• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)

Ama

Marcy Goldman's Majestic and Moist Honey Cake, a staple for me around this time of year. One recipe makes several small loaf cakes, which I like to give to people. The two little ones on the left were scarfed down almost immediately. (By me. Both of them.)

Honey cakes.jpg

Honey cakes2.jpg

• Like 9

Well, that's Marcy Goldman's website, so who am I to argue? But that looks like a revamped recipe, not the one that came out years ago. Coca cola? That's new. The older recipe had 1 cup of coffee, she's changed it to 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup coke. I've always used the recipe as it appears on Epicurious from years back. It's pretty similar, I think the coke is the only change. I use buckwheat honey, it makes a big difference, and whiskey. Despite what she says about mixing a thick batter, be aware that this batter is so thin you can almost drink it. The first time I tried to make it in an angel food pan, but it seeped out the bottom almost immediately. I see now she suggests parchment paper in the angel food pan, but that was not in the original recipe. I grind fresh spices for this cake (cloves and allspice), and I also add about 1/2 tsp each of fresh ground nutmeg and ground ginger. The baked cake really needs to sit overnight for the flavors to shine. The only other thing I can say is, there's a lot of leavening and the cake rises alot. I would normally fill a loaf pan about 2/3 to 3/4 full. With this cake, I fill it just a bit more than half way, I've had it overflow on me otherwise. Also, it's nice with sliced almonds, I just forgot this time. Good luck and Shana Tova.

And the eggs: original recipe has 3 eggs, not 4. Here's the link to the one I make:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/majestic-and-moist-new-years-honey-cake-350153

Edited by cakewalk
Recipe update (log)
  • Like 1

I would be happy to offer my services for any that you conside imperfect.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Well, that's Marcy Goldman's website, so who am I to argue? But that looks like a revamped recipe, not the one that came out years ago. Coca cola? That's new. The older recipe had 1 cup of coffee, she's changed it to 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup coke. I've always used the recipe as it appears on Epicurious from years back. It's pretty similar, I think the coke is the only change. I use buckwheat honey, it makes a big difference, and whiskey. Despite what she says about mixing a thick batter, be aware that this batter is so thin you can almost drink it. The first time I tried to make it in an angel food pan, but it seeped out the bottom almost immediately. I see now she suggests parchment paper in the angel food pan, but that was not in the original recipe. I grind fresh spices for this cake (cloves and allspice), and I also add about 1/2 tsp each of fresh ground nutmeg and ground ginger. The baked cake really needs to sit overnight for the flavors to shine. The only other thing I can say is, there's a lot of leavening and the cake rises alot. I would normally fill a loaf pan about 2/3 to 3/4 full. With this cake, I fill it just a bit more than half way, I've had it overflow on me otherwise. Also, it's nice with sliced almonds, I just forgot this time. Good luck and Shana Tova.

And the eggs: original recipe has 3 eggs, not 4. Here's the link to the one I make:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/majestic-and-moist-new-years-honey-cake-350153

@cakewalk thank you for your advice. I made the epicurious version of Marcy Goldman's honey cake recipe and decreased the baking powder from 1 tablespoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons. It is a very tasty honey cake.  :-)

honey cake - 2016 October 2.jpg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Baking and gold-leafing fresh raspberry, whipped dark chocolate ganache, raspberry jam and freeze-dried raspberry macarons at 11pm on a Tuesday night. As you do.

As you do?

These are so beautiful!  It's closing in on 10pm on a Tuesday night here and I'm ever so sad that there will be nothing so stunning turning up within the next hour or so.  Sigh.....

• Like 3

for a baking contest in Vienna I  created a cake, rosemary in the dough, candied beets in the goats cream cheese fillig, raspberry jelly, white chocolate ganache, mirror glaze with beetroot juice, candied beets and beetroot leather for decoration

IMG_3893.JPG

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Franci said:

Very nice, I'll make it again with a larger pan to have more of the crunchy toppingIMG_5882.JPG

Like the look of that crumb. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

• Like 2

For this one, I was trying to replicate the very famous cake from Biscottificio Mattei in Prato (the most famous biscotti or cantuccini for the Italians) and so I came up with these numbers

130 g yolks (just because I've always extra yolks) 

70 g egg whites (you can adjust this proportion a bit but use at least 80 g yolks)

150 g sugar (divided, keep some for the whites)

150 g butter (softened)

vanilla/lemon oil 

170 g cake flour

pinch of salt

bakers ammonia (the tip of a knife, but most recipes use a very small amount of baking powder and many others included the Artusi, none) 

almond and optional pine nuts for the topping

Whip the yolks with the sugar, add little by little the soft and cold butter, then alternate the flour with the meringue without deflating it 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2

Apple kugel. Made with flat egg noodles, granny smith apples, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts & pecans, red wine, and dark brown sugar.

Basked covered in a low oven, then allowed to crisp in an hotter oven.
At least in my opinion, kugels are not exactly desserts, but rather more suitable for brunch or breakfast. This is way it is important that it won't be too sweet.

20161015_200143.jpg20161015_200116.jpg

I forgot to take a sliced picture, so I provide you with one from some time ago:

20150922_215431.jpg

It is fun to pull the noodles apart.

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

I don't doubt anybody's word that noodle kugel is tasty stuff... but I just haven't been able to sell myself on the idea. So I still haven't tried it.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I don't doubt anybody's word that noodle kugel is tasty stuff... but I just haven't been able to sell myself on the idea. So I still haven't tried it.

I love almost any sort of sweet noodles/pasta dish. Big bonus points for being really quick to prepare.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.