• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Ama

@shain

Don't let @liuzhou drag you over to the dark side. Banana bread and cheddar.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made a variation of Pierre Herme's Tart Infiniment Vanille. This is basically faithful to Herme's recipe, except: 1) I did not include a variety of vanilla beans, just Madagascar beans, 2) I  molded the top in hemisphere molds instead of in tart rings, 3) I used a gelatin-thickened vanilla mirror glaze rather than Herme's NH pectin-thickened glaze, and 4) I used a little more white chocolate in the ganache to compensate for the fact that I was using a chocolate with a lower percentage of cocoa butter (otherwise the ganache would have been too thin). From bottom to top are: pate sucre shell, ladyfinger cake brushed with vanilla syrup, vanilla bean infused white chocolate ganache, dome of mascarpone and creme anglaise, vanilla glacage mirroir. 

Next, I want to try the Infiniment Cafe tart.

row.jpg

cut.jpg

base.jpg

shellprebake.jpg

• Like 18

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

11 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@rarerollingobject   What must one do in order to become one of your very lucky, blessed colleagues???!!!!! :D   That is a work of art!  (Calories too, but who cares about those silly things, right?) 

I say colleagues, but I actually bake for the team I manage as a form of enslavement! To become one of them, all I want is your soul, your every waking moment, every ounce of energy and every flicker of the fire in your belly that you have, every shred of effort and endeavour and moral fibre and momentum...and for our every meeting to last no more than 15 minutes max, because talking about work is not work. ;)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

and for our every meeting to last no more than 15 minutes max, because talking about work is not work

I wish my manager understood that.

"Why didn't you get <x> done today?"

"Because you kept me in a meeting for 90 minutes?"

Edited by keychris (log)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, keychris said:

I wish my manager understood that.

"Why didn't you get <x> done today?"

"Because you kept me in a meeting for 90 minutes?"

That.

In my younger days I was a retail store manager. District office shared space with the Western regional office, which meant that the Regional Manager was there as well as the District Manager. Once a month, we trooped in for a DM's meeting. These ordinarily lasted two hours, and during the entire two hours we dreaded the sound of the door opening. If we were lucky, it was just the district secretary calling a manager to the phone. If we were unlucky, it was the Regional Manager poking his nose in to say "When you're done, Don, if I could just have a word with the troops for a moment?"

The Regional Manager was a nice enough guy, but that meant you weren't going to be home for dinner. This was a man who could take 20 minutes just to tell you what time it was, so when he actually had a point or policy he wanted to convey it was excruciating. Typically his "few minutes" translated to anything from 90 minutes to 2 hours on top of the scheduled 2 hour meeting. Ugh.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, RobertM said:

Not very exciting, but it was very tasty.   German Chocolate Cake for my wife's birthday

IMG_5283.JPG

Looks pretty exciting to me. I'd be happy to have that sitting on my kitchen table right now... of course, it'd be missing a big slice.

Edit: see what you've done, I've made a note to make one of these Saturday. I wasn't planning a dessert for Sunday's Super Bowl menu... but now I am.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

When @JohnT sends a delicious carrot cake recipe from across the pond, and @Patrick S posts a brilliant recipe with sour cream in the cream cheese icing..... this is what happens: (The cake was already done when Patrick posted, so I did the icing- because it sounded too good to resist!) 

IMG_1466.JPG

• Like 16

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

And....knowing full well that my father in law is the birthday boy tomorrow....and not everyone loves carrot cake like he does, I made a Key Lime Cake, with Key Lime icing to appease the non-carrot cake people.   It was supposed to be Ina Garten's lemon cake, but, I'd forgotten which home the lemons were at and when it came time to make the cakes...the lemons were in the wrong place. So, I pulled the limes out of my workshop and improvised. Glad that I did, because that icing is nothing short of addictive, delicious, and did I mention addictive?  The sweetness can be overwhelming, so a pinch of tartaric acid took care of that in a jiffy. 

IMG_1468.JPG

• Like 16

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, trisme11 said:

@Patrick S How thick are you rolling out your dough for the tart shells?

4mm exactly. A little too thick,  I'm going to 2mm next time. 

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

18 hours ago, Patrick S said:

4mm exactly. A little too thick,  I'm going to 2mm next time. 

Thank you. I love the look of it. I remember making this tart in school and loving it!

Is there a reason why you used a gelatin thickened glaze as opposed to the Pectin NH?

5 minutes ago, trisme11 said:

Thank you. I love the look of it. I remember making this tart in school and loving it!

