• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Ama

Today something light, healthy and easy to prepare - Millet groats breakfast 

Ingredients (for 2 people):
50g of millet flakes
300ml of coconut milk
3 tablespoons of xylitol
½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
3 apples
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds

the whole recipe is here

DSC_0658a.jpg

• Like 5

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

The cake baking thing is an exploratory experience for me, however, my newly found sweet tooth is very happy. Yesterday I made a yoghurt and walnut cake from the book "Crazy water, pickled lemons" by Diana Henry. The recipe involved a coffee, sugar and brandy syrup being poured over after baking. Directions to let it sit overnight were considered, but the sweet tooth won out....

IMG_3496.thumb.JPG.9c4104d527c3658c305887eeec1e82ca.JPGIMG_3497.thumb.JPG.d1031b6ff2e3654e40cfc308ceca2846.JPG

• Like 12

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

The cake baking thing is an exploratory experience for me, however, my newly found sweet tooth is very happy. Yesterday I made a yoghurt and walnut cake from the book "Crazy water, pickled lemons" by Diana Henry. The recipe involved a coffee, sugar and brandy syrup being poured over after baking. Directions to let it sit overnight were considered, but the sweet tooth won out....

Quite a coincidence!  I pulled out Crazy Water Pickled Lemons today and marked a couple of recipes to try.   Your cake looks lovely.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, ninagluck said:

Easter treats for everybody!

Awesome! I'll start watching my mailbox!

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I made a half recipe of the lemon & ricotta cake from Diana Henry's Simple.  The recipe is available online here.

After doing the appropriate geometry calculations, I determined a 6-inch springform pan would be pretty close to half the surface area of an 8-inch pan. I got distracted and feared it was way over-baked due to the browning but after cutting a slice, it's still very soft and moist inside. If I do it again, I may drop the oven temp a bit. I used limes instead of lemons because my lime tree is loaded with fruit. Served with blackberries, candied lime peel and a wee glass of homemade limoncello (also made from limes)

IMG_4928.thumb.jpg.d261013c7f24e10c14df0412211c77f2.jpg

Very nice and not too sweet!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

@David Ross,

I'm plan to try your lemon bars, which look wonderful. Assuming I use your recommended 9 x 9 pan, about how many servings do you think the recipe would make?  Thanks.

I'm not David but I did make his delicious squares.  I cut it in 9 pieces but that was too big, although we did manage to eat them.  I think 12 would be good.

16 hours ago, Jim D. said:

@David Ross,

I'm planning to try your lemon bars, which look wonderful. Assuming I use your recommended 9 x 9 pan, about how many servings do you think the recipe would make?  Thanks.

I made them again this weekend for Easter dinner, but I think I cut them too big.  I cut about 9 bars, but they are so rich I noticed folks take a few bites and stop.  I would recommend cutting it into 12 bars.

• Like 1

And along with a fresh berry on top of each bar, (I'm using raspberries right now), a nice dollop of whipped cream is great for a plated lemon bar.

• Like 1

Today the recipe for "Fluffy pancakes" which I use to prepare for my kids:

Ingredients:

200g of kefir
2 eggs
150g of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
half a teaspoon of baking soda
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoon of oil

The whole recipe is here

DSC_029ba.jpg

DSC_0290b.jpg

• Like 9

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

My annual Easter cakes! One of them also served as a birthday cake - that one is a double egg surrounded by edible grass! Strawberry and green apple flavors - it was determined that it tastes like those little penny candy space ships we used to eat as kids or communion wafers....!

thanks for looking!

Ruth

eastercake1.jpg

eastercake2.jpg

Host's note: this topic grew too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so it has been split.  Click here for the next segment.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 12