• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

ETA Amazon affiliate link for your clicking and Society-supporting convenience...

Not a huge pickle-eater but the grandkids are, and it's that time of the year, so I made up a couple of batches. Three pints of bread-and-butter and eight pints of a quick dill pickle, both from my dad's copy of The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving (this is my first time trying anything from the book, so no personal feedback, but 87% of the reviews on Amazon are 4- and 5-star).

Also I turned 6 lbs of IdaReds into slightly more than three pints of applesauce, one of which is now opened and in the fridge. Not shown, 400g of garlic scape pesto frozen in bags.

IMG_20200817_092136.thumb.jpg.127a9664a1662c6ce1e1beaefaf9ea64.jpg

IMG_20200817_092146.thumb.jpg.e5eaf24128fea6c9914d32109d41d908.jpg

Since I rarely post photos, I've included a gratuitous second shot to give you a look at the heart of my kitchen. This is my only meaningful prep area, with the sink just out of frame to the right and the stove just barely in frame at the lower left. The induction hob is a Kuraidori (basic cheap crap with a couple of extra features, but serviceable enough), which I use because the (24-inch) stove has three small burners and one medium. I do most of my cooking on the induction, as a consequence. The other side of the stove has a small piece of counter space, with another magnetic knife rack plus two tins holding utensils, a bottle each of vegetable oil and olive oil, my salt pig, pepper grinder and - at the moment - a dehydrator full of herbs from my community garden.

chromedome

chromedome

Not a huge pickle-eater but the grandkids are, and it's that time of the year, so I made up a couple of batches. Three pints of bread-and-butter and eight pints of a quick dill pickle, both from my dad's copy of The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving (this is my first time trying anything from the book, so no personal feedback, but 87% of the reviews on Amazon are 4- and 5-star).

Also I turned 6 lbs of IdaReds into slightly more than three pints of applesauce, one of which is now opened and in the fridge. Not shown, 400g of garlic scape pesto frozen in bags.

IMG_20200817_092136.thumb.jpg.127a9664a1662c6ce1e1beaefaf9ea64.jpg

IMG_20200817_092146.thumb.jpg.e5eaf24128fea6c9914d32109d41d908.jpg

Since I rarely post photos, I've included a gratuitous second shot to give you a look at the heart of my kitchen. This is my only meaningful prep area, with the sink just out of frame to the right and the stove just barely in frame at the lower left. The induction hob is a Kuraidori (basic cheap crap with a couple of extra features, but serviceable enough), which I use because the (24-inch) stove has three small burners and one medium. I do most of my cooking on the induction, as a consequence. The other side of the stove has a small piece of counter space, with another magnetic knife rack plus two tins holding utensils, a bottle each of vegetable oil and olive oil, my salt pig, pepper grinder and - at the moment - a dehydrator full of herbs from my community garden.