Is there a reason why you used a gelatin thickened glaze as opposed to the Pectin NH?

Only because I make mirror glaze in large batches and had it on hand, and I didn't want to shell out for the NH Pectin. 

photo 2.JPG

Cinnamon rolls.  One pan for us (which needs to go directly into the freezer or I am going to gorge) and one for the two gentleman painters that are here painting my bedroom and bathroom.  I heard some banging the other day that wasn't coming from the construction zone overhead.  When I peeked into the front room I found them fixing my front door latch.  So nice of them.  They did it all on their own just to be kind.  

• Like 17

On 1/31/2017 at 2:51 PM, ChocoMom said:

I made a Key Lime Cake, with Key Lime icing to appease the non-carrot cake people.   It was supposed to be Ina Garten's lemon cake, but, I'd forgotten which home the lemons were at and when it came time to make the cakes...the lemons were in the wrong place. So, I pulled the limes out of my workshop and improvised....

I'm not sure which Ina Garten lemon cake @ChocoMom had planned when she made her detour into key limes but Google led me to a recipe for Ina Garten's Lemon Cake.  I also used limes, because I have many, many of them and made 5 little loaf cakes, 4 of which are safely in the freezer.

IMG_4413.jpg

• Like 11

On 02/02/2017 at 8:56 AM, Patrick S said:

Only because I make mirror glaze in large batches and had it on hand, and I didn't want to shell out for the NH Pectin. 

I've been on the hunt for a mirror glaze recipe for a while, any chance you could share one :D

Edit: "on the hunt" really means... vaguely looking every now and then :P

Edited by keychris (log)

4 hours ago, keychris said:

I've been on the hunt for a mirror glaze recipe for a while, any chance you could share one :D

Edit: "on the hunt" really means... vaguely looking every now and then :P

Sure. There are plenty of variations online that work great. Here's one from Reddit that I've used.

20 g Gelatin Powder

120 g Cold Water

300 g Glucose

300 g Sugar

150 g Water

200 g Sweetened Condensed Milk

300 g Chocolate

Bloom the gelatin in the first quantity of cold water for 5 or more minute, then gently heat in microwave until melted.

Combine the glucose, sugar and second quantity of water in medium pan, and bring to boil. Take of the heat and add the gelatin mass and the sweetened condensed milk.

Pour over the chocolate, and let sit for a couple of minutes. Blend well with an immersion blender to smooth it out. For a white color, add some titanium dioxide. For other colors, use a fat soluble coloring. Be careful not to incorporate air. Cool to 90-95F before using.

This recipe makes almost 1.5 kilos. This freezes well. I store portions in vacuum bags, and reheat to about 100F in a sous vide bath or a pot of hot water, taking it out and squishing it to get the temperature homogeneous. If you get air bubbles in it when you reheat, just hit it with the immersion blender again.

I've used the recipe below for a salted caramel mirror glaze, which worked fine.

https://www.chefiso.com/p/caramel-glacage-glaze-recipe

• Like 3

We celebrated our daughter’s birthday on Saturday.  We ended up with 3 desserts.  Jessica wanted Bananas Foster Cheesecake.  I figured that not everyone likes cheesecake or bananas, so I decided to make a “cream” filled chocolate Angel food cake.  And then one of her friends made a carrot cake for her.  The cheesecake:

DSCN6344.JPG

Slice with sauce:

DSCN6357.JPG

The angel food cake:

DSCN6329.JPG

With sloppy ganache.  Tasted great, though.  Slice showing filling:

DSCN6347.JPG

Other than the ganache (which I’ve made before) this was a total gamble.  I had an idea what I wanted to do, so I found the cake recipe on Tasteofhome.com and then searched for a non-dairy ‘cream’ filling, since I didn’t want to refrigerate the cake.  The recipe came from topsecretrecipes.com and consisted of marshmallow crème, shortening, 10X, vanilla and salt.  I put the filling in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and just started piping it in the top and sides.  Every slice came out with a nice blob, so I guess I did fine! 

The carrot cake was a bit of a mess to look at, but very good:

DSCN6343.JPG

It was her very first cake ever.  Her boyfriend is a local line cook and said he gave her only basic hints.  We were all impressed!

• Like 16

On 1/31/2017 at 3:45 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Looks pretty exciting to me. I'd be happy to have that sitting on my kitchen table right now... of course, it'd be missing a big slice.

Edit: see what you've done, I've made a note to make one of these Saturday. I wasn't planning a dessert for Sunday's Super Bowl menu... but now I am.

Then, my work here is done!  

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 2