Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ama

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Recommended Posts

@pjm333 To keep with the filled triangles theme:
 

Crisp buttery phyllo filled with (lightly salty) feta, drizzled with honey.

20170225_200848.thumb.jpg.c601b1d3f10de0310e88c09b70aedb5e.jpg

  • Like 12

~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Purim, and I didn't feel like making hamantashen, so instead I made "pressburger cakes". Two small ones, the first filled with poppy seeds, the other with walnuts and a little hazelnuts. Both cake's fillings contained some brandy, butter, some apricot jam, and milk. 

 

Pressburger cakes as they are called in Israel, are most similar to the Hungarian Beigli or crescent shaped Pozsonyi kifli (Pozsony is a Slovakian city called Pressburg in German). The dough is yeast risen, but has a texture somewhat similar to that of a pastry. The only filling found in those cakes in Israel is the poppy one, but I remember the ones I had abroad and tried to replicate the flavor.

 

20170310_201118.jpg.2bc48f77da2c9063ff55d61f54eeb0c0.jpg20170310_200804.jpg.c7ba0333e9f5b30bb94761f6608ee368.jpg

 

And on the subject of hamantashen, or as they called in Hebrew - Oznei Haman, literally "ears of Haman". The way this name came to be is quite funny. Hamantashen comes from mohn taschen, which is German for poppy seed pockets. One can imagine how an Hebrew speaker might relate the name to Haman (intentionally, or not).

  • Like 15

~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, shain said:

It's Purim, and I didn't feel like making hamantashen, so instead I made "pressburger cakes". Two small ones, the first filled with poppy seeds, the other with walnuts and a little hazelnuts. Both cake's fillings contained some brandy, butter, some apricot jam, and milk. 

 

Pressburger cakes as they are called in Israel, are most similar to the Hungarian Beigli or crescent shaped Pozsonyi kifli (Pozsony is a Slovakian city called Pressburg in German). The dough is yeast risen, but has a texture somewhat similar to that of a pastry. The only filling found in those cakes in Israel is the poppy one, but I remember the ones I had abroad and tried to replicate the flavor.

 

20170310_201118.jpg.2bc48f77da2c9063ff55d61f54eeb0c0.jpg20170310_200804.jpg.c7ba0333e9f5b30bb94761f6608ee368.jpg

 

And on the subject of hamantashen, or as they called in Hebrew - Oznei Haman, literally "ears of Haman". The way this name came to be is quite funny. Hamantashen comes from mohn taschen, which is German for poppy seed pockets. One can imagine how an Hebrew speaker might relate the name to Haman (intentionally, or not).

They really look amazing...!!!!  :):)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haman was a wicked wicked man, and those look wicked good. Any pastry filled with mohn is in my wheelhouse. I grew up a half block from Lichtman's Hungarian Bakery in NY (and around the corner from Barney Greengrass deli). I'm surprised everyone in my family didn't look like blimps. Lichtman's made a roll that was slightly rectangular, and they sold stale slices that I think they must have pre-toasted and you could then pop them in your own toaster and eat them hot, slathered with butter. The only thing better than mohn filling was toasted mohn filling. That really was the most fabulous bakery. Long gone.

 

Spell check kept trying to correct my description to "moon filling!" Clearly spell check didn't grow up on the upper west side.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2017 at 7:05 PM, cakewalk said:

Hamantaschen season is starting. Just a head's up. My go-to recipe for the dough (I've never made her fillings):

http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes/desserts/hamantaschen.html

 

For me it's all about the dough. I fill with good jam or with Nutella. If the cookie part isn't good, I don't care how good the filling is, I just lose interest. I used this dough recipe for the first time several years ago, and everyone commented on it. They're best on the day they're baked, but still good the next day. In truth, they've always been good, but never quite as good as they were that first time. Just one of those indefinable mysteries of baking. Maybe I baked them for 30 seconds more, or 30 seconds less, who knows? But this is still my go-to recipe.

Hamantaschen. (Or oznei haman.) On the left is vanilla flavored dough with blackberry jam, on the right is orange flavored dough with apricot jam. The dough came out great, nice and crunchy.

hamantaschen1.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I "converted" my Peach cream cheese pie to a Strawberries and cream pie.

