• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Ama

4 hours ago, shain said:

I love almost any sort of sweet noodles/pasta dish. Big bonus points for being really quick to prepare.

I actually should have left out the "kugel" part. It's not kugel specific. I haven't been able to sell myself on the idea of noodles in a dessert. Not sure why, I've used a lot of things in desserts that would seem much farther removed from the sweet world than a noodle. I'm going to have to think about it and decide why I drew the line at noodles.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Noodle kugel doesn't have to be sweet. I prefer the savory ones myself, although I have no qualms about eating the sweet ones, too. But even with the sweet ones, I've never seen them served as dessert, always as part of the meal.

Anyway, here's a recipe for salt & pepper kugel: https://food52.com/recipes/24335-savory-noodle-kugel-aka-salt-and-pepper-kugel I haven't tried this one, but it looks good. Although I would never use fine noodles in a kugel  (unless it's a Yerushalmi kugel, but that's a horse of a different color), but that's just me.

• Like 3

I make a sweet noodle kugel that includes cream cheese, sour cream, and drained canned crushed pineapple...I don't think I use the full amt of sugar called for in the recipe...I like it because it is reminiscent of cheesecake. And the corners with the browned noodles are the best.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 10/14/2016 at 1:35 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@kriz6912 Cool video.

Are the nails chocolate too? They are startlingly realistic, if they are. Where did you come up with such a unique and striking idea, if you don't mind saying?

Thanks. Yes, the nails are chocolate too. I was going for authenticity :-) I used food jelly to make a mould from real nails. I liked the idea of people getting totally confused by the idea of using apparently real nails in pastry :-)

I've attached some close-up photos from chocolate nails and screws. And here's a video from my Instagram feed showing removing of the chocolate from the mould and brushing them with metallic colouring to get that real look:

13741130_810718909062609_1734891528_n.jpg

13642901_1661836267468401_574570544_n.jpg

Edited by kriz6912 (log)
  • Like 18

5 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Noodle kugel doesn't have to be sweet. I prefer the savory ones myself, although I have no qualms about eating the sweet ones, too. But even with the sweet ones, I've never seen them served as dessert, always as part of the meal.

Anyway, here's a recipe for salt & pepper kugel: https://food52.com/recipes/24335-savory-noodle-kugel-aka-salt-and-pepper-kugel I haven't tried this one, but it looks good. Although I would never use fine noodles in a kugel  (unless it's a Yerushalmi kugel, but that's a horse of a different color), but that's just me.

I do love savory baked noodles/pasta, but I never made one that I'll classify as a kugel, I'll usually opt for for more interestingly/boldly flavored recipes. Also I strongly agree that thin noodles are only for Yerushalmi kugel (which is delicious!).

14 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I make a sweet noodle kugel that includes cream cheese, sour cream, and drained canned crushed pineapple...I don't think I use the full amt of sugar called for in the recipe...I like it because it is reminiscent of cheesecake. And the corners with the browned noodles are the best.

Never heard of kugel with pineapple, but it sound good. I also really like kugel with cheese, but it is most commonly flavored with raisins and cinnamon.

13 minutes ago, kriz6912 said:

Thanks. Yes, the nails are chocolate too. I was going for authenticity :-) I used food jelly to make a mould from real nails. I liked the idea of people getting totally confused by the idea of using apparently real nails in pastry :-)

I've attached some close-up photos from chocolate nails and screws. And here's a video from my Instagram feed showing removing of the chocolate from the mould and brushing them with metallic colouring to get that real look:

This is amazing!

It could be a really cool snack - a box full of nuts and bolts :)

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I like the thickness of that frosting.

was a side dish of extra offered ?

w Ice Cold Milk ?

Cup of tea - used all the buttercream - it's pretty rich!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shain said:

I do love savory baked noodles/pasta, but I never made one that I'll classify as a kugel

Then I have to ask: what makes you classify something as a kugel? And if it's not a kugel, then what would you call it? I'm not totally sure how I would define a kugel, but I know it when I see it!

• Like 1

I like things to taste the most like themselves as they possibly can - for example, if I'm making a lemon cake, I want it to be the most IN YOUR FACE LEMONY lemon cake you've ever lemoned.

And so - lemon loaf, soaked in lemon syrup, with an extra lemon/sugar crust, topped with crystallised lemon peels and a dusting of icing sugar mixed with citric acid (derived from lemon). Recipe called for two lemons; I used nine.

Lemon party.

lemon2.jpg

lemon.jpg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Then I have to ask: what makes you classify something as a kugel? And if it's not a kugel, then what would you call it? I'm not totally sure how I would define a kugel, but I know it when I see it!

Well, it's not something I've given much thought to. I think that to be a kugel in my eyes, it must be:

• Made of noodles / flat pasta - not extruded pasta (Or potatoes for potato kugel).
  • Bound with eggs, so that it is cohesive.
  • Have an "Ashkenazi flavor profile" - For a savory kugel that will mean ingredients like black pepper, onion, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, maybe sour cream or farmer cheese. For a sweet kugel, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruits, apples, sour cream or farmer cheese.
  • Be mostly brown.

And if it's not a kugel, I'd probably call it a pasta casserole.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

The last two pages of this thread just sent me into a sugar craving not previously known to mankind.   And...thank you all very much.... I just drooled all over my new MacBook Air. :o       The buttercream on Kerry's cake was absolutely the last straw.  Goodness! 

I just love you guys!!!:D   Thanks for posting all the delicious photos!

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3498.jpg

Birthday cake for dinner.

As a child, I wished to get a birthday with frosting that thick. Alas, I never did so I am living vicariously through you! Belated happy birthday.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I cannot say that I am a huge fan of cake of any ilk  but I received a slice of this chocolate cake today and had half of it with my afternoon coffee. It was delicious.image.jpeg

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

melecotogne_pistacchio_calvados.jpg

My latest creation, Torta Almaba.

I don't have a photo of a slice and it's been already eaten.

Layers were (from bottom to top):

- pistachio crunchy base

- quince cheese flavoured with calvados

- pistachio bavarois

- quince mousse

- calvados glaze

Side decoration is quince cheese, top decoration is chopped pistachios.

Teo

• Like 17

Teo

I took my sweetie's oldest granddaughter (age 5) up the block to an abandoned apple tree, and filled a couple of shopping bags with small but surprisingly good apples. The young 'un, of course, wanted to throw away anything with the slightest imperfection. :P

She decided we should make apple muffins out of them, so I obliged. 

IMG_20161020_161150[1].jpg

• Like 11

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@rarerollingobject I am not a cupcake fan but those that you produce are exquisite. This said, they are too exquisite to actually destroy in a few bites!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.