me to a question, however: with all the acid (vinegar) and the canning salt in this stuff, is there really a need to worry about it developing pathogens if it stays out of the refrigerator?

All I can tell you is that I have had commercial brands that got lost at the back of the fridge and developed mold. They had been opened, though. But if your jars aren't probably sealed then they are, in a way, already open, right?   🙂

I haven't canned my own salsa for several years, but didn't have any problems with unsealed jars or else I would have refrigerated them.