 

I cut up strawberries until I had 4 cups in a Pyrex measure, sprinkling them with 1/4 cup of sugar.

I microwaved them for 5 minutes, left them to cool for 30 minutes then placed a sieve in another measure and dumped the strawberries into the sieve.

I placed this in the fridge overnight so they would drain completely without any pressure - I wanted the chunks to stay intact.

 

I used a store-bought 10" graham cracker crust.

 

I beat the cream cheese, sour cream and heavy cream together till smooth  added the strawberry liquid and the other ingredients the same as in the peach recipe.

I did add an extra tablespoon of the Instant Clear Gel because there was more liquid from the strawberries than from the peaches - and this one was not going to be baked.

I folded in the strawberries, piled it into the crust - I had less than a cup left over, it was a snack.

Then put the pie into the fridge for 4 hours.

Looks good, tastes good, not too sweet, nice texture.  I did not try to make the top "fancy" but one could do some swirls.

 

This would also work great with one of the chocolate cookie crumb shell and with chocolate shavings on top would be very attractive.

58c6a637772a8_ScreenShot2017-03-13at6_46_24AM.png.e3122be4e566359c7a3da0c3ba0f18fd.png

  • Like 10

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Franci, could you tell us more about those cookies, and possibly even share the recipe? Are they a sugar cookie, or do they have any additional flavoring? I love how cookies made with ammonium carbonate get so crisp.


MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MelissaH I think these cookies might be called sugar cookies. Do you call them sugar cookies because they are then glazed? Eh, eh, I admit, I'm still lacking in my proper English/American baking vocabulary :). I guess these cookies would be very nice glazed. I made them simple for the kids, I need some of them to use in another dessert, hopefully I'll post in a few days. I llike them like this, unglazed,  with no extra flavoring.

500 g flour, 150 g sugar, 100g soft butter, 8 g (2 scant tsp) ammonium carbonate, 2 eggs plus 1 yolk, 2 tablespoon scalded milk, a pinch of salt.

Make a well in  the sifted flour  and in the center work the softened butter, the sugar, with the eggs, plus yolk, add a pinch of salt. Dissolve the baking ammonia in the scalded milk and add to the rest of the ingredients. If necessary just add a drop more of milk and work briely until the dough just holds together. Roll to 3 mm (1/8 inch) and cut into preferred shapes. Brush with egg white, left over from the dough, and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350, then rotate the trays and keep the door ajar so the ammonium can escape and keep baking for other 8-10 minutes. Total baking time 16-20 minutes. I didn't count the cookies but baked 4 half sheet pans. They keep for long time too. 


Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We like simple, ease to prepare and nice looking desserts. There are certain combinations which always hold good. There are dishes which save us when surprise guests drop in. Chocolate mousse with raspberries, which always turns out well, doesn't need many sophisticated ingredients and you can make it with different kinds of fruit.

 

Ingredients (for two people):

150g of raspberries

1 teaspoon of caster sugar

100g of mascarpone cheese

100g of natural yoghurt

75g of dark chocolate

a few leaves of peppermint

 

Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and leave it to cool down slightly. Whip the mascarpone cheese and natural yoghurt to make a fluffy mass. Mix it in with the chocolate. Set aside a few of the most beautiful raspberries, and crush the rest with a fork. If they are too sour, add caster sugar and mix it in. Apply the raspberry mousse and then the chocolate mousse to a cup. Decorate the top of the dessert with the raspberries and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

 

recipe on the blog

DSC_0245.jpg

  • Like 8

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@andiesenji  – I loved the idea of the peach cream pie, but that strawberry version is spectacular!  Strawberries are my favorite fruit.  I’m going to give that a try when we get some good ones.  Thank you!

 

@Kasia – the chocolate mousse looks lovely!  I am intrigued by the idea of mascarpone and yogurt instead of cream!  I’ve copied the recipe to try.  We LOVE chocolate mousse.  Do you think that the same method would work with a fruit mousse instead of chocolate?

 

This was just a cake mix fix-up idea that I got from the Food Network show “The Kitchen”.  They did a chocolate cake mix banana bread with peanut butter chips and a peanut butter glaze.  I’ll be trying that one, too, but this time decided to do Strawberry-Bananan bread with a strawberry glaze:

DSCN6471.JPG.1f65e46c226ec3e105f76b16152d8aef.JPG

 

DSCN6472.JPG.7364dc851138a7c01b28de6841cf8ea6.JPG

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM, andiesenji said:

I "converted" my Peach cream cheese pie to a Strawberries and cream pie.

