Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)


Ama
 Share

Recommended Posts

Peach and Cream Cheese pie.  

I decided I wanted a peach pie, but not just fruit. I wanted something that would stand on its own and not need a topping. 

I also wanted to use canned peaches.  For once, I wrote everything down as I progressed.  And it worked!

I didn't make my own pie dough because I had purchased several frozen ones when I got some coupons - buy one pack (2 shells) get one free - back in December.  I used Instant Clear Gel because I like it - you can use whatever you like but this works best for this type of pie filling, needs no cooking before baking.

 

PEACH CREAM CHEESE PIE   with  CANNED PEACHES

An Original Recipe by Andie Paysinger

9 inch DEEP DISH pie shell  - frozen.  You can make your own if you wish.

Takes 4 hours, start to finish - when it is ready to serve, assuming you have all the ingredients ready.

DO NOT RUSH it!  

Filling

1 large can sliced peaches  

1 8-ounce package cream cheese

8 Ounces sour cream

8 Ounces heavy cream

3 Tablespoons lemon juice

2 Teaspoons  vanilla extract

1/2 cup sugar

5 Tablespoons Instant Clear Gel

1 Teaspoon salt

1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon

Zest of one lemon - about a tablespoon

 

PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 375° F.

METHOD:

Drain the peach liquid into a large mixing bowl  or mixer bowl.  Set the sliced peaches aside.

Add the cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream and lemon juice.

BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH, NO LUMPS.

Add the vanilla extract and beat until fully mixed.

In a small bowl,  Mix the sugar, Instant Clear Jel, salt and spices, lemon zest 

stir till well blended.

Add the dry mix to the cream cheese mix and beat well.

IT WILL THICKEN ALMOST IMMEDIATELY

Fold in the the sliced peaches.

Place the pie pan on a baking sheet.   Pile in the filling, it will be thick and it is best to use a silicone spatula

to push it into the corners.

Pile it high so it is rounded and well above the sides - the filing will shrink a bit as it bakes.  It will look like there is too much filling but be brave, it works.

It jells rapidly so there is no need to worry about it running over - but it will be jiggly when it comes out of the 

oven, which is why it needs to be on a baking sheet.

Place it in the center of the preheated oven.

Bake for 45 minutes.  It should be lightly browned on top.  It will jiggle in the middle.

Remove from oven and set the baking sheet on a cooling rack - leave for 40 minutes.

Move pie pan from the baking sheet to the cooling rack - allow to cool for an hour.

Then into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.   Then serve.   This pie does not require any topping!

HPIM9748.thumb.jpg.ac3169cdc22bb7bf7d4caa09190f5801.jpg

HPIM9750.jpg.b739954ae43f9e5abbe5a571bfb5c61e.jpg

HPIM9756.jpg.a2691eb65f94da25e4cb559a2d424413.jpg

HPIM9755.thumb.jpg.11fbfc16836c2be35320630e9d76299d.jpg

 

  • Like 13

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Peach and Cream Cheese pie.  

I decided I wanted a peach pie, but not just fruit. I wanted something that would stand on its own and not need a topping. 

I also wanted to use canned peaches.  For once, I wrote everything down as I progressed.  And it worked!

I didn't make my own pie dough because I had purchased several frozen ones when I got some coupons - buy one pack (2 shells) get one free - back in December.  I used Instant Clear Gel because I like it - you can use whatever you like but this works best for this type of pie filling, needs no cooking before baking.

 

PEACH CREAM CHEESE PIE   with  CANNED PEACHES

An Original Recipe by Andie Paysinger

9 inch DEEP DISH pie shell  - frozen.  You can make your own if you wish.

Takes 4 hours, start to finish - when it is ready to serve, assuming you have all the ingredients ready.

DO NOT RUSH it!  

Filling

1 large can sliced peaches  

1 8-ounce package cream cheese

8 Ounces sour cream

8 Ounces heavy cream

3 Tablespoons lemon juice

2 Teaspoons  vanilla extract

1/2 cup sugar

5 Tablespoons Instant Clear Gel

1 Teaspoon salt

1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon

Zest of one lemon - about a tablespoon

 

PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 375° F.

