• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Ama

23 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So if it didn't set up - you may have started beating it while it was too hot - a double batch would change the cooling time I expect. Perhaps melt it again, cool undisturbed to 110 F, then beat.

It worked, it worked!!!  Thank you so much!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

It worked, it worked!!!  Thank you so much!!!

It's something Kerry has in common with duct tape. If she can't fix it, throw it away... it's f'd up.

• Like 9

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dessert #1 for today's dinner..... French Vanilla cake; raspberry filling, butter cream icing, and a bunch of gum paste poinsettia.  I made this over at the new house, since they installed one of the ranges.  The house is not done, but, parts of it are functional, so I am trying to get used to it. Fun way to break in the new range! 

IMG_1428.JPG

• Like 14

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

Thank you, Oli!    Next up are desserts 2, 3 and 4.  One blueberry and two raspberry streusel-type things.   Garnished with raspberries and mint leaves. 

IMG_1431.JPG

You're killing me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Thank you, Oli!    Next up are desserts 2, 3 and 4.  One blueberry and two raspberry streusel-type things.   Garnished with raspberries and mint leaves. 

IMG_1431.JPG

You're killing me.

• Like 1

@oli, that looks interesting but what is it exactly?

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

@oli, that looks interesting but what is it exactly?

It's called, Chocolate Espresso Dacquois, from ATK. Won't make it again because its just tooooo rich.

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 1

For Christmas dessert, made a gingerbread cake with orange zest, with cookie butter Swiss meringue buttercream and some salted caramel glaze. 

IMG_3541 (2).JPG

IMG_3570(2).jpg

• Like 19

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

There are some seriously gorgeous treats displayed here! Here was my contribution for Christmas morning (a good way to celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas - a chocolate babka wreath courtesy of the browneyedbaker blog whose directions made it very easy!) and chocolate cupcakes for after dinner! Happy new year all!

xmas bubke.jpg

xmas cupcakes.jpg

• Like 16

Great looking galette, @Franci!

Lots of baking in this holiday season.

Last week my daughter was in the mood for apple pie. Luckily I had a bunch of apples in the fridge (Granny Smith and a pink variety, probably Pink Lady). Still I was a bit short of the 3.5 lbs I needed for the recipe, so I used an Asian pear for the remainder. I went with Jeffrey Steingarten's recipe for the filling (no cinnamon, just a bit of vanilla extract for flavoring), and David Lebovitz for the pie dough. It was great but I need to invest in a proper pie pan - the pan I used has straight edges and makes it difficult to extract a perfect slice.

Apple pie

Apple pie

Apple pie

Apple pie

I had it with crème fraiche as we often do with apple tarts in France.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 15

For Christmas dinner, I was asked to bring a dessert with no further direction. So I decided to make one of my favorite pies which is a ginger pie with a touch of rum.  I love the little crispy crust that forms on top, and the leftovers are always great the next morning.

Ginger pie

Ginger pie

• Like 13

Because my family has a few chocolate addicts, I also made a chocolate dessert for Christmas - individual soft chocolate cakes. They can be made in advance, and reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds for a molten center, and served with whipped cream. Always a hit...

The original recipe calls for baking them in ramekins. I find it easier to use a muffin pan so I don't have to worry about them potentially sticking.

Soft chocolate cakes

• Like 13

Lovely, all three of those desserts. I was particularly taken with the ginger pie so I clicked on your link. I really had to laugh - I had seen that about a year or so ago and bookmarked it, then completely forgot about it! So I will take this as a sign that I have to try that recipe. Yours looks stunning. (I was very impressed with that website and sorry that he had already stopped posting by the time I found it. And I've seen Harold & Maude several times, but never noticed the ginger pie.)

• Like 2

Just now, cakewalk said:

Lovely, all three of those desserts. I was particularly taken with the ginger pie so I clicked on your link. I really had to laugh - I had seen that about a year or so ago and bookmarked it, then completely forgot about it! So I will take this as a sign that I have to try that recipe. Yours looks stunning. (I was very impressed with that website and sorry that he had already stopped posting by the time I found it. And I've seen Harold & Maude several times, but never noticed the ginger pie.)

Thank you! :smile:

You do have to try this recipe! I've been making it for years now because I love it so much.

He doesn't post on the website anymore but wrote a couple of books!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

For Christmas dinner, I was asked to bring a dessert with no further direction. So I decided to make one of my favorite pies which is a ginger pie with a touch of rum.  I love the little crispy crust that forms on top, and the leftovers are always great the next morning.

Ginger pie

Ginger pie

Have you brought this one up before? I just went into my MacGourmet data base and there was the recipe.

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Have you brought this one up before? I just went into my MacGourmet data base and there was the recipe.

I have!

This year I used Plantation 5 for the rum. Next time I want to use an aged agricole. :)

• Like 1