 

I cut up strawberries until I had 4 cups in a Pyrex measure, sprinkling them with 1/4 cup of sugar.

I microwaved them for 5 minutes, left them to cool for 30 minutes then placed a sieve in another measure and dumped the strawberries into the sieve.

I placed this in the fridge overnight so they would drain completely without any pressure - I wanted the chunks to stay intact.

 

I used a store-bought 10" graham cracker crust.

 

I beat the cream cheese, sour cream and heavy cream together till smooth  added the strawberry liquid and the other ingredients the same as in the peach recipe.

I did add an extra tablespoon of the Instant Clear Gel because there was more liquid from the strawberries than from the peaches - and this one was not going to be baked.

I folded in the strawberries, piled it into the crust - I had less than a cup left over, it was a snack.

Then put the pie into the fridge for 4 hours.

Looks good, tastes good, not too sweet, nice texture.  I did not try to make the top "fancy" but one could do some swirls.

 

This would also work great with one of the chocolate cookie crumb shell and with chocolate shavings on top would be very attractive.

58c6a637772a8_ScreenShot2017-03-13at6_46_24AM.png.e3122be4e566359c7a3da0c3ba0f18fd.png

 

This is so beautiful!!! I LOVE the pink!  

I have to ask....did you make this to celebrate Pi Day? 

And on that note, a very happy Pi day to all!    xD

  • Like 5

-Andrea

 

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

 the chocolate mousse looks lovely!  I am intrigued by the idea of mascarpone and yogurt instead of cream!  I’ve copied the recipe
to try. We LOVE chocolate mousse.  Do you think that the same method would work with a fruit mousse instead of chocolate

 

 

Dear Kim - I have never done that but I think you should try.

 

Quote

 

 

  • Like 1

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, here the dessert I was thinking of making with the cookies of the other day.

 

My biggest clients are butchers and delis, so I had the idea of selling for them a classic, childhood snack, very popular in Italy growing up. I tried this recipe that differently than the usual doesn't have eggs but I really dislike it. I am going to test other recipes until I'm happy with it and definitely use eggs, pasteurized. 

 

Chocolate salame

 

58c8662ec0f89_salame1.JPG.1cf2b071060660a8d260a156be0c4c88.JPG

 

 

58c866304e004_salame2.JPG.ddaa3d962c6761ab4b3444ff948d60cd.JPG

58c866312b7f3_salame3.JPG.b56a20e8f046e3d343f98fa8c6f4aeeb.JPG

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Franci said:

So, here the dessert I was thinking of making with the cookies of the other day.

 

My biggest clients are butchers and delis, so I had the idea of selling for them a classic, childhood snack, very popular in Italy growing up. I tried this recipe that differently than the usual doesn't have eggs but I really dislike it. I am going to test other recipes until I'm happy with it and definitely use eggs, pasteurized. 

 

Chocolate salame

 

58c8662ec0f89_salame1.JPG.1cf2b071060660a8d260a156be0c4c88.JPG

 

 

58c866304e004_salame2.JPG.ddaa3d962c6761ab4b3444ff948d60cd.JPG

58c866312b7f3_salame3.JPG.b56a20e8f046e3d343f98fa8c6f4aeeb.JPG

 

Looks lovely - here's the recipe I use

 

Chocolate Salami

Recipe By: The British Larder

Ingredients:

80 g unsalted butter
200 g bitter chocolate, 70%
100 g icing sugar
200 g digestive biscuits
80 g flaked almonds
80 g dried cranberries
80 g pistachios
2 egg yolks
80 g Port Wine
2 ml vanilla essence
80 g Condensed milk
Pinch of salt
Cocoa powder

Directions:

Crush the Biscuits into small pieces, but not crumbs. Add the almonds, cranberries and pistachios and sprinkle half of the port wine over the mixture, set aside. Put the chocolate and butter in a metal bowl, place over a pot of boiling water, allow to melt. Once the chocolate is melted add the icing sugar, salt, egg yolks, the rest of the port wine, vanilla and the condensed milk, mix well and continue cooking over the bain-marie for a further 4 minutes to cook the eggs, stir regularly. Add the biscuit mixture. Mix well. Let the mixture cool for 10 - 15 minute, as it starts to thicken and it's easier to work with. Shape in to a salami shape with a double layer of cling film. Let the salami set in the fridge. Remove the cling film and then roll the salami in cocoa powder. Its now ready to serve and I like to wrap it again in the paper and tie it with string to mimic a classic salami. 


