• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@haresfur Wow you were persistent! Glad no lasting trauma. I've never worked with wild rose hips. I had a large garden once with 40 roses - cultivated/hybrid. I think I didn't let them hip so as to preserve energy. I know I tried to use some hips that escaped my pruning once but do not call drama - also do not recall any huge success. I was going to do a rose petal jelly once but it is so subtle a flavor I just left the petals for the tortoises and for potpourri. Oh I worked for a lauded rosarian once tnding her beds. Long sleeves, thick pants, gloves, do not scratch if you feel itch.

heidih

heidih

@haresfur Wow you were persistent! Glad no lasting trauma. I've never worked with wild rose hips. I had a large garden once with 40 roses - cultivated/hybrid. I think I didn't let them hip so as to preserve energy. I know I tried to use some hips that escaped my pruning once but do not call drama - also do not recall any huge success. I was going to do a rose petal jelly once but it is so subtle a flavor I just left the petals for the tortoises and for potpourri.