• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@heidih, links don't seem to work.

Just to be clear, ordinary glass can/cannot be heated in the same way a Bell or other canning jar can?

Sorry - are you not in the US? The Ball jars for instance come with specialed lids that seal. A classic high five is "oh the jars all popped" - sound when they seal as they cool. My jammy friend based on assurances just does the gass in dishwasher and boils the lids. My understanding is that ordinary glass like recycled from marmalade can be touchy.Here is a Ball jar. Aside from that there are numerous sites and books. Like foraging - be safe. 

heidih

heidih

Just now, TdeV said:

@heidih, links don't seem to work.

Just to be clear, ordinary glass can/cannot be heated in the same way a Bell or other canning jar can?

Sorry - are you not in the US? The Ball jars for instance come with specialed lids that seal. A classic high five is "oh the jars all popped" - sound when they seal as they cool. My jammy friend based on assurances just does the gass in dishwasher and boils the lids. My understanding is that ordinary glaa like recycled from marmalade can be touchy.Here is a Ball jar. Aside from that there are numerous sites and books. Like foraging - be safe.