• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Sterilizing virgin wants to know:   (Now I did sterilize my babies' milk bottles but that was more than 54 years ago)

I've never made anything and sterilized it in a mason jar.  Last year I made grape jelly and put all of it in the freezer.  This year I have been gifted with many small mason jars and lids and more wild grapes than anyone could dream of (next we have to de-vine our land or be taken over by the wild grapes) and am determined to do the right thing by it and give much away.  (If you live near east central Ontario, pm me and feel free to come and collect.)

I've read about sterilizing jars and lids in water and in the oven.  Which is the easiest and safest for an old novice klutz to use?   Thanks for any advice. 

I've done the pot method, but usually I just run them through the dishwasher and leave them in the rack until I'm ready to fill them. Jams, jellies and acidic stuff (tomatoes, pickles) can be water-bath canned and will be shelf-stable until opened. Highly recommend the Ball Big Book of Canning and Preserving for directions, etc., but quickly:

Run jars and rings through dishwasher cycle. Put flats in a small saucepan of water on the stove, bring to boil, and simmer 10 minutes or so. Fill clean jars with funnel; wipe rims with clean, damp towel, put flat on (there's a little magnet-on-a-stick tool that comes in a set with canning tongs, etc, that's ideal for this) add the ring, and finger tighten. Put on a rack in a water bath canner or big stock pot, fill with water to 1" above jar tops, and bring to a boil. Boil for at least 5 minutes, turn heat off and let cool. Remove jars from water with tongs, sit on  towel, and let cool. Lids will "pop" and that means they're sealed and shelf-stable. Press on the center of all the cooled lids to check; if any of them give and pop, stick that jar in the fridge and use it first.

You can also put the clean jars upside down on a cookie sheet covered with a wet towel and put it in the oven at about 200 for 15-20 minutes. Before filling, that is; I've never tried that with filled jars in lieu of water-bath canning.

Less acidic veggies and anything with meat needs pressure canning.

kayb

kayb

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Sterilizing virgin wants to know:   (Now I did sterilize my babies' milk bottles but that was more than 54 years ago)

I've never made anything and sterilized it in a mason jar.  Last year I made grape jelly and put all of it in the freezer.  This year I have been gifted with many small mason jars and lids and more wild grapes than anyone could dream of (next we have to de-vine our land or be taken over by the wild grapes) and am determined to do the right thing by it and give much away.  (If you live near east central Ontario, pm me and feel free to come and collect.)

I've read about sterilizing jars and lids in water and in the oven.  Which is the easiest and safest for an old novice klutz to use?   Thanks for any advice. 

I've done the pot method, but usually I just run them through the dishwasher and leave them in the rack until I'm ready to fill them. Jams, jellies and acidic stuff (tomatoes, pickles) can be water-bath canned and will be shelf-stable until opened. Highly recommend the Ball Big Book of Canning and Preserving for directions, etc., but quickly:

Run jars and rings through dishwasher cycle. Put flats in a small saucepan of water on the stove, bring to boil, and simmer 10 minutes or so. Fill clean jars with funnel; wipe rims with clean, damp towel, put flat on (there's a little magnet-on-a-stick tool that comes in a set with canning tongs, etc, that's ideal for this) add the ring, and finger tighten. Put on a rack in a water bath canner or big stock pot, fill with water to 1" above jar tops, and bring to a boil. Boil for at least 5 minutes, turn heat off and let cool. Remove jars from water with tongs, sit on  towel, and let cool. Lids will "pop" and that means they're sealed and shelf-stable. Press on the center of all the cooled lids to check; if any of them give and pop, stick that jar in the fridge and use it first.

You can also put the clean jars upside down on a cookie sheet covered with a wet towel and put it in the oven at about 200 for 15-20 minutes.