• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Wayne

Wayne

31 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok jelly makers.  Did I miss a step?  How do you disperse the jalapeño throughout the jelly?   Or is this normal?  After the jars came out of the water bath I swirled them around but it made no difference.  

It took forever to de-seed and chop up 2 3/4 cups of jalapeños.  And I was nervous.  I'm a very new jelly maker.  But it set up nicely and it tastes really good.  I decided to skip the adding of the green food coloring.   Also, I was consulting two different recipes--that were ultimately the same.  I followed the directions precisely but they both said I would come out with 6 1/2 pints of jelly.  I got 3 with a bit in a 4th jar.  

Anyway, I have used up all those peppers so I'm happy.

PA051321.JPG

Hot pepper jellies are the only kind I make and I puree the de-stemmed peppers in a food processor or blender with liquid, leave it steep for awhile, strain through cheese cloth, then add the pepper 'tea' to your sugar as the recommended liquid component.

Works for me.

How did that Cowboy Candy work out? Like a hot pepper version of bread and butter pickles?

Wayne

Wayne

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok jelly makers.  Did I miss a step?  How do you disperse the jalapeño throughout the jelly?   Or is this normal?  After the jars came out of the water bath I swirled them around but it made no difference.  

It took forever to de-seed and chop up 2 3/4 cups of jalapeños.  And I was nervous.  I'm a very new jelly maker.  But it set up nicely and it tastes really good.  I decided to skip the adding of the green food coloring.   Also, I was consulting two different recipes--that were ultimately the same.  I followed the directions precisely but they both said I would come out with 6 1/2 pints of jelly.  I got 3 with a bit in a 4th jar.  

Anyway, I have used up all those peppers so I'm happy.

PA051321.JPG

Hot pepper jellies are the only kind I make and I puree the de-stemmed peppers in a food processor or blender with liquid, leave it steep for awhile, strain through cheese cloth, then add the pepper 'tea' to your sugar as the recommended liquid component.

Works for me.