• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Typo

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I took the multi-part preserving [webinar] course from University of Maine a few years ago, and the question I posted on the steam-canning day was:  why would anyone water-bath anything, ever?

The answer was:  for things that need longer water-bath-times than can be accomplished in a steam-canner.

I got it, immediately.  Specifically, I heard a charge:  go forth with steam, with everything that can be steamed.  

I don’t intend to can anything but this certainly piqued my curiosity. I have spent a couple of hours down steam-canning  rabbit holes.
From what I gather it is only recently that enough research has been done to prove this method is safe if done correctly. 
Doesn’t look to me as if steam canning of tomatoes is a doable option unless you’re adding a considerable amount of acid into the mix. Am I correct in this assumption?

(However, my admiration for @Shelbygrew by leaps and bounds as I watched a YouTube of someone canning tomatoes using other methods.) 

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I took the multi-part preserving [webinar] course from University of Maine a few years ago, and the question I posted on the steam-canning day was:  why would anyone water-bath anything, ever?

The answer was:  for things that need longer water-bath-times than can be accomplished in a steam-canner.

I got it, immediately.  Specifically, I heard a charge:  go forth with steam, with everything that can be steamed.  

I don’t intend to can anything but this certainly piqued my curiosity. I have spent a couple of hours down steam-canning  rabbit holes.
from what I gather it is only recently not enough research has been done to prove this method is safe if done correctly. 
Doesn’t look to me as if steam canning of tomatoes is a doable option unless you’re adding a considerable amount of acid into the mix. Am I correct in this assumption?

(However, my admiration for @Shelbygrew by leaps and bounds as I watched a YouTube of someone canning tomatoes using other methods.)