• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

On 8/14/2022 at 1:56 PM, FauxPas said:

I wish I had a steam canner sooner. It's SO MUCH easier than hot water bath.

I took the multi-part preserving [webinar] course from University of Maine a few years ago, and the question I posted on the steam-canning day was:  why would anyone water-bath anything, ever?

The answer was:  for things that need longer water-bath-times than can be accomplished in a steam-canner.

I got it, immediately.  Specifically, I heard a charge:  go forth with steam, with everything that can be steamed.  

SLB

SLB

On 8/14/2022 at 1:56 PM, FauxPas said:

I wish I had a steam canner sooner. It's SO MUCH easier than hot water bath.

I took the multi-part preserving [webinar] course from University of Maine a few years ago, and the question I posted on the steam-canning day was:  why would anyone water-bath anything ever.

The answer was:  for things that need longer water-bath-times than can be accomplished in a steam-canner.

I got it, immediately.  Specifically, I heard a charge:  go forth with steam, with everything that can be steamed.