• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

@HungryChris in 'da house:

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.7ed02defc5ada47c2d38fa3dd6cda4c1.JPG

You may be curious about that insanity passing for a lid.  It turns out I don't have any regular-mouth lids.  I have a lot of one-piece storage lids in general, so it never even occurred to me that I didn't have two free, tonight.  It turns out they are all In Service, every last one.  

Also --  that strange color is due to the fact that these are the Ball blue jars.  My random uptown hardware store had them, in fact they were the only jars around.  I don't usually pay extra for stuff like blue glass, but I did since it was my only option.  I believe this is called a win-win in capitalism.   

I am making a pile of winter hiking snacks involving apples; beyond that, I guess I'm not doing anything else preserve-ish until spring.  

On Edit:  WAIT! Saurkraut.  I was waiting for some kind of frost.  There may have been some frost up the Hudson Valley, so maybe next weekend I can get some saurkaut going.  Yes, kraut. 

SLB

SLB

You may be curious about that insanity passing for a lid.  It turns out I don't have any regular-mouth lids.  I have a lot of one-piece storage lids in general, so it never even occurred to me that I didn't have two free, tonight.  It turns out they are all In Service, every last one.  

Also --  that strange color is due to the fact that these are the Ball blue jars.  My random uptown hardware store had them, in fact they were the only jars around.  I don't usually pay extra for stuff like blue glass, but I did since it was my only option.  I believe this is called a win-win in capitalism.   

I am making a pile of winter hiking snacks involving apples; beyond that, I guess I'm not doing anything else preserve-ish until spring.  

SLB

SLB

I am making a pile of winter hiking snacks involving apples, and I guess I'm not doing anything else preserve-ish until spring.  

SLB

SLB

You may be curious about that insanity passing for a lid.  It turns out I don't have any regular-mouth lids.  I have a lot of one-piece storage lids, so it never even occurred to me that I didn't have two free, tonight.  

I am making a pile of winter hiking snacks involving apples, and I guess I'm not doing anything else preserve-ish until spring.