• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 3/14/2017 at 10:25 AM, ChocoMom said:

This is so beautiful!!! I LOVE the pink!  

I have to ask....did you make this to celebrate Pi Day? 

And on that note, a very happy Pi day to all!    xD

Yes. I did it partly for Pi day and partly because I had a half flat of strawberries to use up.  The "Strawberry man" who comes around periodically, showed up on Saturday with a half flat (6 baskets) of ripe strawberries. He apologized that because of a lot of crop loss this past winter when they had some hard freezes and also some flooding, they had to raise the price to $10.00 (was $8.00 last year).

I had some as is Saturday evening but needed to do something with the rest on Sunday.  

Some I hulled and bagged and put in the freezer and decided to do the pie with most of the rest.

I already had the rest of the ingredients.  I had made a batch of sour cream on Friday and had plenty of cream cheese left from the batch I had made the previous weekend.  

I tried it out on three of my neighbors and they were very enthusiastic about it because it doesn't need to be baked, uses a prepared crust and the only "cooking" is in the microwave.  

I printed out the recipe for them and one says she wants to try a strawberry-banana version. Apparently her grandmother used to make a "cheesecake" that had a similar base but she never was able to get the recipe.  

She is going to borrow one of my springform pans for her experiment - she said the way her grandma made it the thing was about 3 inches thick and had a cookie crumb crust, not graham cracker.  I gave her my recipe for a vanilla cookie crust.

There are probably plenty of options, the base could probably be mixed with any fruit. 

I FORGOT TO STATE - I LEFT THE SPICES OUT OF THE STRAWBERRY VERSION!! 

andiesenji

andiesenji

11 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

This is so beautiful!!! I LOVE the pink!  

I have to ask....did you make this to celebrate Pi Day? 

And on that note, a very happy Pi day to all!    xD

Yes. I did it partly for Pi day and partly because I had a half flat of strawberries to use up.  The "Strawberry man" who comes around periodically, showed up on Saturday with a half flat (6 baskets) of ripe strawberries. He apologized that because of a lot of crop loss this past winter when they had some hard freezes and also some flooding, they had to raise the price to $10.00 (was $8.00 last year).

I had some as is Saturday evening but needed to do something with the rest on Sunday.  

Some I hulled and bagged and put in the freezer and decided to do the pie with most of the rest.

I already had the rest of the ingredients.  I had made a batch of sour cream on Friday and had plenty of cream cheese left from the batch I had made the previous weekend.  

I tried it out on three of my neighbors and they were very enthusiastic about it because it doesn't need to be baked, uses a prepared crust and the only "cooking" is in the microwave.  

I printed out the recipe for them and one says she wants to try a strawberry-banana version. Apparently her grandmother used to make a "cheesecake" that had a similar base but she never was able to get the recipe.  

She is going to borrow one of my springform pans for her experiment - she said the way her grandma made it the thing was about 3 inches thick and had a cookie crumb crust, not graham cracker.  I gave her my recipe for a vanilla cookie crust.

There are probably plenty of options, the base could probably be mixed with any fruit.