METHOD:

Drain the peach liquid into a large mixing bowl  or mixer bowl.  Set the sliced peaches aside.

Add the cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream and lemon juice.

BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH, NO LUMPS.

Add the vanilla extract and beat until fully mixed.

In a small bowl,  Mix the sugar, Instant Clear Jel, salt and spices, lemon zest 

stir till well blended.

Add the dry mix to the cream cheese mix and beat well.

IT WILL THICKEN ALMOST IMMEDIATELY

Fold in the the sliced peaches.

Place the pie pan on a baking sheet.   Pile in the filling, it will be thick and it is best to use a silicone spatula

to push it into the corners.

Pile it high so it is rounded and well above the sides - the filing will shrink a bit as it bakes.  It will look like there is too much filling but be brave, it works.

It jells rapidly so there is no need to worry about it running over - but it will be jiggly when it comes out of the 

oven, which is why it needs to be on a baking sheet.

Place it in the center of the preheated oven.

Bake for 45 minutes.  It should be lightly browned on top.  It will jiggle in the middle.

Remove from oven and set the baking sheet on a cooling rack - leave for 40 minutes.

Move pie pan from the baking sheet to the cooling rack - allow to cool for an hour.

Then into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.   Then serve.   This pie does not require any topping!

HPIM9748.thumb.jpg.ac3169cdc22bb7bf7d4caa09190f5801.jpg

HPIM9750.jpg.b739954ae43f9e5abbe5a571bfb5c61e.jpg

HPIM9756.jpg.a2691eb65f94da25e4cb559a2d424413.jpg

HPIM9755.thumb.jpg.11fbfc16836c2be35320630e9d76299d.jpg

 

Definitely on my list to make, Andie.  Thank you so much for sharing it.  I canned quarts of peaches last summer.  This will be a perfect way to use some of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Peach and Cream Cheese pie.  

I decided I wanted a peach pie, but not just fruit. I wanted something that would stand on its own and not need a topping. 

I also wanted to use canned peaches.  For once, I wrote everything down as I progressed.  And it worked!

I didn't make my own pie dough because I had purchased several frozen ones when I got some coupons - buy one pack (2 shells) get one free - back in December.  I used Instant Clear Gel because I like it - you can use whatever you like but this works best for this type of pie filling, needs no cooking before baking.

 

 

Sounds yummy!  But I have to ask, what does baking do for the pie?  If the clear jell thickens pretty immediately, and there are no eggs or starch to be cooked, could you pile the filling into a pre-baked pie shell and call it good?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phyllo sheets, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sugar. Shaped into a cup and baked until crisp. Filled with lightly sweetened ricotta and minced strawberries, vanilla and a little pepper. Topped with chopped pistachios and served warm.

20170218_204118.thumb.jpg.516356eb630e845d3a1685523a049fdd.jpg20170218_203844.thumb.jpg.d0fc1298634c3b1f35afe776415ee02f.jpg20170218_204051.thumb.jpg.5c0671509b3374821ad8e7c55b5ff802.jpg

  • Like 13

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

 

Sounds yummy!  But I have to ask, what does baking do for the pie?  If the clear jell thickens pretty immediately, and there are no eggs or starch to be cooked, could you pile the filling into a pre-baked pie shell and call it good?

Not if you want a cohesive and pretty result.

You can use the filling as pudding, in cute cups or stemmed dishes but it is not the same.  The peaches develop a richer flavor.

 

  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Dolly bar cookies, also known as "Sin In A Sheet Pan."

 

58a905c9cd219_hellodolly.jpg.3507ae6fc1f63b90a410f521f7e45d60.jpg

 

I added salted caramel chips to the top, expecting them to melt in the oven; they didn't. Will put them underneath, with the chocolate ones, next time.

  • Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Hello Dolly bar cookies, also known as "Sin In A Sheet Pan."

 

58a905c9cd219_hellodolly.jpg.3507ae6fc1f63b90a410f521f7e45d60.jpg

 

I added salted caramel chips to the top, expecting them to melt in the oven; they didn't. Will put them underneath, with the chocolate ones, next time.