Thermomix Method Crush the Biscuits into small pieces, but not crumbs. Add the almonds, cranberries and pistachios and sprinkle half of the port wine over the mixture, set aside. Melt the butter for 2 minutes at 50°C speed two. Add the chocolate and melt for 3 minutes at 50°C speed 2. Add the egg, salt, icing sugar, condensed milk, vanilla and the rest of the Port wine and set the timer for 6 minutes at 50°C speed 2. Let the mixture cool for 10 - 15 minutes before you mix it with the biscuit mixture, continue making the salami as above. Makes 2 x 420g chocolate salami's Food Fanatics Tip Remove the salami at least one hour before serving from the fridge. This is a great item to serve as a petit four with coffee. Let the guests cut their own slice, somewhat unusual but a great talking point! Also makes a great home made present.


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2017 at 10:25 AM, ChocoMom said:

 

This is so beautiful!!! I LOVE the pink!  

I have to ask....did you make this to celebrate Pi Day? 

And on that note, a very happy Pi day to all!    xD

Yes. I did it partly for Pi day and partly because I had a half flat of strawberries to use up.  The "Strawberry man" who comes around periodically, showed up on Saturday with a half flat (6 baskets) of ripe strawberries. He apologized that because of a lot of crop loss this past winter when they had some hard freezes and also some flooding, they had to raise the price to $10.00 (was $8.00 last year).

I had some as is Saturday evening but needed to do something with the rest on Sunday.  

Some I hulled and bagged and put in the freezer and decided to do the pie with most of the rest.

I already had the rest of the ingredients.  I had made a batch of sour cream on Friday and had plenty of cream cheese left from the batch I had made the previous weekend.  

I tried it out on three of my neighbors and they were very enthusiastic about it because it doesn't need to be baked, uses a prepared crust and the only "cooking" is in the microwave.  

I printed out the recipe for them and one says she wants to try a strawberry-banana version. Apparently her grandmother used to make a "cheesecake" that had a similar base but she never was able to get the recipe.  

She is going to borrow one of my springform pans for her experiment - she said the way her grandma made it the thing was about 3 inches thick and had a cookie crumb crust, not graham cracker.  I gave her my recipe for a vanilla cookie crust.

There are probably plenty of options, the base could probably be mixed with any fruit. 

 

I FORGOT TO STATE - I LEFT THE SPICES OUT OF THE STRAWBERRY VERSION!! 


Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kerry Beal,

 I remember making that chocolate salami!   Seems to me it was some years ago when I had the patience for such things.  @Franci's  looks way better than I remember mine looking. 

  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Franci Wow, I haven't had a chocolate salami in so many years!

@LePetitPrince Those look lovely. Did you bake them in a mold? Care to explain how they differ from the familiar macaroons?


~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shain said:

@Franci Wow, I haven't had a chocolate salami in so many years!

@LePetitPrince Those look lovely. Did you bake them in a mold? Care to explain how they differ from the familiar macaroons?

 

The "batter" is molded by hand and baked in the oven at 180 degrees celsius. 

 

Eggs, finely graded coconut, suger and marcipan (and a little bit of lime). Mix and mold by hand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I would like to show you the tart which you may prepare with almost all season fruit. In Poland I use to make it with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, currants or goosberries. The advantage of this cake is the whole wheat flour. Thanks to it the texture is very interesting. It is one of my favourite summer cakes 

 

Ingredients:


dough:
250g of whole wheat flour
75g of caster sugar
a pinch of salt
150g of butter
1 egg
filling:
400g of blueberries
100g of red currants
100g of gooseberries
3 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of starch
5 tablespoons of sugar

 

the whole recipe is here

DSC_2825a.jpg

DSC_2831a.jpg


Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 10

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...