• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Ama

crostata_melecotogne_coriandolo_sorgo.jp

Crostata Metla

A pie made with:

- sorghum shortbread

- coriander seed cake (thin layer between the other 2)

- quince cheese (it's quince season so I'm abusing them)

I'm happy with the result. Taste is really good and balanced, there's the fruity/honeylike of the quince cheese, citrusy spiciness of the coriander seeds, hearthiness of the sorghum flour, all 3 complement and work fine together. It's a vegan recipe that uses forgotten ingredients (at least here in Italy quinces and sorghum have disappeared from the kitchens), so I think it has a good marketing appeal.

Teo

• Like 11

Teo

@pjm333 Just trying to get some perspective on size of your squares - they do look quite delishious! Can you let us know the dimentions?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Basbousa (semolina cake), with coconut and lemon zest. Baked until crisp and lightly soaked in a syrup of honey, rose geranium, rose extract and lemon juice. Served warm with lightly sweetened tangy whipped labneh.

20161028_204538.jpg20161028_205624.jpg

Basbousa is usually baked in a pan and sliced, but I opted to bake it in a muffin tin, in order to keep the crisp edges (the middle loses crispness from the syrup). If you never had one, the texture is grainy from the semolina and coconut, and very moist. The lemon in the syrup acts to balance the sweetness (though I make mine less sweet than most).
Took only 15 minutes of work, 2 bowls and 30 minutes in the oven.

• Like 13

~ Shai N.

Only moderately hypocritical Melbourne Cup workplace strategy: I will bake for your race-watching afternoon tea because you made a big deal of inviting me to it even though I'm not in your team, so that was kind of you, and I will come along and eat a canapé and say a few choice things about the cruelty and inhumanity of horse racing in UNNERVINGLY pleasant and conversational tones, but then I will leave and not watch the race and depart the room with a loud cheery, "Welp, I'm off to not participate in the ritualistic beating and killing of animals for fun, see yas!"

This is why I'm very popular. 

IMG_9075.JPG

• Like 10

ananas_cioccolato_eucalipto.jpg

Torta Kopi

Layers from bottom to top:

- eucalyptus cake (a vegan recipe based on eucalyptus leaves' infusion in water)

- pineapple ganache (milk chocolate + pineapple juice)

- chocolate mousse (dark chocolate + cream + semiwhipped cream)

- eucalyptus cake

- pineapple mousse

- pineapple glaze

Decorations are dark chocolate chunks on the side, green colored white chocolate leaves on top (I used the wrong green, I needed a darker one).

Taste is a bit weird. I love chocolate + eucalyptus. I really like pineapple + chocolate (as I like other yellow acidic fruits with chocolate, like passion fruit or lemon). I tried pineapple + eucalyptus and liked it, it's like a cross between pineapple + mint and pineapple + thyme (both works well for me). The combination of the 3 ingredients give a result a bit different than what I imagined. It works, but being weird you need to be more explorative than conservative to appreciate it.

Teo

• Like 8

Teo

Tahini cookies, from a recipe I found on the web. They're all from the same dough. The ones on the left are a bit larger than the ones on the right. (18 gr and 15 gr, respectively.) The ones in the middle I shaped into a rectanlge and sliced, didn't roll them in sesame seeds. The ones in the middle are by far the best, which was totally unexpected.  

Tahini cookies.jpg

• Like 8

Apple pecan muffins. Apples, some grated for moisture, some diced for texture, toasted pecans and maple syrup, a little cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg. Topped with more pecans and brown sugar for crispness.

Double baked, first in a tin and then on a rack - so the interior is moist and the outside browned and crisp all around.

20161104_210933.jpg20161104_211001.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Apple/butter puff pastry roses. They're stupidly simple, but the ladies at work lost their motherfreaking minds. 

So I was pleased.

IMG_9182.JPG

People losing their minds over your food is ALWAYS a good thing. And the roses look delectable.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

mais_carote_cioccolato.jpg

Torta Eheca

Layers from bottom to top:

- chocolate biscuit

- carrot mousse (with candied carrot cubes)

- chocolate biscuit

- corn mousse

- cocoa glaze

Decorations are simple corn grains on top, candied carrot on the side.

I made this cake for a child who loves chocolate, hates all vegetables except carrots and corn. I wanted to show her that vegetables can be good in cakes, so they are much less fearful than what they seem.

I've been satisfied with the result: the pairings work well together, plus it's not so sweet (the less sweet a cake is the happier I am). It's a bit weird of course, since the sweet part is given by carrots and corn, while the chocolate parts are bitter. But this is the intended effect to send the message to her: if the sweet part is given by the hated vegetables and the bitter part by the beloved chocolate, then bitter vegetables are not those frightful monsters they seem to be.

Teo

• Like 13

Teo

I've noticed a lot of oranges hanging around the kitchen recently, so I made a cake.

Orange Cake

Orange cake.jpg

Oat flapjack

Orange & ginger marmelade

Banana & orange cake

Orange curd

Orange & vanilla chantilly

Glazes

Unusually, I had the presence of mind to take a photo once it was cut:

Orange cake cut.jpg

• Like 16