Hello Calorie Squares in my world!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things I have baked today; GIGANTIC, 15 cm wide, highly indelicate chocolate chunk cookies (with beurre noisette and all that Valrhona, after 'curing' the cookie dough part in the fridge for 36 hours to deepen the sugars/caramelised toffee flavours and to better hydrate the flour for a more tender crumb).

 

And their diametrical opposite baked good; delicate shattery lacey pecan florentines, sandwiched together with egg nog buttercream, redolent with fresh nutmeg and Vietnamese cinnamon, and a healthy slug of dark rum. 

IMG_2526.thumb.JPG.f0774a18750c7c06dac4ea861a7ee383.JPG

IMG_2525.thumb.JPG.d2905233952262281487529af8de9285.JPG

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.5d2c8060b4f85cc656913595a6b1da5b.JPG

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For my team at work; a gigantic raspberry-ripple pavlova; crushed Iced Vo-Vos (classic biscuit de Australiana) and freeze-dried raspberries sprinkled on top; whipped cream (with seven vanilla beans!), meringue kisses swirled with raspberry purée, and a wending line of fresh raspberries.

 

Styled to itself look like a giant Iced Vo-Vo.

 

IMG_2567.thumb.JPG.97bcf752b1516771c6139e166664aaf1.JPG

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.873c1af59c2ac0e1a64e64236e2f95c1.jpeg

 

 More ginger cookies but not for a meeting.   I remain in search of my idea of a perfect gingersnap. This comes very close. NO!   I am enjoying one with a cup of coffee right now and these are it! Very gingery.  Almost but not quite snappy. There remains the slightest bit of chewiness in the centre. And very important to me -- crinkly tops. @Kerry Beal persuaded me to use the Thermomix (something I have resisted for cookies).  A food processor would work just as well I'm sure. In fact she told me that she used the food processor before she got the Thermomix. So I grated some crystallized ginger in the Thermomix and then added all of the other dry ingredients.   I combined these before adding the butter and shortening.  I let these ingredients get to know one another and then added the liquid ingredients.  I chilled the dough for a couple of hours  before scooping the cookies.   I think I've nailed it for me at least.

  • Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamantaschen season is starting. Just a head's up. My go-to recipe for the dough (I've never made her fillings):

http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes/desserts/hamantaschen.html

 

For me it's all about the dough. I fill with good jam or with Nutella. If the cookie part isn't good, I don't care how good the filling is, I just lose interest. I used this dough recipe for the first time several years ago, and everyone commented on it. They're best on the day they're baked, but still good the next day. In truth, they've always been good, but never quite as good as they were that first time. Just one of those indefinable mysteries of baking. Maybe I baked them for 30 seconds more, or 30 seconds less, who knows? But this is still my go-to recipe.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

Hamantaschen season is starting. Just a head's up. My go-to recipe for the dough (I've never made her fillings):

http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes/desserts/hamantaschen.html

 

For me it's all about the dough. I fill with good jam or with Nutella. If the cookie part isn't good, I don't care how good the filling is, I just lose interest. I used this dough recipe for the first time several years ago, and everyone commented on it. They're best on the day they're baked, but still good the next day. In truth, they've always been good, but never quite as good as they were that first time. Just one of those indefinable mysteries of baking. Maybe I baked them for 30 seconds more, or 30 seconds less, who knows? But this is still my go-to recipe.


I just like the name. Another one of those indefinable mysteries, some words are just naturally awesome for some reason. Hamantaschen, Hasenpfeffer...

  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cupcake-making chaos. Buttercream everywhere; I didn't even intentionally taste any, yet I have buttercream on at least six of my nine chins.

 

But as a test run for the 20 or so cupcakes I'm making for a 7 yr old girl's birthday party next weekend, it was most satisfactory.

 

Tried out some edible glitter dust, on white roses.

 

IMG_2651.thumb.JPG.7046cd4794b761f62d2d67702e3b486d.JPG

IMG_2660.thumb.JPG.694b25eb3801ed193022768c9dd8853a.JPG

IMG_2661.thumb.JPG.24fa88b72a334b35e287f66b80326a76.JPG

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@rarerollingobject, those are absolutely stunning. I don't know that I could eat one, for staring at it. 

