• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@HungryChris Looks perfect . What spices were in the brine?

For the brine, I use 1 1/2 cups of Morton Tender Quick, 6 cups of water. I inject the beef thoroughly to ensure distribution. I add 3 or 4 bay leaves, some mustard seed and a few peppercorns. Experience has taught me to let it go for 3 weeks to ensure no "pot roast" brown interior areas. I find the  brine  seasonings are far less effective than those in the cooking process. For that, I rinse off the tongue, just cover it with water in the IP, add a half cup of Crystal hot sauce, half cup of cider vinegar and 3 or 4 bay leaves and cook on high pressure for 90 minutes. As soon as the pressure drops enough to open the pot, I take it out (this time I put it in the snow on the deck) until I can bag the tongue and put it in the fridge to chill. It is a time consuming effort, but once you sample the result, worth every bit of it!!

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@HungryChris Looks perfect . What spices were in the brine?

For the brine, I use 1 1/2 cups of Morton Tender Quick, 6 cups of water. I inject the beef thoroughly to ensure distribution. I add 3 or 4 bay leaves, some mustard seed and a few peppercorns. Experience has taught me to let it go for 3 weeks to ensure no "pot roast" brown interior areas. I find the  brine  seasonings are far less effective than those in the cooking process. For that, I rinse off the tongue, just cover it with water in the IP, add a half cup of Crystal hot sauce, half cup of cider vinegar and 3 or 4 bay leaves and cook on high pressure for 90 minutes. As soon as the pressure drops enough to open the pot, I take it out (this time I put it in the snow on the deck) until I can bag the tongue and put it in the fridge to chill. It is a time consuming effort, but once you sample the result, worth all the effort!!

HC