 

58bb7e0acb227_coconutcake.jpg.c9711b86c6731caa3a342462055de64c.jpg

 

Coconut cake, as I have a friend coming to visit next week and this cake has to sit in the fridge for three days to get all nice and moist before you serve it. It's my mother's recipe, but for the fact I cheat and use fresh-frozen coconut instead of grating my own. I put too much coconut in the frosting and didn't have enough left to sprinkle as heavily on the top as I like.

 

The frosting is a mix of sour cream, sugar and coconut as a filling between the layers, with the remainder combined with grocery store whipped topping (I've tried whipped cream, but can't figure out how to get it to stay stable for several days in the refrigerator without going runny) to frost the outside. More coconut sprinkled on top and patted on the sides. It'll be about right by Wednesday, when she arrives.

 

  • Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seeing the above cakes and cup cakes , Id love a thick slice of chocolate cake w very thick frosting  ( double layer cake , like those made

 

at home a long time ago )  for breakfast with

 

 an ice cold class of full fat milk !

 

I can't even go out and buy what Ive envisioning !

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Hamantaschen season is starting. Just a head's up. My go-to recipe for the dough (I've never made her fillings):

http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes/desserts/hamantaschen.html

 

For me it's all about the dough.

@cakewalk, I agree...what is the texture like on these? I am looking for tender, not hard/dense. One place I bought from last year had something like sugar cookie which was just wrong.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kayb said:

@rarerollingobject, those are absolutely stunning. I don't know that I could eat one, for staring at it. 

 

58bb7e0acb227_coconutcake.jpg.c9711b86c6731caa3a342462055de64c.jpg

 

Coconut cake, as I have a friend coming to visit next week and this cake has to sit in the fridge for three days to get all nice and moist before you serve it. It's my mother's recipe, but for the fact I cheat and use fresh-frozen coconut instead of grating my own. I put too much coconut in the frosting and didn't have enough left to sprinkle as heavily on the top as I like.

 

The frosting is a mix of sour cream, sugar and coconut as a filling between the layers, with the remainder combined with grocery store whipped topping (I've tried whipped cream, but can't figure out how to get it to stay stable for several days in the refrigerator without going runny) to frost the outside. More coconut sprinkled on top and patted on the sides. It'll be about right by Wednesday, when she arrives.

 

Lordy, do I want this.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

seeing the above cakes and cup cakes , Id love a thick slice of chocolate cake w very thick frosting  ( double layer cake , like those made

 

at home a long time ago )  for breakfast with

 

 an ice cold class of full fat milk !

 

I can't even go out and buy what Ive envisioning !

ME TOO!

 

Maybe Kay wouldn't notice if we showed up if we were very quiet and only ate like 2-3 pieces of cake instead of the whole thing.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

@cakewalk, I agree...what is the texture like on these? I am looking for tender, not hard/dense. One place I bought from last year had something like sugar cookie which was just wrong.

They're crunchy and crisp, which is what I like. That's why they're best the same day, they lose some of the crispness as they sit with the fillings in them, but they're still good the second day. They are not hard, just nice and crisp.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A rare foray into baking...healthy banana date muffins. They are vegan as well. Very little added sugar and oil, no eggs. Very moist. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because I've so any yolks left over from work, I've made my usual brioche dough. 3 ways this time.

 

Focaccia dolce. The kids LOVED it! It has a stuffing of apricot jam and a thin layer of apples. Lightly brushed with butter and some sugar

 

IMG_6441.thumb.JPG.566befb6a5541c24425c60ec327958b5.JPG

 

Ring wirh D'Arbo plum spread and lightly sweetened toasted pecans from a TJ's

 

IMG_6444.thumb.JPG.d5bf77ec9b725906436af5faf9755ade.JPG

 

IMG_6445.thumb.JPG.70d48540474d876350f0c0fa4007d960.JPG

 

In a loaf pan with Ikea's eldelberry orange jam

 

IMG_6446.thumb.JPG.e72863bf269147cb69bba8b0e10b23f4.JPG

IMG_6448.thumb.JPG.431afe83a128e2140e4102863b67cacb.JPG

 

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...